285/75/16 AT in a P rating? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
These 33" BFG AT's are killing me! I might as well be on the Oregon Trail in a covered wagon...

My tires are E rated which I know is the biggest contributor to the ride. I have OME 865 springs, but otherwise stock suspension. I have aluminum bumpers which don't add much weight over factory.

Anyone know of any P-rated 33" (or even 32") tires for a 16" wheel? A lot of the ones I see are only for 17" or 18" wheels. I might consider C-rated, but have a feeling they won't be significantly different from the E-rated. I don't really want to go back to stock size. The Cruiser used to be one of the most comfortable rides. But now it's worse than my wife's IS250. Surprised I still have teeth.

Are you running stock torsion bars? What tire pressure in your BFG's?

Maybe these....
285/75R16 C-Load
I have no experience with these.

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 11.36.56 AM.png

What tire pressures you running?

I think you're going to have difficulty finding a 285/85r16 in P rating. If you go down to 265/75r16 (32") I think you'll have some success.

Curious what your tire pressure is as well. I'm running 285/75r16 KO2 and think my LC rides great for what it is and isn't uncomfortable at all. We must remember that these are body on frame 4x4's not luxury sedans.

Are you running stock torsion bars? What tire pressure in your BFG's?

Yes, stock torsion bars.
Currently at 30, which is too low for even tread wear, but bearable. At 34 I might as well be running on the rims, it just rattles the truck. I figure I'd rather get my money out of them and wear unevenly than ditch them. I probably have 20-30k on them, so they aren't new by any means.

Load C-rated tires might be an option, just have a feeling they're in the same league as the E-rated, so, hesitant if there is a P-rated option out there.

I think you're going to have difficulty finding a 285/85r16 in P rating. If you go down to 265/75r16 (32") I think you'll have some success.
Thanks, I'll have to look into that size.

We must remember that these are body on frame 4x4's not luxury sedans.
Agreed, for sure. But before replacing shocks with another set of OEM and putting on these tires, (I had factory original Michelin LTX), it was a very comfortable ride. Not expecting the same comfort with AT Tires, but E-rated is just too much.

Do you have OME shocks?
No, I replaced the originals with another set of factory OEM. That did stiffen up the ride a bit, the ones I took off had close to 100k on them, so they were a bit squishy.

Did you lift the vehicle with the torsion bars? Asking because not enough droop after reindexing can cause rough ride.

Here is a healthy discussion on the 4runner forum about c vs e rated tires.

Did you lift the vehicle with the torsion bars? Asking because not enough droop after reindexing can cause rough ride.

Here is a healthy discussion on the 4runner forum about c vs e rated tires.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out. I did give a few turn on the torsion bars, did not re-index, but I have measured droop and still have plenty, more than what people on the thread say we need on the 100. So I *think* I am good there, don't recall the numbers off hand though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom