285/75/16 on 16x7 rims (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just ordered some Firestone Destination A/T 285/75/16's through my shop and was waiting to get them on in a few days.

I just realized I have 16x7 4runner rims on my 94 LC. I knew they weren't the stock LC rims when I got it but assumed they were the same width though I currently have 265/70/16' on them now.

Can I run the 285's with 16x7's on a LC? I found various things on a 4runner forum saying they do but its supposedly unsafe maybe?

Anyone clear this up otherwise I'll have to change out sizes.

Thanks

haha I'll check with my shop on the way home otherwise they'll call me midday and say oops we can't do it and wait another whole day

Thanks

Seems like it would allow for lots of wallowing on the road as there would theoretically be a lot of play between the contact area of the tire and the rim when you change direction.

I have no actual experience regarding this though...

We aren't talking about a E39 Sport... :flipoff2:

Yes, it will have more sidewall roll. No, you aren't going to notice it. Drive it like a lifted, heavy SUV and you will be just fine.

I'm still getting used to the whole suv thing... :flipoff2:

There are occasions however when you do need your truck to respond well on the road, i.e. emergency highway maneuvers.

not a problem with mine

I'm still getting used to the whole suv thing... :flipoff2:

There are occasions however when you do need your truck to respond well on the road, i.e. emergency highway maneuvers.

I agree but it's not going to offset handling enough to cause a problem in emergency situations. Heck, I was 315's on a 6" wide wheel and no swaybars the last emergency highway maneuver I did in the 80. Scary, hell yeah! (But it would have been anyway...)

Thanks for the opinions all, talked to my guy at the shop and he agrees that its not really that big of a deal and says they'll put them on no problem.

Check the tire manufacturers website. All tires have an aproved width range. Most manufacturees will list 7-9 inch width approved for the 285-75r16 size, with being 8 inch as the size recommended and also tested with. Changing the rim width will slightly alter the measured overall height of the tire and road contact area patch. It is all safe ( DOT approval ) as long as your in the specified width range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom