285/70/17 with no lift... WARNING --- LOTS of Pics!! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's the latest on my FJC with the 33" Goodyear Wrangler MTRs and no lift kit...

So far, no rubbing even at full lock going up and down a curb.

For those interested, here are a few pics that may help if you are thinking of similar tires...

fjc2020.jpg

fjc2019.jpg

fjc2018.jpg

fjc2017.jpg

fjc2013.jpg

fjc2012.jpg

fjc2014.jpg

fjc2039.jpg

fjc2038.jpg

fjc2037.jpg

fjc2036.jpg

fjc2035.jpg

fjc2040.jpg

fjc2034.jpg

fjc2032.jpg

fjc2033.jpg

fjc2021.jpg

fjc2026.jpg

fjc2028.jpg

fjc2029.jpg

I know it's a lot of pics but I wanted hundreds before I got my FJ so I thought some others might be intested in the oversized tires / no lift combo.

Thanks,
Shawn

Looks awesome.

uzj100

still no rubbing? im so glad to know this. i was goin to buy the lift first and then get tires but now ill get tires first and maybe not even get a lift!:cheers:

oh and how are those tires for noise at hiway speed?

EAST TX FJ said:
oh and how are those tires for noise at hiway speed?

My opinion: Quiet.

I am comparing them to the tires I had on my Land Rover and these are definately quieter. To tell you the truth I haven't noticed them at all. The wonderful note from the exhaust is enough to drown out anything that might be coming from the tires.

Would I do it again? 100% Yes!!

Any negatives so far? None.

trd catback?

How much will 1" throw off the speedo?

I was going to go with Wild Country TXRs from Les Schwab in the stock size when my FJ gets here in June, but may go for the 285s now.

Been running TXRs now since '98, and only on my 2nd set.
This set I bought around 2000 or 2001, and they still look new tread wise.
They wear forever.

The tires look great on your rig!

Corey said:
How much will 1" throw off the speedo?

I was going to go with Wild Country TXRs from Les Schwab in the stock size when my FJ gets here in June, but may go for the 285s now.

Been running TXRs now since '98, and only on my 2nd set.
This set I bought around 2000 or 2001, and they still look new tread wise.
They wear forever.

The tires look great on your rig!

I have 285x70x17's on my FJC (3" OME lift) and my Garmin GPS shows the speedo to be off by about 1.5 to 2 MPH at 80.
Acceptable to me...:grinpimp:

Very nice! I like the BFG's myself. I've had to may problems with Goodyear but they look great (better that the BFG's)! My problems were with trailer tires (another story).

Good to know the 33s fit without rubbing. I have had several people ask me how big you could go. Have you maxed it out on the trail to see if it rubbed offroad. I know you had some muddy undercarriage but didn't know if you were flexing alot where you were???

Tim Scully said:
Good to know the 33s fit without rubbing. I have had several people ask me how big you could go. Have you maxed it out on the trail to see if it rubbed offroad. I know you had some muddy undercarriage but didn't know if you were flexing alot where you were???
I definately have more flexing to test but I was originally told that they would rub just by turning the wheels. Then they said it was turning the wheels [to lock] and going up a curb that would make them rub horribly. I have tested both of those so far and no problem. I am actively searching for a part of the trails that I can show / test some flex better but so far nothing great to show you.

I'll update with more compression when I get some shots.

Thanks,
Shawn

Is that The Red River in the background?

Cool Pics. Thanks for the input on the tires. :cheers: I won't be afraid to get the tires before the lift now.

I too added these tires over the weekend and have experienced no rubbing at full lock. Haven't had the chance to test off-road for rubbing under compression. And man do they make it look good. I had it at a Cal 4 Wheel meeting this weekend and it was a definite attention getter amongst the off-roading crowd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom