295s vs. 285s …. Would I be happy downsizing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently have 295/75/16s on my 02 LX470 (3” OME Lift) - BFG KO2s. Unfortunately, this tire size is out of stock indefinitely. My options are (1) going with a Toyo open country or similar tire or (2) a 285/75/16 BFG KO2. Any issues with the slight downsizing? I think that difference is about 0.6 inches.

Thoughts?

The 295/75R16 tire has a tread width that is .6" wider than the 285/75R16. The tire is more "squared-off"

Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 9.55.01 AM.png

And the speedometer will be slightly closer to being correct.

It’s just hard for me to visualize the .5” difference and whether or not I would notice or it would bother me. It certainly would not change the functionality.

And the speedometer will be slightly closer to being correct.

It’s just hard for me to visualize the .5” difference and whether or not I would notice or it would bother me. It certainly would not change the functionality.

It's hard to go backwards but 285's would be the easy solution.

16" tires options aren't getting any better. Maybe it's time to consider going to a 17" or 18" wheel.

It's hard to go backwards but 285's would be the easy solution.

16" tires options aren't getting any better. Maybe it's time to consider going to a 17" or 18" wheel.
Doing the brakes, bearings, and the tires … not sure I have the stomach for new wheels too!

My guess is the difference will be negligible. One of advantage of the 285 is that it is a much more common size should you need to replace a tire.
One of the reasons that I’ve stuck to mainstream brands, in 285/75R16, 285/70R17, or 275/70R18, on my three, is a concern about being able to find a replacement in the middle of nowhere. At home, in a big city, I can get a replacement for darned near anything in a reasonable amount of time. In a little wide spot in the road small town, that hasn’t been my experience.

One of the reasons that I’ve stuck to mainstream brands, in 285/75R16, 285/70R17, or 275/70R18, on my three, is a concern about being able to find a replacement in the middle of nowhere. At home, in a big city, I can get a replacement for darned near anything in a reasonable amount of time. In a little wide spot in the road small town, that hasn’t been my experience.

I think that depends on your use case. I use "lightweight" C load tires and even with some moderate off roading I haven't had a puncture. Heavy off roading, I'd for sure consider mainstream brands/sizes. I also have a full size spare and a tire plug kit, if I manage to get stranded it really just wasn't my day.

I think that depends on your use case. I use "lightweight" C load tires and even with some moderate off roading I haven't had a puncture. Heavy off roading, I'd for sure consider mainstream brands/sizes. I also have a full size spare and a tire plug kit, if I manage to get stranded it really just wasn't my day.

Agreed that use case comes into play. My vehicles are just as likely to travel 1200mi (each way) to play for a week off-road, as a weekend hunting trip (60-180mi). On a hunting trip, a spare and a plug kit is usually just fine, on the longer trips, I’d like to keep my options open. The appeal of the 285/70R17 to me, is the OE Jeep “C load” tires.

It can be argued, after 15k miles, a new 285/75R16 is better matched to the three other used 295/75R16 tires! haha. The composition/characteristics between a new tire and one that is 50% worn is quite different too.

It can be argued, after 15k miles, a new 285/75R16 is better matched to the three other used 295/75R16 tires! haha. The composition/characteristics between a new tire and one that is 50% worn is quite different too.
Yes, I guess it could be argued, but if you want to go that route, I assume that you’re an advocate for “if you damage a single tire beyond repair, just go ahead and replace all 5, costs be damned”, because that extra 10mm in width would cause handling differences, due to surface grip & aerodynamics?

If you’re wearing out tires in 15-30k miles, you’re seeing a whole lot more tread wear than I am. I’m usually tossing them for age, with <50% wear.

Well, I didn't say I would do that myself. :) Just playing devils advocate.

Side note: I do have a few vehicles with staggered tire sizes. Once, had sidewall damage to a front tire. Purchased a new tire and had the local race shop shave it down to match diameter. Unshaven, it would veer to one side, like a donut spare. Not sure they would shave down an MT tire though.

I didn’t know that tire exists. Seems like the dream for us on 16’s. Narrower = easier clearance compared to 315’s. D range = softer ride.
Agree... I’ve searched but can’t find any images.

I’m not on social media so if you come across a pic post it up!

Know anyone that has tried the 35x11.5r16 recon grappler? That sounds super interesting
No but I want’em!! ... This week haha
Honestly I change my mind daily.

I’ve ran SCS F5 with 295/75r16 (33x12)

18” steelies with 35 x11.50

CurrentIy run 17s with 35x 12.50

I think cruisers prefer the 11.50 width - this really does seem like an ideal size minus the need / want to run wheel spacers again (although I have no worries - It’s ideal to have 1 less thing to worry about)

@GTV runs a 35x11.50 r 17 that has me leaning that direction (See I’m all over the place 🤪)

Agreed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom