2F Engine ID Help??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rorkis

REO1
Threads
Hi,
Have a 2F engine with the following serial number.... 2F877607 stamped on the block by the starter but no vehicle VIN. Anyone have any idea on how to tie this to a production year and vehicle? Toyota parts dealerships have no idea? Can only work with VIN.

Thanks!

Randy

If only there were a stickied thread titled "2F serial number info" at the top of the section. ;)

Thanks..I went through that entire thread before I posted this!!!! and it was of no help. I could not find anything close the serial number listed.
2F877607

I have also been to most of the LC websites. Still no help. Was hoping to get some help here but based on your attitude that will not happen.

Best info I could find so far. No help

coolfj40_2270_364289953

Thanks..I went through that entire thread before I posted this!!!! and it was of no help. I could not find anything close the serial number listed.
2F877607

I have also been to most of the LC websites. Still no help. Was hoping to get some help here but based on your attitude that will not happen.

Here is a web page with a few more engine serial numbers: http://www.tlcparts.com/faq.html

Uh, that was meant for frame/vin numbers....

Here is some good info: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/40-series-registry.771909/

Last edited:
Thanks...maybe this is out of an Fj60? If yours is an 83 and starts with 753xxx the one I have may be a later year and out of an FJ60. I only have the motor.

Does anyone know how long they produced the 2F? Are there other vehicles it could be in? besides to obvious? FJ40, Fj45, Fj55....FJ60...etc. Looks like if your engine serial is 753xxx this motor is newer than that? This one is 2F877607. So is it safe to say this is post 83 and most likely may be out of something other then an Fj40? None of the resources I have found show an FJ 40 with an engine serial number in the 877xxx range.

Any ideas? Thanks

P
Hi,
Have a 2F engine with the following serial number.... 2F877607 stamped on the block by the starter but no vehicle VIN. Anyone have any idea on how to tie this to a production year and vehicle? Toyota parts dealerships have no idea? Can only work with VIN.

Thanks!

Randy
Probably from an 86 or 87 FJ60. My engine number is 2F859559 and it's from a late 84 FJ60.

That engine (2F877607) is most likely from an FJ60, like you said it is too late to be out of an FJ40/43/45 or FJ55 and I don't think any other vehicles received the 2F. FJ70s had the 3F and FJ80s had the 3F/3FE.

The latest dated one posted by "we" (the collective 'MUD) is 2F860452 - March of 85.

2F889248 is the latest 2F engine period on 'MUD - no idea of date though.

So that's cool, but it won't help you find a frame number because your engine has been swapped from a different vehicle. If you are trying to get engine parts, tell them you have a 1986 or 1987 FJ60. If they truly need a VIN (which they shouldn't for engine parts), then ask someone in the 60 section for a valid VIN from that era of vehicle to use as a reference. Better yet scrap your local Toyota dealer if they can't figure this out and order stuff from beno (Onur) here on MUD.

Now if you still need the VIN for your FJ40, let's try this: Just to be clear, would you mind posting pics of (and hopefully reading numbers from) the following:
-the outside of the front right frame rail. This is where the VIN should be stamped.
-Assuming your FJ40 is mid-late 70s, the VIN tag on the A pillar door jamb area.

If you don't have either of these two items then you have a mystery Cruiser and "we" will have to sort out the model year some other way. What does the vehicle registration say? Pictures of the interior and exterior will tell "us" approximately what model year it is, and then a reference VIN could be obtained from the 2F serial number thread spreadsheet.

Again assuming it's a mid-70s model, you won't have the 17-digit or whatever VIN they might be looking for, you will only have the old 10-digit VIN. Again, you might want to talk to beno.

Thanks to all. At 2F877607 Looks like it is out of a Late 85 (9/85 2F870505) to Mid 86 (6/86 2F883140) Fj60 as best the numbers tell us.
Thanks Again...Randy

Also someone asked if this is the one on Craig's list. Yes.

Was going to purchase but not a good fit for what I am looking for. Guy thought it was out of FJ40. Thanks to all that assisted in sorting this out. It could be a good deal from one of you FJ60 guys or FJ40 guy that does not care that it came out of FJ60. The guy is just down the street from me.
Thanks Again..Randy

Was going to purchase but not a good fit for what I am looking for. Guy thought it was out of FJ40. Thanks to all that assisted in sorting this out. It could be a good deal from one of you FJ60 guys or FJ40 guy that does not care that it came out of FJ60. The guy is just down the street from me.
Thanks Again..Randy

Why?

It's a perfect engine for your 40. Very easy to add power steering too.

For the current build I want an original FJ40 2F block. I have 2 other Fj40s. One is a serious mudder (1980 with 38.5s, PS, lockers, alum tub..etc.) the other is a soon to be garage queen (77 FJ40). The one I am building now is going to be a near original truck. So might be good for parts but not much more. It has been sitting in a barn uncovered since 2000. My guess it there is not much that is good other than carb (as a rebuild), oil cooler, head casting, distributor, maybe crank and cam...but doubtful since it has been sitting and do not know the reason it was taken out of truck originally. The guy wants $325 for it. So all of these items are marginal at best at that price. Who knows the block may be cracked or a thrown rod. My experience is that most 2F motors do not fail real gracefully. So at that price it is marginal for what I need.

Thanks for all the help!

Another indication that it's a late model FJ60 engine is that it has the 3F bellhousing attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom