2f double water temp sender? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

reddog90

SILVER Star
Threads
My temp gauge was reading 0 so I ordered a new aftermarket water temp sender thinking this was an easy fix. My truck was half way desmogged by a PO, and the air rail is limiting access to the sender. I have a cap & plug kit to install right now as well. I removed the air cleaner to begin removing the air rail and noticed it looks like I have two water temp senders. Any ideas what's going on here?

nnbMKhS.jpg

CMPc4RV.jpg

if you remove them 1 is longer ad if you look close they have different numbers on them

x3

Below is a 6/76 EWD ,

in the Lower left hand side of the Diagram is the Thermo-Sensor for the emissions Computer , the wire color might be black , buts its unclear ?

in the middle right hand side is the Water Tamp. Sender for the Instument Guage Cluster meter , It has a Yellow wire w/ green tracer stripe

a nice addition to help keep your Coolant Sender's & Thermo Sensors from the Ravages of age & time is this :

DSCN9810.JPG

DSCN6836.JPG
DSCN7475.JPG
DSCN7481.JPG
DSCN7496.JPG

Thanks for the help guys. I'll replace my water temp sender, plug the air rail, and research desmogging more.

Got the air rail out. It was kind of a bugger, some of the connections were rusted almost solid. I let them bathe in PB blaster a few days and finally got them to break loose. I got the plugs in, new water temp sender in, did some cleaning with simple green, a blue scotchbrite and a toothbrush and put it all back together.

DsKXh2V.jpg

I'll research more on desmogging. Can I get a plug for this thermo sensor for the emissions computer? If I remove and plug it, how far back do I trace its wire in the harness before I cut/cap it off?

You may just leave it as is. I’m going through the same exact thing as you. I’m waiting to get the new connection and boot from @RAGINGMATT, then I will fix my water temp sending unit connection and leave the thermo sensor alone. I’m not sure why I would want to remove the thermo sensor other than to clean things up a bit more.

The hexagonal steel fitting below the coolant sender and thermo sensor is called a “ Union “

It JIS pipe male threads that screw into the cylinder head

It’s female threads have a female concave bevel At the bottom

, the sensor & sender are made of brass and have a male concave bevel

Hense a compression fitting

I don’t know the exact JIS thead pitch and diamiter of the top side concave bevel parts off top of my head
But it is Very course

In order to plug it and remove the thermo sensor you would need a JIS brass plug of that size with a beveled compression type fitting tip or end profile

I have never see one ?

If one was missing and I neeeded a plug in my shop for some reason I would simply install a new thermo sensor or coolant sender and consider that my delete plug , the male spade ♠️ terminal can be carefully cut off with a dremmle tool Flush with the top of the epoxy colored substance , DO Not carve up
The clearish epoxy substance it seals out
Air and moisture from migrating down the brass sender sensor body

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom