2F carb tuning? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all...
I am brand new to the site, but a six-year owner of a 1987 FJ60 that needs, among many other things, a little carburetor tuning. The mix is just running a little rich, I think, partially due to the fact that I just moved from Washington state (~800 ft.) to Colorado (~6000 ft.). Anyhow, I've done carb work on motorcycles and two-stroke engines before, but never on the Cruiser, and my Chilton book doesn't have a picture of the 2F carb in it. I was hoping somebody could at least tell me which screw adjusts the main mixture, or maybe even could recommend a repair book. Gotta pass emissions next month...always makes me nervous.

Thanks for the help!

If the High Altitude Compensator hardware is still there and functional, you shouldn't need to do anything. The only thing on the carb that is adjustable is the idle mixture. If it still has the factory cap on it, then it likely hasn't been messed with and may be ok. The main mixture is set with the jets and can be left stock for sea level up to mountain altitudes. If the carb has never been serviced then it may be due for a rebuild or at least a new secondary vacuum diaphram. I'd get the thing tested as is to see what it needs, just don't wait until the end of the grace period to get the test done.

80503 shops?

Dammit...I was kinda hoping to do it myself. But hey, nuthin but the best for my girl. Anyhow, you being in Boulder and me being in Niwot, do you have a favorite shop locally that might be a good choice for the job?

There's nothing that can be done to a 60 that you can't do yourself , if you really want to. But if you want a good objective opinion of what needs to done, check out Charley's Garage in north Boulder. They are quite knowledgable on older Cruisers and quite capable. I don't think they do any offroad mods but can do an outstanding job of anything related to a stockish Toyota.

If you want to do it yourself, the 2F engine manual (publication 36104E) has complete instructions on rebuilding and adjusting the carb. The 2F emissions manual (publication RM36043) gives complete instructions on troubleshooting the various emissions components. Both manuals are available from Toyota.

Emissions worries?

You do not need to worry about emissions anymore in Colorado. It just changed in January.

What about Golden? I'm also moving from WA state and just sold my header because I called an exhaust shop and said they have emissions testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom