2F Burning Oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
members.sounddomain.com
I've had the cruiser ('78 2F w/ stock carb) sitting in the garage since summer and have started it up every once in a while. Today I had it out and took it for a quick run around the block and noticed there seems to be a lot more bluish smoke than what there was (and I stink like oil now too :D )

I did a compression test last summer and though I can't remember exactly what the numbers were, they were all within 10% of each other.

Wondering if you could confirm my thoughts for me...

- burning oil is a result of either a) shot rings or b) valve guides/seals
- to determine which it is, I can do a wet compression test (shooting oil in teh cylinders and seeing if that changes the dry readings). If it does change the readings, then my rings are to blame. If not, the head comes off.
??????????????????????????????

And some questions
- can I do a ring job w/o pulling the engine? (drop the oil pan and get things from there?)
- when doing a compression test, do I need to let the engine warm up first before taking the readings?

Thanks again for all the help guys

And no, I don't want to put a SBC in it

Run it some more, before you tear anything apart...

If it has been sitting, you could have a stuck rings, allowing oil to get into the combustion chamber...

I would perform the compression test with the engine warm...

Yes, if you add oil and there is a large increase in comp. number, you have a ring issue.

and yes,

you can re-ring the engine, inframe. I have done it, it is really not that big of a deal.

You will get some that say it is a waste of time, but if the holes do not need anything other than a hone, and the rod bearings look fine, then you should be fine. While the head is off, have it gone through, you do not need a "twenty-five" angel valve job, just have them make sure the seats and valves are sealing, and not worn, replace whatever is bad, and you should get a long, long life from this engine...

Good luck!

-Steve

Oh, and forgot this..

I have removed the spark plugs on engines that have had stuck rings in them, and poured into the cylinders marvel mystery oil, and had them free up, after letting them soak in that stuff for a while. You may need to re-fill the cylinders after a couple days..but let it soak for a while, it could free them up, and you would be good to go again...

Just another thought..

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom