2F cop Motor from Mosley Motors or Cummins 2.8 Diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It says on the website that Mosley motors is not building the 2f motors. It's on the bottom of the website.
That's not what it says. It says they aren't taking orders right now. I presume because he has too many to build at the moment.

Here is a cut and paste:

As of June 2021, we have a considerable wait list and are experiencing long lead times with our machine shops. We not accepting new orders at this time.

Wow, I would think a low mileage engine from a FJ60 would still be something you could find.
Check the want adds. Those have become hens teeth. The FJ60 only outlasted the FJ40 by a few years before the 3FE.

I know I'm going to need to replace or rebuild my tired 2F sooner than later. It's not a daily driver year round but I really enjoy driving it as much as I can depending on weather and would like a little more performance. Money is definitely top of mind but curious what the pros and cons are of each motor? I could install the 2F cop motor myself but would probably have to pay to have the 2.8 installed. Do both engines work well with the H55F transmission.
I will be installing a R2.8 mated to a H55F and split transfer case. I got the adapters from Overland Cruisers in Montana along with the motor mounts and the crossmember for the transmission.

The adapters consist of a machined aluminum plate the a 2F or 3F bell housing bolts up to. You exchange the fly wheel the comes with the R2.8 for one that they machine out mass and bolt on a crank extender that a 2F flywheel bolts too.

Stack up the drive train like you would a 2F and get the H55F where you want it and use the motor mounts on the 2F bell housing to set where everything fits front to back tack the new motor mounts and the mounts for the crossmember. Pull out the drive train and weld the mounts out.

The transmission will be in the same location it would be with the 2F motor because of the 2F bell housing motor mounts.

Overland Cruisers provides the Toyota part numbers for motor mount isolators and the for the transmission crossmember.

ADAPTER PLATE INSTALLED.jpg

CRANK EXTENTION AND FLYWHEEL INSTALLED.jpg

REMOVED THE FLYWHEEL.jpg

REPLACMENT CUMMINS FLYWHEEL THAT WAS DE MASSED.jpg

Curious what are current 2F rebuild/machine prices? I got a quote from Jim for domed pistons. I would get it machined and do the assembly myself with new gaskets and bearings etc. I do love the idea of the 2F but also thinking about spending the money on a 2uz conversion instead. Again I would do all the work myself. When messaging others on here they love the 2uz mated to a 5 speed and seems like it could come out cheaper or close to the same. Some might fuss over the 2uz computer etc but many are spending a lot on a sniper for the 2F anyway. Maybe I’m way off but interested in 2F costs vs the 2uz route. One person I messaged said he has maybe $6,000 in parts for 2uz conversion he did himself after parting the vehicle out. That was engine, trans, clutch, wiring, etc. That build was about 3 years ago so prices would change some. Anyway just seeking some advice. I’ve got 2F sitting in the corner.

Jason

I do love the idea of the 2F but also thinking about spending the money on a 2uz conversion instead.

I want to drive a 40 with a 1FZ in it. Ditch the Toyota computer for a modern option and more flexibility on sensor options. The most important being a MAF sensor. I bought one last fall from Toyota strictly because I was told by the parts cut that it had a discontinued tag on the part number.

I love the R2.8 in mine. There's some quirks I don't care for, but all around I'm happy with it.

Last edited:
If you're serious about a Toyota V8, look at marine engines.

@Malleus Why the marine? Are you talking about the ones in the discontinued epic ski boats? Or are there others? Just seems like the 2uz would be easier at least a couple companies are doing the wiring harness and if needed any auto parts store is going to have parts for it if needed not to mention just about every mechanic has seen a 2uz if ever needed.

The marine 2UZ versions don't have the ignition interlock computers. The wiring is much simpler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom