2B diesel MPG survey! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.cardomain.com
I have a 1981 BJ44V with a 2B diesel engine and was wondering what other 2B owners are gettting for fuel economy. I am running 31x10.5x15's and a slightly extended shackle. I currently average 19.4MPG. I have read that this engine should get around 18 (on another web site) but have also heard a few people saying 25-30! I have had my injectors rebuilt, fuel filter replaced, run diesel clean almost every tank of fuel, changed my glow plugs (not that I thought it would help--I was trying to help out the initial smoking of the engine upon start up here in Idaho during the winter), I run royal purple oil....BUT STILL 19.4! Roughly 450ish KM per tank.

Any other ideas out there as to why I don't get the great gas mileage others have claimed!! I even had my birfield seals taken out and regreased (they were leaking a little).

HELP?!?!

The only place I've seen "30" is from people trying to sell one. 25 seems like a more reasonable estimate, which means that in mixed (city) driving 19.4 sounds about right.

My 3B is on the same size rubber (with H41 and 4.11 gears) and I get 21 around town. Your 44 is a bit heavier than my 42 to boot.

Things to consider...

Maybe your brakes are dragging.

Maybe your Injection pump needs to be timed. I've never timed one. But the description in the FSM shows how. You may also be able to have it timed at an injection shop.

I used to get 10.5 Litres per 100 kms on the highway with my BJ60. When I last drove it.

I have another twist to add to the mpg search.

I run PS and AC, how about the rest of you? Especially the one's that get 21mpg or better. I know from the V8 racing days, there was a trick to more HP...loose the PS or AC. Less srtain on the engine from more pulley's should = better mpg!?

hi BJ44V, I also own a BJ44 but my consumption is about 10-12km/L on city driving and around 15-16km/L on highway driving. I'm from the Philippines by the way. Your consumption at 19.4mpg would roughly be 7-8km/L and its a little bit a guzzler so to say. I had my nozzle tips and injection pump calibrated and this gave me the above results. It also made my rig lose those black smoke and better throttle response. I suggest you bring your rig to a reputable calibration shop (We have DENSO outlets here in the Phil)
good luck and kind regards

FSM

quote=brownbear;3144980]Things to consider...

Maybe your brakes are dragging.

Maybe your Injection pump needs to be timed. I've never timed one. But the description in the FSM shows how. You may also be able to have it timed at an injection shop.

I used to get 10.5 Litres per 100 kms on the highway with my BJ60. When I last drove it.[/quote]

Brownbear, where do you find the FSM?

hi BJ44V, I also own a BJ44 but my consumption is about 10-12km/L on city driving and around 15-16km/L on highway driving. I'm from the Philippines by the way. Your consumption at 19.4mpg would roughly be 7-8km/L and its a little bit a guzzler so to say. I had my nozzle tips and injection pump calibrated and this gave me the above results. It also made my rig lose those black smoke and better throttle response. I suggest you bring your rig to a reputable calibration shop (We have DENSO outlets here in the Phil)
good luck and kind regards

Thanks for the tip. I felt my truck wasn't getting the correct mileage but had to find someone else with the same set up to compare. Do you run AC and power Steering?

I have an 81 BJ42 with a fresh rebuild that averages 23-25 miles/gallon (9.8-10.6 km/l). (3" lift, 31" rubber). No AC or PS at the moment but one thought related to your fuel economy is I leaned out the injection pump shortly after the rebuild and my fuel economy improved significantly. I went from a fuel rich exhaust at 14 mpg (6 km/l) to my current economy with only 2/3 of a turn on the injection pump adjustment. The field service manual explains the process adequately and there are some good threads here also. I'm holding off messing with it more until I get a pyro installed.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Jeff

Thanks for the tip. I felt my truck wasn't getting the correct mileage but had to find someone else with the same set up to compare. Do you run AC and power Steering?

yes I run PS & AC. IMHO, a simple injection pump calibration nozzle tip cleaning or replacement will solve all your woes.
I also run 31" tires on 15 x 8 american racing rims
good luck ;)

Umm I dont know if was posted in here. Are you going by US gallon or Imperial. if you are getting 19.4 per U.S. gallon then that is about 22-23 per imperial. Not bad at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom