2f ENGINE KNOCK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Texican

s-Moderator
Threads
My son developed an engine knock in his FJ60, he was on his way to LSC Roundup, drove it 80 miles to Irving, when drove up in Kristies driveway he noticed it.
He pulled the pan, checked the rod and mains visiually and checked for play, found none.
Oil pressure halfway on the gauge idling, noise is very inconsistent, sometime it's there and sometimes it's not, no pattern as to when it comes and goes (accleration-idling-decelleration etc)
I remember reading several times about the rubber insulator on the cam gear doing this........any suggestions on pinpointing other than tearing into it?
Using a stethescope, the loudest area on the engine seems to be around the front of the block on the distributor side.
If it is the gear is Toyota the only source?
Butch

It's only $82 from Toyota, just called them, time to get one off a core engine and not knowing the condition is worth more than that to me to have a new one.
Butch

It could also be excess cam thrust play, but you can check this while you are in there. I think 0.012 is the limit.

mine started knocking just before it thru a big hunk of rod thru the side of the block. hope its a different knock on yours...

now im in middle of frame off restore with sbc conversion

You should get your money back from the shyster that sold you that engine. :flipoff2:

[quote author=JasonH link=board=1;threadid=13758;start=msg127603#msg127603 date=1080335678]
You should get your money back from the shyster that sold you that engine. :flipoff2:
[/quote]

GO BACK TO LURKING OR I WILL TELL EVERYONE YOUR NEW NICKNAME :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

BUTCH

Wrist pin?

Every piston related noise I have ran into in the past is consistant, with gas, coast, or run down.......and this is not.

Butch

fair enough..

:)

All the knocks I have heard in F series motors come from down low and are slightly present on idle and speed up as idle increases then taper off around 2K RPM.If this is random from the ft I would look at the crank pulley first. IIRC the cam gear is a solid case part. There is a thrust plate that could be loose and cause a knock

pretty cool documentation.

Josh and I finally took the time for diagnosis on this noise, took an engine stethescope and located it, coming from the flywheel area, removed the cover, and f' me the flywheel is loose. We installed the used engine, Josh swapped the flywheel clutch etc from his old one since it was new, he either did not tighten them good or something else went wrong, more to come when we tear into it.
Butch

I also have a 2F engine knock and it seems to be coming from the lower end. It happens mostly on acceleration. I have the oil pan removed and checked all the rod bearings. They all seem to have the same play side to side. Nothing unusual. Should I remove the rod bearings just to make sure? If not the rod bearings, is the knock likely from a wrist pin? What about main bearings? What else to look for while I am in there? Thanks for your help.

Exhaust leak.

It is definately not an exhaust leak. I have had several people familiar with engines listen to it and they all say it is coming from inside the engine lower end. I didn't try the stethoscope procedure while I had it running so I am at a disadvantage there. With the oil pan off, what should I be looking for other than an obvious sloppy rod bearing? Thanks.

You check crank bearings by removing the caps and measuring the clearance with Plastigauge. If a bearing is bad enough to knock, it will often be obvious by just looking at it. Bearings are bad all the time; not just during acceleration. What you are describing sounds more like preignition or an exhaust leak. Both of these get worse with increasing engine load, like flooring it going up hill in 4th gear. It is better to start a new thread than piggy back on a 5 year old one.

So will an exhaust leak cause a knock inside the engine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom