2F-E in Africa - Lots of questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you putting one in the front also? I used to pick wheels up at the front all the time so I ended up putting the locker in the front and it made a huge difference. In the back was good but in the front it was great :)

The diff was swapped ( semi for full floater ) thus while the third member was coming off ( 4,56:1 diff ratio ) I thought it a good time to replace the Aussie Locker with ARB .
If one day I need work done to the front diff I may consider a ARB there as well . At the moment I have a LSD from a 80 series retrofitted to the front .

See writeup here : https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/322957-oem-lsd-80-gxl-into-fj62-front-diff.html

It is not a locker but helps a bit - better than open diff . Should last long as when hubs are open it does not operate .

Just a few final pictures :

The fuel pump cover
picture_003.jpeg

Before :
img_2985.jpeg

The surge tank cover
picture_002.jpeg

Before :
img_2986.jpeg

The ECU mounted in the side panel - you can plug in the laptop any time and change setting ( very user friendly ) - still need to make dust cover
picture_004.jpeg

Final setup
picture_007.jpeg

Still a few minor things that needs to be tidied but for now just enjoying the drive .

Saturday evening got me thinking. The ceramic coating on the headers does not perform as well as the wrapping did and there is too much heat around the intake , alternator etc .
One solution was to consider a Hilux style bonnet air scoop. Then I had an idea and started planning it. .Later the evening all was done and it works better than anticipated .
Stainless steel 0,6mm sheet that was a chimney flue in a previous life.

img250.jpeg

Good idea, but here they came with a 3 piece heat shield that bolts on pretty easy. John

Just over a year after the efi-conversion the car went for a third tuning. Still running aftermarket ecu and keeping the OEM harness and ecu on standby )

See the printout of the tuning - before is the lower line and after is the higher line .
The car was running very lean at WOT and that was corrected . The lambda sensor was also not correctly setup . Comparing it to a Innovate AFR meter ( widenband) my narrowband lambda senor had to be set at 0,7 ( and not 0.5) for the engine to run stoic .

Mace12132FE.jpeg

Now to see if it imporves economy .
Car does run smoother and it is more pleasurable to drive

Wow- if the retune got rid of that dip, that's a big improvement in what passes for 'top end' on these trucks.

And if that's rear wheel kW, that's pretty impressive- 160, in horses power.

Interesting how high the torque peak is compared to the 2F, too.

t

Update :

Upgraded ECU ( Keeping old one as a spare in case it fails in the bush) . Same manufacturer ( Spitronics ) so using the same harness .

Gained a bit of KW and Torque. Car drives very smoothly now and maintaining 14,7 AFR most of the time
166HP and 261 Ft/Lb on the wheels ( 33")

Mace0416.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Looks like the new computer netted you 10% through the typical driving range. I bet it's a real pleasure to drive. :clap:

I'll have to keep an open mind towards aftermarket control if I find the desire to squeeze more out of my 2FE (soon to be 2) down the road.

I bet it sounded nice up at 4500 with the balanced bottom end. I had mine up to 5000 a couple of months ago, sounded mean. :hillbilly:

The extra 20 Nm at 1500-2000rpm makes daily driving a pleasure .
Only problem is that first gear is now obsolete - I pull away in second . Feels like I can do with even larger wheels .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom