2F Carb rebuild - Can’t remove needle valve seat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dogcruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m disassembling the OEM carb for my 2F and having one heck of a time getting the needle valve seat to unscrew from the top cover. It won’t budge! I bought the widest slotted screwdriver I could find on Amazon for a snug fit. I hit it with PB Blaster yesterday and still nothing. Any suggestions? I’m starting to damage it and would prefer not to screw anything up.

Everything else came apart with no issues. Just can’t get this one piece out.

FAE88F92-8155-4AEA-B5B3-4ED526A193AD.jpeg

A22AE06C-2E69-4C38-9E1E-62FACEC20A35.jpeg

Try tightening it just a bit and I free it up and then back it out. Or you could take your screwdriver and put it in the slot and lightly tap it to try and free it up.

what cps said, give it the ol Tappy-tap-tap to try and loosen some of that static friction. Also throw some heat at the brass

or purchase a manual impact driver with the right-sized flat head bit or socket.

These are magical tools. No doubt one of these will get it out and save it from destruction. Used one of these to remove my dizzy breaker plate screws. Locked solid but hit it with the impact driver and they came right out still completely usable. Go easy on that soft brass though.

Amazon product ASIN B000NPPATS

A previous rebuilder may have used loctite on those threads for who know what reason, because it shouldn't be that stuck; it's brass on zinc or aluminum alloy after all. Heat till you get a bit of smoke.

don't use a flat head screwdriver. There is a toyota SST (Vendor - NOS SST 09860-11011 Carburetor ScrewDriver Set w/case - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/nos-sst-09860-11011-carburetor-screwdriver-set-w-case.1083091/). The SST has a T or L handle to give more leverage.

If you can fab something out of flat metal the correct thickess or purchase a manual impact driver with the right-sized flat head bit or socket. The impact driver might be your best bet at this point to break it free.
Eureka! That’s a great setup.

Voila!! I tried everything except the carb SST (because that hasn’t yet arrived at CruiserMatt’s) but I was able to get it free.

Here’s my process../
1. Bought a 3/8” screwdriver driver but that wouldn’t do it.
2. Bought a 1/2” screwdriver from Amazon (it’s pretty nice) and it fit like a charm but it flares out too wide and doesn’t have room to turn.
3. Bought the Tekton manual impact driver but it’s way too aggressive. I’m not using a 3kb sledge to smack the carb.
4. Creme brûlée torch got things hot but not sure if that helped much at all.

Chicken dinner:
In the end I took the 3/8” slotted bit that came with the manual impact driver, attached that to my Makita 18v impact driver and, after going full Swedish chef with the torch for about a minute, I gave the Makita a few quick squeezes and it came loose. No loctite on the threads, but it was locked very tite.

D77B2E3E-5DD6-4EA5-8388-ECB3D70F1D52.jpeg

2CE1CF86-5D53-415C-97E2-AA9BB87B22A0.jpeg

C6DAEDAB-40CA-42B0-B1D7-9E96D76A422C.jpeg

When you put it back, don't use loctite but make sure its tight. Mine unscrewed. It took three years, but it eventually unscrewed and caused my LC to act like it was running out of fuel because the float would shut off the fuel and not let the bowl fill up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom