1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2F in an FZJ80?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by phishtaco, Jul 20, 2005.

1. phishtaco

phishtaco Cincinnati

Do you think a 2F on some sort of pallet would fit in the back of a FZJ80? Good or bad idea? Sometimes I wish I still had my Tacoma.

2. beno

beno Gihee Arakawa Moderator GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    if you took both rows out, you could probably throw it in there....maybe not though...what are the outermost dimensions on the 2F?

I've gotten a lot of sheeat in my 80 with both rows out...

-o-

3. 72cruiser

72cruiser

ha ha,

i thought you were talkin abt droppin it in.....i mean, i'm old school, but that might be a little tooooo old school

malphrus

4. phishtaco

phishtaco Cincinnati

Not sure of the dimensions off the top of my head. I'll do some looking..

5. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew On the way there SILVER Star

I think it will fit if you take out the second row seats and put it in through the side door. A shop crane might be your best bet for lifting it in. It's 800 pounds though, how are you going to secure it? I would hate to have it get loose in a crash.

6. beno

Media:
    Albums:
    s***--I forgot about the securing part Marty...good call CDrew...rachet straps hooked to the tie down points in the back--6 of them back there...should that be enough?

It's gonna be a long ride from Cinncy to Warren's house in Columbus Marty... :doh:

7. zebrabeefj40

zebrabeefj40

You could probably fit it in on it's side but I doubt there's room for a pallet if you lift it in with an engine crane. I moved a 2F in the back of my 60 once. Had a tough time hooking close enough to the engine block so the hoist and motor would fit through the back. You'll definitely have to lay it on it's side too. They're too tall to fit standing up IIRC. I could stand a 2F in the back of my '77 FJ40 but I think there was more room to get through the amby doors than into the back of the '84 FJ60 I had later.

Me? I'd rent or borrow a trailer. Putting motors inside vehicles with carpet makes a MESS! The back of my 60 smelled like oil after I used it as a parts hauler. Sniffing 90 wt while trying to sleep in the back of the 60 was not the most pleasant experience!

If you do it take pictures so the rest of us see how it fits.

Nick

8. phishtaco

phishtaco Cincinnati

I'm leaning towards the trailer deal or borrowing a truck.
    Anyone wanna trade a 94 80 for a Tundra?

9. zebrabeefj40

zebrabeefj40

How soon do you need the motor? I'm heading to Warren's to pick up a furnace as soon as I return (in a couple weeks most likely) to IN (near Cincy) from NJ. I'll have plenty of room in my cube van for a motor along with the furnace if you don't need the motor "right now". I can bring my engine hoist to load/unload if needed too. All I ask for is $20 to feed my van's fuel habit.:D

Let me know if you're interested...

Nick Jennings

10. zetasig

zetasig

Okay, I am chiming in late here. I could do this, Just thinking out loud. Nick I owe you a trip to your shop. I can bring the furnace to you, no problem, IIRC Nick is pretty close to cincy and we could get the motor and swap it out down there. This saves ohh 4+ hours of towing and driving, This of course if its okay with Nick. I could put off my front axle until that time. and haul that down to IN.

I can still have the wrench fest at my place. Beno needs some manifolds done and theres plenty of other shiat to do on my junk. Like rattle can the outside. Install a windshield in the frame etc.

again if thats cool Logisitcally that might work out better. Let me know since we still have like 3 weeks until the meeting at my place.

Warren.

11. phishtaco

phishtaco Cincinnati

I could careless where we do the motor, I just want it in my 40 :) The engine is still located in Indy at the SpaceGhost hoome. My 40 is in Cincy. I think I can get everything to Cbus by then without a problem and I know I can get everything to cincy.

12. alvarorb

alvarorb Color Geek in Charge

For all the potential problems you could have, it's better to just rent a pickup from Budget.

Just my $0.02

Alvaro

13. stayalert

stayalert SILVER Star

"Sniffing 90 wt while trying to sleep in the back of the 60 was not the most pleasant experience!"

LOL you should never own a land rover. Personally? I like the smell of 90 weight...With the rover it lets me though that it might well (OK IS) be leaking....at least it isn't empty...

"It" being the tranny/transfer case/diffs/steering box

14. zebrabeefj40

zebrabeefj40

Hey Warren,

I think I like the idea of the wrenchin' deal being at your place. I REALLY don't have enough room to do that kinda group wrenchfest in my shop space. Can barely walk through right now let alone get a couple big projects going at the same time...

That said I'd be happy to come up and lend a hand for both the axle job and the motor swap. Just finishing up a motor/trans/t-case/knuckle/powesteering swap here in NJ. I can load the 220V MIG welder and the engine hoist into the van and bring'm up for the day. If needed I can even pick up the motor in Indy a few days before for Phishtaco and bring it with. Or pick up Phishtaco's 40 project in Cincy and bring it up on a dolly behind the van... or some combo of all of the options. Guess I better plan on being back in IN in 2 weeks...

Nick

15. phishtaco

phishtaco Cincinnati

SOunds like Nick might be my new best friend

16. zetasig

zetasig

yeah, Nick is a great guy, Stopped out of his way once from IN to NJ just to give me a carb part I needed. for free, Wouldnt even let me buy lunch. Whatta guy.

Well thent its AWN. Engine swap and Axle rebuild. Aug 13th at my place.

I dont know if we will NEED a welder but never hurts to have one.

Weve got some time to coordinate this, basically I will provide the BBQ, Shop, Most of the tools , Beverages. Etc.

17. phishtaco

phishtaco Cincinnati

He sounds like a good guy to me....
    My dad has a Century 110V welder in Powell that I could alway pick up and someone else can use. He has only used it once(no gas) he prefers his arc welder.
    Sounds like I need to pick up the food and cold beverages.

18. beno

Media:
    Albums:
    This is good sheeeet....

Looking forward to this...never helped on an engine swap before.

Birfs. will be fun too.

See you then.
    -o-