2BBL in an F Engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scoobiedubes

SILVER Star
Threads
I've got a 66 FJ45LV with the original F engine and I'm just looking for some performance upgrades without going too crazy. This is my second 40 series with an F engine, have had 3 others with the 2F and it's hard not to keep wishing the F could run like the 2F.

I'm doing the pertronix upgrades as I've done in the past because they're simple and provide a good bang for the buck, but at the end of the day I think the carb is the biggest thing. I've looked all over here as well as the FJ vendor sites, and pretty sure there's no simple bolt-on way to install a 2BBL carb onto an F, but thought I'd post and see if anybody has any ideas.

I did see this posted on eBay by the way, but had not ever heard of Toyota putting a 2BBL on a mid-60s F before. Is this legit?

Yes, that’s factory. MAF also offered an aluminum plenum to put a 2bbl on top of the 1bbl intake.

Trouble is, you’re still dealing with the limitations of siamesed ports.

I know of two instances where an F145 head was put on an F135 block. Its kind of an extreme option, but it got both those guys out of a bind.

FWIW, my D40 1bbl will flow enough air to go 80+. Acceleration...well that’s another story. :doh:

Last edited:
Yes, that’s factory. MAF also offered an aluminum plenum to put a 2bbl on top of the 1bbl intake.
So there were 2BBL carburetors on some mid-60s FJs? I never knew that, was that a factory option or something? That particular listing seems pretty pricey, just the first time I've seen the part.

Trouble is, you’re still dealing with the limitations of siamesed ports.

Good point. Maybe it's not worth it, but I'm curious if anybody has used the MAF adapters and how that's affected performance on an F?

Do two 1BBL carbs count? (Offenhauser)

Do two 1BBL carbs count? (Offenhauser)

IIRC, that was one of Harold Graves first sand castings (founder of ManAFre). Kay Specter would know the answer to that.

IIRC, that was one of Harold Graves first sand castings (founder of ManAFre). Kay Specter would know the answer to that.
I was looking into this this morning and seems like unobtainium now, but interesting information sounds like it did actually work pretty well. I'm mulling over the MAF adapter + weber option right now, a little scared to take the plunge if nobody else has tried it but I guess someone has to be the guinea pig right?

Found someone locally that’s done a few restorations on FJs and tried the MAF route before, he said he didn’t feel like the added power was very noticeable. So I think I’m going to shelve this idea, but wanted to kind of complete the thread for any future searches. Imagine someone else someday will be looking for a way to do this again...

I was looking into this this morning and seems like unobtainium now
Just need a couple of carbs and you’re good to go Offenhauser Toyota Land Cruiser 235 Dual 2x1 Aluminum Intake New | eBay

Hoping to get my dual carb setup going in the (near) future. Only doing it because it’s what I have.
IMG_1414.JPG

Hoping to get my dual carb setup going in the (near) future. Only doing it because it’s what I have.

is this your engine? would love to see detailed pics of the linkage setup when back inside your rig... do you have a build thread?

seen plenty of the dual carb setups pics ... but... never any good detail

Last edited:
Thought it required that early MAF adapter that they discontinued a long time ago?
Mine has Carter carbs. Not sure what the MAF adapter is.

I’ll see if I can find the video JP @ClemsonCruiser has on a running offy setup.

OR you could buy the 2 barrel to 1 barrel adapter (shown above, many on ebay), then get one of my FiTech/Sniper installation kits and have fuel injection on the 135.

OR you could buy the 2 barrel to 1 barrel adapter (shown above, many on ebay), then get one of my FiTech/Sniper installation kits and have fuel injection on the 135.
Have a link to that setup so I can read up on it? I did actually just order one of those 2 barrel to 1 barrel adapters from Cruisercorps this morning. So here's my order of options I'm going to try.
  1. rebuilt single barrel carb - should have this finished next week and see if it's significant enough. I'll probably drive with this for a few months before I try anything else.
  2. Redline adapter to put in a 2 barrel Weber. Maybe with EFI?
  3. Offenhauser 2x 1BBL setup
  4. Put in a 2F.
And I've already accepted the fact I'm going to waste some money in this process but hopefully I can help someone else down the road looking to do something similar. I don't expect #1 will be something I'm happy enough with but I need a baseline if nothing else. And if I go to #3, i've got a recently rebuilt carb I'd need anyway so no loss there. If I don't ever do #3 I can sell those parts I imagine. #2 seems simplest but have only spoken to one person that's done it and he said he didn't notice a major difference but it's worth a shot I think.

#4 I really would hate to take the original engine out of my LV, but if I can find a space for it I guess I can always crate it and include it with the sale if I ever decide to sell the truck. I have had 2 other trucks with the 2F AND the H55F and those trucks drove amazingly well, but there's obviously a high cost associated with going that route.

I will keep this thread updated as I try out each of these options, this is probably going to take a few years to really hash it all out. Unless I get lucky and just love my rebuilt carb.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom