291k mile, 10 yr parked, FJ62 rescue! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last night after posting the above I salvaged the orig rocker screws, put em back on and adjusted. Quieted it down! Need to adjust the valves again, but that’ll be when the rad is out and getting repaired. Or will it? Might just JB weld the rad for now. Not much else to do on it until my delayed fuel tank sealer and the rockauto order I haven’t made yet gets here. I just want to bandaid the radiator so I can get it up to temp to do an oil change and proper valve adjustment.

View attachment 2291496

If you want some that aren't mangled let me know. I have a few extra lying around.

The reason I like your story so much is that my FJ62 was parked for many years at a neighbor's house and they started it 2x/year and drove it, and it was pretty hammered - windows left down in the winter, etc.

A few pictures here: New '62 (new for me, anyway)

I really enjoy mine now and have it all spruced up and it's ultra reliable and fun to drive. I filled it up at Sam's Club the other day with $1.29 gas and got my usual 11.97 MPG city gas mileage. At least I can run the A/C without any guilt - it's not like it will 'hurt the gas mileage'. Keep charging away at yours and you'll have a fine rig.

Steve

The reason I like your story so much is that my FJ62 was parked for many years at a neighbor's house and they started it 2x/year and drove it, and it was pretty hammered - windows left down in the winter, etc.

A few pictures here: New '62 (new for me, anyway)

I really enjoy mine now and have it all spruced up and it's ultra reliable and fun to drive. I filled it up at Sam's Club the other day with $1.29 gas and got my usual 11.97 MPG city gas mileage. At least I can run the A/C without any guilt - it's not like it will 'hurt the gas mileage'. Keep charging away at yours and you'll have a fine rig.

Steve

Thanks Steve, that’s awesome! I wish I knew the circumstances for which this one was parked, but it has been through a couple hands since and the guy I got it from didn’t know. I assumed it was the roof rust and bad fuel/pump, seems like the lack of compression happened from sitting. Extremely happy with how it is coming along and I’m excited to try out the 62. I was turned off by the auto trans but people say it’ll be like a new car compared to my 60.

This is a great project. No machine deserves to die from owner neglect. Good on ya for bringing the old girl back. I'll be keeping up to see where this one goes!

That nice deep overdrive on the FJ62 automatic means that I was zipping along I-25 to work today at 75 mph, turning 2500 rpm. The FJ62s gearing is much more highway friendly than that of the '60.

Did some chemistry in the driveway after work today. Tank is looking a lot better! Almost ready for a coat of sealant.

3B6E60B0-D1F0-40A8-A26D-E23EB7FDD791.jpeg
A67DDD07-D071-4C0F-BD2A-73EA5081BBCF.jpeg
9FE29846-BF98-4937-8512-E9A712D06728.jpeg

Hi, Looking better. Seal inside of tank and run non ethanol from Buckies. Mike

Hi, Looking better. Seal inside of tank and run non ethanol from Buckies. Mike

I think I’ll run another round of acid through it this weekend and then use the sealer.

Gotta be insane to run $2.50 gas in a 10mpg vehicle! When dailying it that is. Completely necessary if it’s gonna sit, though.

Trying to get the interior back together, and a new lock cylinder will get this process started. The old one was trashed. The problem is- I can’t seem to get it in?
383F49B5-196F-4AFE-BC96-917887FB9F34.jpeg
9E956EDC-D910-45E7-9416-312EF7B43CAD.jpeg

That second pic is as far as it’ll go. Searching only led me to dead ends, doesn’t just pop in like my FJ60’s did. Any ideas?

Gas tank shops can boil the tank in lye - I just had this done on a minitruck parked 10 years. He said it was among the worst he had seen. $110. Took several days and soakings.

Name of the shop?

This is what the inside of a 60 series fuel tank looks like.

If I remember correctly, there should be a little hole in the Cylinder housing ,right behind the wiper stalk, that you will need to insert something to depress the latch.

If I remember correctly, there should be a little hole in the Cylinder housing ,right behind the wiper stalk, that you will need to insert something to depress the latch.

I think that’s how you get it out, not going far enough in to press anything, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom