295/75R16 on the LX? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve discovered that working on LX becomes a slippery slope and that working on one thing usually means you end up spending money on something else. I’ve come to a place where I have to buy tires. I always I thought I would do tires and suspension at the same time but I am in the middle of some other things and can’t do it all.

I have done some searching on the forum and I’m leaning towards the BF Goodrich KO2 for a good balance between Highway and trail. 315s are out as I don’t want to regear and it really is overkill for me as far as camping and trails. That leaves me with the LT285/75R16 or the LT295/75R16. Plenty on here about 285s but my search results left me empty as far as many pics of 80s with 295s on stock suspension. Are 295s not a good choice for the 80? Shifting issues? Still need to regear? Rubbing? I really would like some opinions and pics of 295s if anyone is running them.

Last edited:
I’ve discovered that working on LX becomes a slippery slope and that working on one thing usually means you end up spending money on something else. I’ve come to a place where I have to buy tires. I always I thought I would do tires and suspension at the same time but I am in the middle of some other things and can’t do it all.

I have done some searching on the forum and I’m leaning towards the BF Goodrich KO2 for a good balance between Highway and trail. 315s are out as I don’t want to regear and it really is overkill for me as far as camping and trails. That leaves me with the LT285/75R16 or the LT295/75R16. Plenty on here about 285s but my search results left me empty as far as many pics of 80s with 295s on stock suspension. Are 295s not a good choice for the 80? Shifting issues? Still need to regear? Rubbing? I really would like some opinions and pics of 295s if anyone is running them.
I had 285s and went up to 295 Bf Goodrich KO2 and I LOVE them. The ride is a little smoother and freeway driving is very nice. I have a 97. I leave the power button left on and it shifts better then with 285s and no power button turned on. I had zero power loss with stock gears. Get the wits end spare tire kit that puts it up higher and do a 5 tire rotation so you can use your spare. I'd never go back to 285s. I have stock suspension with 245k miles. 🤙

20200103_111339.jpg

Resized_20200331_164930.jpeg

20200102_165301.jpg

20200102_165248.jpg

Gearing and shifting won’t be an issue with 295’s. Availability might be. Rubbing shouldn’t be an issue either. I’m installing slinky suspension, so I’ll be selling my 2” OME shocks and springs if you’re looking for some lift on a budget.

Gearing and shifting won’t be an issue with 295’s. Availability might be. Rubbing shouldn’t be an issue either. I’m installing slinky suspension, so I’ll be selling my 2” OME shocks and springs if you’re looking for some lift on a budget.

KingsMtn thanks for the offer. I’ve been leaning towards the Dobinson 2” variable and saving money towards that. I’ll PM you if I decide to go a different way.

I would consider doing the 285 as they will be more readily available in the event of needing one on the road as well as way more options to choose from and its pretty much the same size tire diameter as the 295. 285 will fit without a lift and I would expect the 295 to as well if you were looking to spread out some of the cost of buying tires as well as the lift

Im running the Cooper AT3 XLT in the 295 75 16 size with an Iron Man 2" lift.
IMG_5066.JPG
. Prior to these, i was using the 255/85/16 ST Maxx. I have not noticed any difference in driving performance and actually prefer the 295's and plan to stick with this size from now on. The tires did take Discount Tire two days to get, but coming from 255's I guess I'm attracted to the less available tires, lololol. I tow a pop up camper often and have not noticed any difference between the 255's and the 295's as far as power is concerned.

Last edited:
Sitting on 2" TJM progressive springs and supercharged so I can't really give advice on rubbing or regearing, but here's a pic. These are 295/75 KO2's, I like them.
295s.jpg

Please tell me more about the springs/shocks you are selling :bounce:

Last edited:
Love my Cooper AT3's! I installed them myself, haven't been balanced and they are smooth at 85. No rubbing from daily driving when the suspension was stock

295s on stock suspension

InkedIMG_20200412_154105516_LI.jpg

295s on 2" OME

IMG_20200509_152427224_HDR.jpg

305/70r16 and 285/75r16 are the exact same height, the 305 is just .8" wider and is also .4" wider than the 295s. The 295/75r16 is taller and a better profile to me while not being too big to really feel it with stock gears.

96LX and vfrer both of your rigs look great with 295s with 2” lift. Really good looking stance and both look like very capable rigs.

Supercharged :cool: that would be cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom