285/75/16 matches what Pizza Cutter size? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to figure out a way to match a 285/75/16 height with a skinny tire. (pizza cutter) as a spare.

This will help with ground clearance of spare for under the vehicle and for overall length if I put it on a rear tire carrier(when I can afford one). (I have a short garage)

I currently have Duratracs 285/75/16.

I searched around a bit but couldnt figure it out, my google-fu must have much suck.

Anyone know of a solution? Seems like 33x10.50 or even 33x8.5? might be good but the height is 1/2 inch off

Also, i assume that there is no issue running a skinnier tire (temporarily) as long as the height is the same as the other tires.

Thanks for your help !

Like this?

Tire Size Comparison

OA8NscE.png

lr6utU7.png

Put a correct size in the back, or on the roof

Thanks MCT75 and shocktower

Seems like the comparison site I used gave different values. Am I to assume it will depend on the brand tire? The chart I initially used showed 33x10.5 as .5 inch difference in height and less than an inch in width, this one shows only .2 height and 1.2 ": width. I cant imagine .2 making a difference between the 33"s and 285/75.

I am assuming 33 x 9.5 would be the skinniest you can run on stock rims.

As for putting it on the roof or inside, that is certainly an option but, my day to day is mostly on road with the kids, but when I do get a chance to take a detour on a road trip, it would be nice to worry less about scraping the spare on the rocks etc.

I know its not a perfect solution but if I can spend $100 on a tire that is skinny and gain clearance, I beleive its worth it. Also, I will be putitng an OEM subtank in when I figure out the plumbing, so I cant move the bracket up...

What about a bolt-on rear-mount tire carrier for the trips off-road? Bolt it to the (4) holes in the rear crossmember. There's a couple threads about "bolt-on rear tire carrier".......

All great suggestions so many options. I've had a very difficult time finding a 33 by 9:50 16 inch rim tire. So maybe the 255 85 16 would be the way to go. Should save about 1.2 inches, which hardly seems worth it.
@landcruiserphi
What is a 7 by 16 split rim? Probably a dumb question but I am assuming it is 7 inches wide and will clear our brakes front and rear. Any source you recommend for them? Found tires that seem good but not sure on rims.

I think this might be the hidden solution I was looking for. 4 inches narrower is a decent difference

All great suggestions so many options. I've had a very difficult time finding a 33 by 9:50 16 inch rim tire. So maybe the 255 85 16 would be the way to go. Should save about 1.2 inches, which hardly seems worth it.
@landcruiserphi
What is a 7 by 16 split rim? Probably a dumb question but I am assuming it is 7 inches wide and will clear our brakes front and rear. Any source you recommend for them? Found tires that seem good but not sure on rims.

I think this might be the hidden solution I was looking for. 4 inches narrower is a decent difference

My set up in acually on our LX470 but the same info will apply.
My rim is a 5" split rim from Australia Toyota

img_5606-jpg.1295494

No mods done. Its up there.

img_5698-jpg.1302444

Wow that looks seriously skinny. But is exactly what I am after. But are you saying I need to find a toy split rim from Australia? I wouldn't know where to start...

But I did find this you tube gem about split rims. Cue the Benny hill music at 4:50.

So why a split rim vs a normal rim in this application?

Wow that looks seriously skinny. But is exactly what I am after. But are you saying I need to find a toy split rim from Australia? I wouldn't know where to start...

But I did find this you tube gem about split rims. Cue the Benny hill music at 4:50.

So why a split rim vs a normal rim in this application?

For me it was availability

Try summit racing. I purchased a 16 x 6 steel wheel with proper back space and offset from them several years ago. It did require acorn style lug nuts. A 255/85/16 and spare tire mod raised spare nicely.

My set up in acually on our LX470 but the same info will apply.
My rim is a 5" split rim from Australia Toyota

img_5606-jpg.1295494

No mods done. Its up there.

img_5698-jpg.1302444

Wow! Considering:
  • I use a spare tire about once every 5 years
  • I don't like how low the under-slung spare sits
  • A rear swing-out tire carrier is in the way both visually and physically, and prevents me from fitting in the garage
  • A roof rack spare prevents me from fitting into the garage
This is an awfully good idea.

@LandCruiserPhil Thanks! I think you have given me a good direction to pursue. Clearly We were thinking the same thing.

Even though it is skinny, it is still tough enough to get you off the trail if you are not on a major expedition.

I forgot to add the link to the Youtube video that had me ROTFLMAO. Lets just say, I hope you dont ever have to break the bead on your split rim. Benny hill music at 4:50
Also learned that there really is no reason for split rim anymore, if standard rims exist in the size you need.

Last edited:
Even though it is skinny, it is still tough enough to get you off the trail if you are not on a major expedition.
99% of my driving is on paved roads within 50 miles of my house, so I would even be fine with a skinny spare that's an inch or so smaller if it came down to that. For out of town or trail use I'd like to have a full size spare tossed in the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom