2F HArd to start when hot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have this problem thats been buggin the hell out of me and hope someone can help.

I have a 84 2F and starts in the morning 1St kick (Little Choke)
If you let it sit for a few hours at work it starts just fine.
Turn it off at the servo to fill it and it restarts just fine (5 Minites)

Go the shops for 30 minites and you have problems.
At first I thought it was flooding as It would take winding forever to kick into life. Once it starts its fine (Turn it off and it kick straight back to life) Had the Carb overhauled (Tune up at the same time new plugs points) seemed ok for a couple of days and now the problem is back possibly worse than before.
Took it back to the carby guy he checked it out again cant see a problem with the carby.
Replaced High Tension Leads and swapped coil for sports coil but the problem prvails.

Only mod to the fuel system is a Safari Snorkel to the Stock Air cleaner.

Any Ideas ????

Ditto on rightlane....thats what I do.

And, if it doesn't start with the pedal down when hot, then check to see if your carb cooling fan is working (the hair dryer thing on the inside front left fender)--it cools the carb after the engine shuts off so you don't boil the gas out of the carb/lines.

I say from here out we just call that thing the hair dryer...

Along those lines (and that's what your problem sounds like to me) when you're in the hot start situation and it won't start, raise your hood and look into the glass on the front of the carb (if it's a stock carb) and see if there's fuel there.

After you've driven the truck for a while (warmed up) and shut it off, you can listen to the little vent on the driver's side fender. If you hear air being sucked into it (you should be able to hear the fan at that point too) It's working. If that's the case, come back and let us know and we'll take another crack at it.

If it's not working, do a search - there are at least 2.25 million threads dealing with the carb cooling fan and where they go wonrg, and how to fix them. (search hair drier, too - I think that came up in one of the last threads - Jman covets my hair driers)

I had the same problem, and it was the fan. I decided it was too expensive to replace the temp sensor, so I hard wired the hair dryer ( :D ) to a switch in the cab. If I know I will be starting it in 15-120 minutes, I turn it on and leave it on. It has been that way for about three years, and I have only left it on overnight by accident one time....and it still started up strong in the morning.

Did Australia get the carb cooling fan? It might be a US thing. Check to see if the accelerator pump is squirting fuel in the primary carb barrel when pumping the accelerator. The gas level in the carb window is a good clue too. The gas could be evaporating out of the carb from heat (no carb fan) or if the bowl vent is plugged, as the gas in the bowl heats up, the expansion forces the gas through the carb into the intake manifold and actually floods it. If the accel pump works and the engine won't start I think its flooding itself.

It would appear the "Hair drier" is a US Thingy. There is not even a mention of it in the Australia Manual. Ive had the carb rebuilt and it all works great when it running. But leave it sit fot 20 minites and its very bloody hard to start. The carb sight glass is in the window (Not overfull or underfull)
The motor is burning oil (I dont know if that is a problem?)

I will keep investigating
BTW I have just installed a Lock right (Awsome off road, ok on road Dog in the shopping centre carpark)

i have a weber carb on mine and it does the same thing as yours. i do have the "hair dryer" on mine though.

basically it will crank right up in the morning. i just punch the accelerator and then start it.

if i drive it and turn it off and then come back and start it, it will start right up with no push of the gas etc.

if i then drive it some more and turn it off and come back and start it, that is when i have trouble. sometimes it will start by me holding down the accelerator and sometimes it won't. it basically takes some experimentation at that point.

i am used to it by now and realize this is pretty much what i have to deal with when i drive it and turn it off more than once while driving it. i am beginning to realize that it is just an old rig that has its quirks.

Have you checked for low compression or weak spark? Your fuel system sounds OK but check that the accelerator pump is squirting gas in the carb when you pump the pedal.

I have the exacty same problem with my 84 and I agree with lowetideride and rightlane I just push it to the floor and it fires right up. Sure don't ever have any problems like that with my 80. :doh:

I believe this is a cooling issue.
If i lift the hood when I stop then I can start it again ok after 20-30 minites.
Can someone please take a picky of the cooling fan (Hair drier thingy) and ill see if I can manufacture one from a computer cooling fan and a turbo timer.

Just go buy an OEM one.

Yeah, check e-bay. I got one for $15! Mine was working, but the bearing was gone in it and growling like crazy! Took me about 5 minutes to change them out. Turned the truck on, turned the truck off, carb cooling fan (hair dryer!) came on, end of story!

My 82 seems to be experiencing the same problem as TOY60. .If it sits anywhere from 30 min. to 2 hours. It turns over for 5 seconds or so before stumbling to a hard start. If I give it gas while starting it during this hard start it will still start but idle very low; like it is flooded. When I start driving it will start to buck in first and second gear. I guess because it is flooded??? Once it burns all that extra gas off it runs fine. That is just my diagnosis. But I really have no idea what the #$@% I am talking about. This is my first carbed vehicle.
Any advice???
I already performed a full tune up with all OEM parts. Everything except carb and valve adjustments.
This truck has also been sitting on and off for the past couple of years by the PO.
P.S. My carb fan works great. So rule that out.

toy60 said:
I believe this is a cooling issue.
If i lift the hood when I stop then I can start it again ok after 20-30 minites.
Can someone please take a picky of the cooling fan (Hair drier thingy) and ill see if I can manufacture one from a computer cooling fan and a turbo timer.

The carb cooling fan is much larger/higher volume than a comp cooling fan. I'll take a pick of mine here in a bit and post it up.

Is yours an FJ?

I'm going to try and rewire the fan also in the two years I've owned the Rig I've never heard it go on. Witch might be the cause for the starting problem that I have when starting it after it's been running.

The PO switched to a Weber Carb on my FJ60, does it have a carb cooling fan? Is there any difference in the Weber Models as to if it has a fan or not? I need to go through my entire truck and figure out the list of mods. One day, when I have time.

WALoe - The carb cooling fan is attached to the inner fender just below the hood hinge - it's not attached to the carb it's self. Weber or not, there's still a good bit of heat coming off of your exhaust, but I'm not sure how the Weber reacts to the heat...

MRFJ - that could very well be your problem. here's an easy check. When it's hot, and you can't get it to start right away, raise the hood and look into the glass in the front of the carb. You should see the fuel level in the bowl. (even better, check it when you shut off the truck, then check it after it's cooled to note the change. If you stand there long enough, there's a good chance you could see the fuel boil in the glass...) - if this is the problem, you'll need to rebuild. If you can't do a rebuild right away, you can field strip the top and at least change the accelerator pump. The heat dries out the leather and it won't produce pumping pressure when you need it.

toy60 - I go the photo, but I left the camera down in the truck. I'll post it ukp ASAP, but I'm out all day tomorrow, so it will be late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom