285/75/16 vs 305/70/16 for 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lhl

Threads
I have read all of the threads regarding tire size for 100 series Cruisers. I wasn't able to definatively make a decision on what size to go with. Currently I do not have any suspension upgrades, but I do plan to put OME suspension on at a later time. What size would fit best. I do a lot of offroading for both business as well as hunting.

This has been bantered about several times. Since the search is not too friendly on this one I will re-cap some of the bits.

The 305/70/16 is a teensy bit shorter (.5mm) and 20 mm wider than a 285/75/16

On an 80 you can run either one at stock height with minimal or no rub. I do not have experience on fitment of these sizes on a 100.

These sizes are about 42 mm taller than a 275/70/16

I put the 285/75/16 on my 1999 100 Series on 2/6/2004 so far no problems at all. I went with the bf goodrich a/t's. They ride nice with very minimal noise. No real noticeable power loss. Did make the odometer off about 1/10th of a mile no biggie though. I definately like them better than the michelins.

Gary

lhl, show some initiative :flipoff2:. Back when I put on my 315's everyone said they weren't going to work and said 285's where IT!. That was almost 4 years ago. Well I went out there and made some measurements and bought them anyway. Look around now and quite a few of us 80s now sport the 315s :D.

I think it's time for one of you 100 guys to step up and take the lead in some of these 100 areas. Someone has to be the guinea pig ;)

pic of the BFG 285/75/16 with stock suspension
45647844.jpg

well this sure gave me something to think about.......
45651866.jpg

that I need to lift the 100! it looks SO good and sitting up a few inch's :)
damn it! I wanted to keep it stock ::)

I have a 1999 100 series with 35x10.5x16 it oly rubbed when I was at Pismo for Surf & Turf going fast on the dunes. Other than that I have had no problems with them.

I like the way it looks and I figured by the time I air down its only a 33 inch tire anyway. :flipoff2:

Amando

[quote author=i4c4lo link=board=2;threadid=11412;start=msg104213#msg104213 date=1076646094]
it oly rubbed when I was at Pismo for Surf & Turf going fast on the dunes. Other than that I have had no problems with them.
[/quote]

I had rubbing with my 80 under similar driving when I first put on my 315s. It was cured by respringing the front from the soft springs to the heavy ones. Have you replaced the torsion bars, or just cranked them up?

I just cranked up the (stock) torsion bars. They are pretty soft to begin with also with all that unsprung weight from the tires I like the way it rides.

http://www.yourphoto.com/OLD_yourphoto/100_series.htm

The above link has photos of three 100 series, the black on (Drexx) has 285's, one of the silver one is stock (Drexx's mechanic at Fremont Toyota) and the tall one is mine. ::) with the 35's. I compared the SSR tires to a 315 MTR and the SSR are almost 2 inches taller (unmounted). I still like the MTR's better especially in the wet and snow.

Amando

Amando. What is your and Drexx's running for suspension? OME rear coils? stock torision bars or ?

I'm liking the lifted 100's ;)

[quote author=i4c4lo link=board=2;threadid=11412;start=msg104565#msg104565 date=1076716633]
I just cranked up the (stock) torsion bars. They are pretty soft to begin with also with all that unsprung weight from the tires I like the way it rides.

http://www.yourphoto.com/OLD_yourphoto/100_series.htm

The above link has photos of three 100 series, the black on (Drexx) has 285's, one of the silver one is stock (Drexx's mechanic at Fremont Toyota) and the tall one is mine. ::) with the 35's. I compared the SSR tires to a 315 MTR and the SSR are almost 2 inches taller (unmounted). I still like the MTR's better especially in the wet and snow.

Amando

[/quote]

For Drexx, he has OME LTR F&R for shocks, torsion bars are Sway-A-Way. for the rear he has OME 864 heavy duty springs (these are 880 pounds per inch springs) we both have auxilary tanks (that uses a simple fuel pump to the main/stock tank) this is 160 liters, I have a stock rear bumper and Drexx has a dual pivot kaymar. I have the stock torsion bars with OME shocks F&R.

I mentioning the parts installed because it makes a huge difference with the springs. Oh, I have 863 OME rear springs (yes you are right, 863 and 864 are for 80 series). I had OME 865 (specific for the 100 series lost about 3 inches height) before I installed the gas tank, then I switched to OME 864 and with a full tank of gas (both tanks approximately 70 gallons) 5 people in the truck and that sucker went down less than an inch! So those springs came off and OME 863 came on and it looks and rides much better. :D

Anyway, I do like the setup, and with TRD s/c the truck is pretty fast.

Amando

My local ARB distributor mentioned a few months ago that OME was offering a 100 kit which included torsion bars. I checked Slee and they only showed their bars. However the ARB site in Australia has them listed. You might call Slee as maybe their site isn't up to date yet.

I think the Sway-A-way (torsion bars) is 15% stiffer than stock and Christo's are I think 30% stiffer than stock. I am not sure what the OME torsion bars will be but right now Christo's I think are better than Sway-A-Way for sure. It also depends if you have a bullbar up front and a winch up front.

I am thinking of getting a Warn M8000 winch from 4wheelparts (www.4wheelparts.com) this weekend for $449.00 (sale) and install it in the back instead of the front. Use a synthetic rope and a hawse fairlead. I figure when I had a winch on my 80, the only time I used is was to pull my neighbor out (he hated that part) and if I have it installed in the rear, I can face away from the stuck vehicle and the front pinion won't be an issue if I had to drive backwards while pulling. Or parts will hit the back window intstead of the front window. :whoops:

Of course now that I said those things I will need the winch in the
front :flipoff2: hehehe.

Amando

Excelent info! I just happen to have a spare set of OME 863's ;) I thought I remembered 80 springs working in the rear.

So your torsion bars are stock. how much to you think you cranked them up? (heck I don't even know how to crank torsion bars)

I'll have to check on the OME torsion bars.

Any CV boot/joint issues or caster issues like on an 80? other things to think about?

thanks
John

[quote author=i4c4lo link=board=2;threadid=11412;start=msg104636#msg104636 date=1076725895]
For Drexx, he has OME LTR F&R for shocks, torsion bars are Sway-A-Way. for the rear he has OME 864 heavy duty springs (these are 880 pounds per inch springs) we both have auxilary tanks (that uses a simple fuel pump to the main/stock tank) this is 160 liters, I have a stock rear bumper and Drexx has a dual pivot kaymar. I have the stock torsion bars with OME shocks F&R.

I mentioning the parts installed because it makes a huge difference with the springs. Oh, I have 863 OME rear springs (yes you are right, 863 and 864 are for 80 series). I had OME 865 (specific for the 100 series lost about 3 inches height) before I installed the gas tank, then I switched to OME 864 and with a full tank of gas (both tanks approximately 70 gallons) 5 people in the truck and that sucker went down less than an inch! So those springs came off and OME 863 came on and it looks and rides much better. :D

Anyway, I do like the setup, and with TRD s/c the truck is pretty fast.

Amando
[/quote]

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=11412;start=msg104660#msg104660 date=1076728972]
Excelent info! I just happen to have a spare set of OME 863's ;) I thought I remembered 80 springs working in the rear.

So your torsion bars are stock. how much to you think you cranked them up? (heck I don't even know how to crank torsion bars)

thanks
John
[/quote]

The 100 will no longer be stock height after the three day weekend... ::)

To crank the torsion just jack up the front (to take the load off) then turn the bolt (need like a 30mm or something bigger socket) I don't recommend going over 2.5" from the starting height. Measure the fender before jacking it up then after turning the torsion bars lower it and re-measure. It will settle some so you might have to do it a couple of time. Also, make a mark (use a sharpie or something) on the socket and count many time the socket turns and apply the same amount of turns on the other side. Also you will need an alignment after you crank the torsion bars. You might need some a serious breaker bar or something, I used the handle of a floor jack to get leverage.

Good luck and may the force be with you. :eek: Its a piece fof cake. Now you gotta put lockers and a TRD supercharger and you can go anywhere you want. hehehe.

Amando

Back in the day of front end alignments, we would just hit the adjusting bolt with a 1/2" air gun. To be sure that things were adjusted evenly we would measure from the lower ball joint to the ground and then measure at the pivot point of the a-arm to ground and compare the difference keeping the difference equal on both sides. This way tire pressure and such doesn't come into play. Besure to bounce the front end and re-check both sides as one will influence the other.

Landpimp -
Your "simulated lift" picture looks awesome. That's the first time a 100 looked that appealing to me. What size lift do you think it represents?

Jason

Thanks guys :)

what are the downside to cranking up the stock bars? limited travel maybe?

The 100 is safe for the weekend, I don't happen to have a set of 100 series shocks laying around ;) To be honest I REALLY need to keep this Cruiser pretty much stock height(or close)......I bought it to stuff clients in......if I can't get em in.......I can't pay for the 100 ;)

the "simulated lift" must be 4"+ as it looks higher than the black or silver ones. But I agree when I saw that I have very plesently suprised at how much "better" it looked lifted.........looks like it should look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom