2B vs 3B and Turbo Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BreckenridgeCruiser

I break things.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
teqtach.com
Thanks to those for tolerating my questions. I apologize if these have been addressed before but I haven't had much luck searching previous posts.

Well, here are my Q's:

1) What is the differences between the 2B and the 3B engines? I have heard the head is different (I know they have different compression - 2B is the same compression as the 1B but with the bore/stroke of the 3B). I have also heard that there are no skirt cooling jets (squirts the bottom of the piston with oil) in the 2B. Are these two things true? What else might I be missing? Can I add the skirt coolers or is it plumbed into the block?

2) What issues would I have turboing a 2B? Obviously without the cooling jets I might need to realy watch the pyro...Is it worth it to turbo the engine and run the risk of overheat or shortening engine life?

BTW, the truck is a BJ44 that will be driven between 5k and 10k ft above sea level consistently. 120 miles on the motor. Oh, and I am ordering th toyota manuals for the B-2B-3B motors.

Thanks again! Sorry if these are redundant questions!

Kraig

Turboing a 2B is the same thing than a 3B or 2H engine .. are engines without piston swuirt cooling .. but are really stronger engines ..

IDI both so I personaly recomended no more than 12PSI of boost .. you gonna buy a turbo kit . ?

Tapage said:
Turboing a 2B is the same thing than a 3B or 2H engine .. are engines without piston swuirt cooling .. but are really stronger engines ..

IDI both so I personaly recomended no more than 12PSI of boost .. you gonna buy a turbo kit . ?

The 3B has pistion/oil skirt cooling.
Which makes me think the 2B does as well.
I am no expert. But I thought the 2B and 3B were the same block wiht a different head.

There must be someone here that knows.

Nick.

Last edited:
Tapage said:

The 3B HAS piston skirt cooling. I know 'cause I've rebuilt a 3B before and those squirters were under the pistons and plumbed into the block. I can't tell you anything on the 2B 'cause I haven't seen one before.
The 2H doesn't have piston skirt cooling and that makes the 3B a more desirable engine for turbocharging.

The 2B does not have piston skirt cooling. I don't know about canada but in Japan the 3B's I have and have seen do not have piston skirt cooling. If it is a 13B it has piston skirt cooling. Here the difference seems to be if it has the (1) before the engine number seems to indicate that it has piston cooling and Direct injection (1)3B, (1)3B-T, (1)4B etc.
The compression ratio on a 2B is 22.5 to 1 and I don't recommend anything over 12psi for this engine.

Check the side of the block. You can see the piston skirt oilers on the outside of the block. They are teardrop shaped sort of. I'm 99% sure ALL 3B's had piston skirt cooling. The "1" definitely indicates direct injection though.

cruiser_guy said:
Check the side of the block. You can see the piston skirt oilers on the outside of the block. They are teardrop shaped sort of. I'm 99% sure ALL 3B's had piston skirt cooling. The "1" definitely indicates direct injection though.

right ! here in europe we have all Gasoil motor 3B (bj42/46) and B (BJ40/43) and also 13BT (BJ71/74)

1 is for direct injection so

13B = direct injection 3.4 liters
13BT = turbocharged direct injection 3.4 liters
14B = direct injection atmo 3.6 liters
14BT = the same 3.6 liters with turbo
3B = indirect injection (pre combustion chambers) 3.4 liters
B = indirect injection 3.0 liters
2B= indirect injection 3.2 liters

for the turbocharging, prefer the 3B motor,TURBO max pressure in bar 0.6 to 0.7 bars..don't go over..or go at your own risk...
An oil cooler could be a good thing...the 2H and B motor are not reliable with a turbo, lot of us here in europe tried...most of the time, you can change of motor head no long time after...because no piston skirt oilers under the head..

13 Bt motor is the better, 12-13 liters of gasoil on 60 miles, but 3B motor with turbo KKK K14, suck a good 15-18 liters on 60 miles...

have a nice day, Gasoil engines are the best ! ;) i can run with Macdo frites oil in it ;)

My mistake guys .. I try to say the 2B and 2H have the same configuration .. as no piston squirt cooling ..

Sorry again my bad .. ( my english ! :frown: )

No problem thanks for the information!

One thing I have a question about is that since the B and the 2B have the same compression, will turboing be harder on the engine than with a 3B? would it be better to try and find a 3Bor could I just install a big ass oil cooler to help offset the lack of the piston skirt nozzles.

Thanks!

K

Dunkane said:
for the turbocharging, prefer the 3B motor,TURBO max pressure in bar 0.6 to 0.7 bars..don't go over..or go at your own risk...

Hey Dunkane... tu devrais parler en PSI... ici, il n'y a pas grand monde qui fonctionne avec des bars !

Salut.

PS : à quand ton prochain voyage au Québec ?

the 3B in Canada all have the skirt oiling.

the 2B would benefit from the turbo espec at that elevation. Poor Jeff Zepp had my 1HZ down in Colorado for a few years and being NA it really sucked in Kitteridge...
cheers

BreckenridgeCruiser said:
No problem thanks for the information!

One thing I have a question about is that since the B and the 2B have the same compression, will turboing be harder on the engine than with a 3B? would it be better to try and find a 3Bor could I just install a big ass oil cooler to help offset the lack of the piston skirt nozzles.

Thanks!

K

No its not the oil temp the problem, it is the top of piston and skirts getting too warm. The spraying oil cools the piston better. Otherwise it will heat up too much and cause extra wear on the cylinder walls.

You can still run a turbo with out piston cooling tho, just not as much boost. To control heat. IMOP anyhow....

I think a lot of this is myth.
many 2H engines have been turbo charged in australia for many years and many hundred thousand kilometers in the bush.
anyway, we'll see.
jan

In fact 2B is a perfect choice for Turbo .. why not .. the piston cooling is only a desirable feature, but not a rule that you must need to plan a turbo setup.

okay, i just went out and checked a 1984 JDM BJ70 3B with rotory pump and there are oil nozels in the block side...
according to the EPC for JDM models the oil nozzel for the 3B started in 10/82...
part #15708-58010

I am not trying to really make the 2B a powerhouse, just make up for the altutide would be fine for me. Or even brining it close the torque that a NA 2F (keep in mind my old one had 240K on it) produced would be nice. If I wanted a lot more power, I would try to find a 1HD-FTE and rally the thing ;)

So if it has a part number (thanks crushers!) can it be installed in my 2B or does it have to route through the block? iif not, is there any way to put one in aftermarket?

Thanks again to all for this great info!

BreckenridgeCruiser said:
I am not trying to really make the 2B a powerhouse, just make up for the altutide would be fine for me. Or even brining it close the torque that a NA 2F (keep in mind my old one had 240K on it) produced would be nice. If I wanted a lot more power, I would try to find a 1HD-FTE and rally the thing ;)

So if it has a part number (thanks crushers!) can it be installed in my 2B or does it have to route through the block? iif not, is there any way to put one in aftermarket?

Thanks again to all for this great info!

If the 2B does not have oil cooling you could always put a 3B in.
I have seen many rusted BJ60 with good drivetrains selling cheap latley.
I think that last one on the board I saw was $250!
That was a steal. I would of bought it in about 3 seconds flat.

On average rusted BJ60's sell for $1000-2000 that I have seen.
Then you could turbo the 3B.

I am sure a low KM 2B would be worth a lot.

Cheers,
Nick

Turbo it and be done w/it! Keep the boost levels low, you'll awaken it by quite a bit and you'll be fine. It won't be the first tubo diesel w/o piston skirt oiling...

Peter

David*BJ70 said:
Hey Dunkane... tu devrais parler en PSI... ici, il n'y a pas grand monde qui fonctionne avec des bars !

Salut.

PS : à quand ton prochain voyage au Québec ?

hey David !, tiens ca fait plaisir de lire un peu français ici :)
bah un petit voyage a quebec ne serait pas pour me déplaire, ca c'est certain ! a condition que là bas je fasse un peu de 4x4 ou de mécanique ou de vtt, sinon je vais m'ennuyer :), surtout si j'ai pas mon BJ43 avec moi :)

tiens laisse moi tes coordonnées là bas sur mon mail perso sur www.serie4.fr, ca pourrait un jour être sympa si je passe , de te faire un coucou,en plus j'en profiterais pour aller voir une copine qui habite là bas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom