285/65/18 versus 285/65/17 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally picked up my new to me 2018 LC yesterday and beyond to exited to get it in the garage here at the house!

I made an earlier post (very general asking) which folks then pointed to some great resources here on the site regarding tires and wheel, thanks again for all the help. Considering what I’ve read here and elsewhere and knowing my LC will be a daily driver, I’ve narrowed my tire of choice down to the Toyo ATIII. I fully expect to also use the vehicle on the weekends for backcountry travels for hunting and fishing, as well as some trail action in the Southeast (no rock crawling at this point).

With that said, anyone have any recommendations or thoughts on going with a 17inch wheel versus an 18? Ideally I would like to do a 285/70 size tire but realize this isn’t feasible without a lift and that’s unfortunately not in the budget right now. There seems to be mixed reviews on 285/65 fitting on a stock LC but no real consensus (some say remove mud flaps, trimming and heat gun work).

So, would anyone recommend a 17” wheel over an 18” wheel, with the ultimate goal being greater sidewall cushion with a with a 285/65/17 size tire?

Just for reference, here’s the style wheel I’m looking at: 305 | NV | Bronze - https://www.methodracewheels.com/products/mr305-nv-bronze

Thanks in advance, really enjoying all this forum has to offer so far!

I believe the OEM size for the LC is 285/70-17. That will achieve your goal of sidewall cushion and that Toyo comes in 3 variations in that size. The Tire Rack will put together a Toyo/Method 5 tire package for you and ship it to your front door ready to bolt on. Boom! Done.

My opinion, but 17s vs 18s doesn't make much of a performance difference unless you're a serious rock crawler. It's effectively only .5" more sidewall in radius. It seems more a matter tailoring, available tire sizes, and wheel choice. An expense that's not completely necessary as the stock 18s are very much up to task.

Where the real performance, traction, clearance, and sidewall difference can be had is in increasing overall tire diameter. Most new to the platform go conservatives here which is understandable as they're feeling things out, but the 200-series handles big tires o so well. It is singularly the best mod for so many reasons.

I'd recommend no less than a 285/65R18 @ 32.6" diameter.

If it helps, lift has very little to do with clearance on this IFS platform. The overall suspension stroke is not changed with lift, only the neutral rest point. Tire should always be made to clear throughout the stroke for real usage.

I believe the OEM size for the LC is 285/70-17. That will achieve your goal of sidewall cushion and that Toyo comes in 3 variations in that size. The Tire Rack will put together a Toyo/Method 5 tire package for you and ship it to your front door ready to bolt on. Boom! Done.
Really appreciate it, thanks a lot.

My opinion, but 17s vs 18s doesn't make much of a performance difference unless you're a serious rock crawler. It's effectively only .5" more sidewall in radius. It seems more a matter tailoring, available tire sizes, and wheel choice. An expense that's not completely necessary as the stock 18s are very much up to task.

Where the real performance, traction, clearance, and sidewall difference can be had is in increasing overall tire diameter. Most new to the platform go conservatives here which is understandable as they're feeling things out, but the 200-series handles big tires o so well. It is singularly the best mod for so many reasons.

I'd recommend no less than a 285/65R18 @ 32.6" diameter.

If it helps, lift has very little to do with clearance on this IFS platform. The overall suspension stroke is not changed with lift, only the neutral rest point. Tire should always be made to clear throughout the stroke for real usage.
This is really helpful, thanks a lot for the thoughtful answer on this.

You mentioned the lift not giving any more clearance for potential tire rub. Since that’s not in the cards and from what you say not a real help to begin with, what mods would you recommend to get greater clearance?

thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom