2F Engine History in My FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey. First post, new FJ60 owner. I have a1987 that apparently has had the engine replaced by a PO at some point. Near as I can tell it was done 10+ years ago. There is a number in yellow grease pencil on the valve cover, CE-3989 I believe, and also a PO#. Does anyone have an idea how to go about finding out where this engine might have come from? I realize there are virtually unlimited possibilities if junkyards are considered, but I'm thinking it might have been a JDM motor. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. And thanks to everyone for the tips on replacing the timing cover, side cover, and oil pan gaskets. OMG were they all leaking.

Look on the lower passenger side, near the oil dipstick/distributor insert -there should be a serial number stamped on a flat area.
I replaced the original 888xxx number engine in my '87 with one in the 335xxx range, it was rebuilt and has about 34,000 miles under my thumb, dunno how many miles it ran before I got it...
HTH
Edit-to-add:
Search on the 40 series forum for a listing of serial numbers to deduce the origin of the replacement engine?

Look on the lower passenger side, near the oil dipstick/distributor insert -there should be a serial number stamped on a flat area.
I replaced the original 888xxx number engine in my '87 with one in the 335xxx range, it was rebuilt and has about 34,000 miles under my thumb, dunno how many miles it ran before I got it...
HTH
Edit-to-add:
Search on the 40 series forum for a listing of serial numbers to deduce the origin of the replacement engine?
Thanks, micruz60. My engine number is 871744, and my 60 has a 10/86 date of manufacture. The numbers sort of line up time-wise, which is likely a coincidence. I'm not sure how to check engine number with my VIN, but I'm close to 100% certain the truck does not have the original motor. The search goes on...The truck spent most of it's time in Oregon, and then time in Montana, that I know. Somewhere else in between? Who knows.

You'll likely never know. It's nice that the engine that is in your truck is close to the right date. There are many threads on the oil pan gasket. Timing cover isn't too bad, but an FSM or read threads here - there are tricky bits. The side cover is just a pain in the butt. I wrote a article in TLCA on this, but cannot find it. You don't have to pull the A/C compressor bracket, but you will have to remove the distributor and get very creative to get the side cover out of there.

You'll likely never know. It's nice that the engine that is in your truck is close to the right date. There are many threads on the oil pan gasket. Timing cover isn't too bad, but an FSM or read threads here - there are tricky bits. The side cover is just a pain in the butt. I wrote a article in TLCA on this, but cannot find it. You don't have to pull the A/C compressor bracket, but you will have to remove the distributor and get very creative to get the side cover out of there.
Thanks, Steve. I have everything off with paint drying and am looking forward to reassembly. Distributor is out, AC/Alternator bracket removed, oil filter...This motor had been leaking out of every cork gasket for a long time I think, and there is the usual thick goop all over everything. Time consuming to clean, but rewarding. I think I got lucky with a leak free rear main seal, but I have a new one in a box in case I am wrong. Tranny still installed. I have all water hoses I can find on order, and seals for the oil cooler coming. Replaced valve cover gasket and nut seals yesterday. Any other leak areas I should look at while it’s taken apart?

Sounds like you're doing it right.

Fuel pump? Use a thin coating of FIP on both sides of the gasket. With a big flat sealing surface, they should seal easily, but sometimes don't. Be sure to reuse/include the fuel pump spacer if you have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom