285/55R20 Nitto Ridge Grappler or BFG All Terrain KO2 on stock 20" wheels 08 LX 570? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
BFG doesn't make anything in the stock size (285/50R20), and the Nittos in that size are only XL rated.

That leaves me with looking at upping the size to 285/55R20, where the Nittos come in E load rating and the BFGs come in D load rating.

Price difference is $10 for a set of 5, so price really isn't s deciding factor.

Which would you pick and why? The tire database appears to be unavailable, so I'm not sure if the Nittos will rub. I'm fairly confident I read reports of the BFGs being fine without any modifications.

I can’t comment on the Nittos, but I ran the KO2s in that size on my 08LX with no issues, no rubbing.

I can’t comment on the Nittos, but I ran the KO2s in that size on my 08LX with no issues, no rubbing.
BFG doesn't make anything in the stock size (285/50R20), and the Nittos in that size are only XL rated.

That leaves me with looking at upping the size to 285/55R20, where the Nittos come in E load rating and the BFGs come in D load rating.

Price difference is $10 for a set of 5, so price really isn't s deciding factor.

Which would you pick and why? The tire database appears to be unavailable, so I'm not sure if the Nittos will rub. I'm fairly confident I read reports of the BFGs being fine without any modifications.

I went with Geolanders 285/55/20. Great tires...no rub.

IMG-5060.jpg

I went with the BFG AT/KO’2s 285/55/20 on my stock 2015 LX570. I’ve had them on for about three years and 20,000 miles. There is no noticeable wear great tires look good I’d buy another set. But I doubt I’ll need another set for another 50 to 60,000 miles 😳

55489382-1B46-450D-8C03-F1721EF52A4B.jpeg

275 60 r20 k02’s, while narrower than stock, are also 32.9”, fit fine, and are only around $250 each.

I went back and forth on whether it was a good idea to go narrower than stock, but, upon finding out the above is an oem size for f250’s and f350’s with tow ratings far beyond anything the lx570 would be pulling, decided that they would do the job.

I’ve been satisfied with them and, unless my rims become damaged, will replace them with the same when it’s time.

275 60 r20 k02’s, while narrower than stock, are also 32.9”, fit fine, and are only around $250 each.

I went back and forth on whether it was a good idea to go narrower than stock, but, upon finding out the above is an oem size for f250’s and f350’s with tow ratings far beyond anything the lx570 would be pulling, decided that they would do the job.

I’ve been satisfied with them and, unless my rims become damaged, will replace them with the same when it’s time.
Yeah I think that’s a good point about your tires mine had the 285/55/20 size are a lot more expensive I wanted them wider but at this point I don’t know why I don’t think it made any difference I think it’s hard to see the difference.

Yeah I think that’s a good point about your tires mine had the 285/55/20 size are a lot more expensive I wanted them wider but at this point I don’t know why I don’t think it made any difference I think it’s hard to see the difference.
Yeah I figure at 32.9”, even though slightly narrower, I can deflate for off-roading yet still maintain somewhere north of stock height of tire.
Also, I’ve read that a narrower tire is preferable for rainy day performance...which is something to consider in in the southeast where I live.

@highfructose Just when I thought I had made up my mind, you come in with a completely new option! :)

1. Do you have any pictures of your rig with the 275/60r20's on it?
2. How has ride quality and mpg been with this size, as compared to stock?

@highfructose Just when I thought I had made up my mind, you come in with a completely new option! :)

1. Do you have any pictures of your rig with the 275/60r20's on it?
2. How has ride quality and mpg been with this size, as compared to stock?
I only had stock tires on for a very short time right when I got it...I noticed a slight increase in road noise with the k02’s, but it’s not something I notice anymore. K02’s are known to be on the quiet side. Fuel economy is what you’d expect. I don’t like going more than 65-70 in it if I can help it...it’s a 6,000 lb suv on a luxury suspension and 33’s after all. I drive very conservatively (seen too many dead bodies and read too many statistics).
My notes indicate I got 20.7 mpg at 55 mph (in Florida) on my most recent 200 mile trip. I got 20 mpg at 65 on that same trip on the way back until I hit traffic...the total hand calculated mpg including change in odometer due to tire size was 19.55 mpg. I haven’t kept close records of what I got from 70-75 on my interstate trips. I think it was north of 16.5 though...so the hit to mpg by going up just this little bit isn’t major. I can’t stress enough that I’m a conservative driver though. Your mileage may vary. My tank to tank average is usually in the 14-16 range...which is typical I think.

ride quality is good in my opinion...this is subjective however. These k02’s are light truck tires. If you want ultimate comfort, I would stick with oem sized p tires.

040CD531-F231-4132-8BD7-8A11F57297ED.jpeg

C5E23C83-F264-450F-B676-A57D592169F2.jpeg

E3F5306F-4442-45C3-8FF4-396DB9B8B234.jpeg

I'm an advocate for larger and wider tires. Not necessarily wildly so, although I've found the platform to take increasingly larger tires with aplomb. The level of performance at each step over my build iterations gave me the confidence to go all the way to 35x12.5s. To that point, I think there's a great opportunity in a mild lesser represented size - 295/55R20.

It's available in both KO2 and Toyo ATIII flavor. Spec sizing at 32.8" x 12.2" which is a tire size that the LX will easily accommodate. Diameter that's inline with a factory approved Rock Warrior 285/70R17 (32.7"x11.2") fitment, but wider for the heavier LX, and to maintain cornering and braking performance as builds gain weight. Wider tires also help with ride quality with more compliant sidewall geometry.

Here's my incrementally larger 305/55R20 (33.2" x 12.4") which I ran for over 50k miles on Falken AT3Ws. Can't say enough good things about this setup.

To the points about NVH, comfort, quietness, and performance... I'd highly recommend the newest Toyo ATIIIs in LT flavor. These have 4+ years of advantage over other tires in development technology having just been released.

1610994385226.png

I'm an advocate for larger and wider tires. Not necessarily wildly so, although I've found the platform to take increasingly larger tires with aplomb. The level of performance at each step over my build iterations gave me the confidence to go all the way to 35x12.5s. To that point, I think there's a great opportunity in a mild lesser represented size - 295/55R20.

It's available in both KO2 and Toyo ATIII flavor. Spec sizing at 32.8" x 12.2" which is a tire size that the LX will easily accommodate. Diameter that's inline with a factory approved Rock Warrior 285/70R17 (32.7"x11.2") fitment, but wider for the heavier LX, and to maintain cornering and braking performance as builds gain weight. Wider tires also help with ride quality with more compliant sidewall geometry.

Here's my incrementally larger 305/55R20 (33.2" x 12.4") which I ran for over 50k miles on Falken AT3Ws. Can't say enough good things about this setup.

To the points about NVH, comfort, quietness, and performance... I'd highly recommend the newest Toyo ATIIIs in LT flavor. These have 4+ years of advantage over other tires in development technology having just been released.

View attachment 2557156
I wouldn’t mind going wider...technically an all terrain tire tread pattern removes some of the rubber that would be touching the ground...so by going wider when you move to an all terrain, you might technically be returning some of that rubber you removed.

did you need spacers to run the 305 55 r20’s?
Do you think spacers for 295 55 r20 would be needed?

I wouldn’t mind going wider...technically an all terrain tire tread pattern removes some of the rubber that would be touching the ground...so by going wider when you move to an all terrain, you might technically be returning some of that rubber you removed.

did you need spacers to run the 305 55 r20’s?
Do you think spacers for 295 55 r20 would be needed?

You hit the nail on the head. AT tires by design have more voids and less rubber on the road. In many ways, likely results in a downgrade to on-road performance, and safety. Which is why it's important in my mind that when trying to achieve more off-road performance, that considerations are made to balance and avoid overly compromising elsewhere.

Yes, I used 1" spacers with my 305s. Not only for clearance, but to correct for scrub radius geometry and maintain lateral stability with the tire lift.

I'm not sure if a 295 would require it, but likely a .75" spacer would support the fitment nicely.

You hit the nail on the head. AT tires by design have more voids and less rubber on the road. In many ways, likely results in a downgrade to on-road performance, and safety. Which is why it's important in my mind that when trying to achieve more off-road performance, that considerations are made to balance and avoid overly compromising elsewhere.

Yes, I used 1" spacers with my 305s. Not only for clearance, but to correct for scrub radius geometry and maintain lateral stability with the tire lift.

I'm not sure if a 295 would require it, but likely a .75" spacer would support the fitment nicely.
Theoretically, let’s say one wanted a 295-305 width and somewhere in the 32.5”-33” diameter...is there an optimum offset oem rim available to maintain proper scrub radius and requiring no massaging and trimming of plastic?

i would be curious to find the “perfect” size tire and rim sans spacers for the platform with all terrains.

When I only drive about 300 miles a week mostly short trips three or 4 miles each way I average 10 miles to the gallon on premium. When I hit the highway I’m about 17 to 19 miles per gallon for long trips at 60 to 70 miles an hour. 285/55/20 BFG AT KO2’s, 2015 LX570 about 50,000 miles on the rig

I like the 305 set up a lot. Which 1 inch spacers did you run and did you run them on all 4 corners or just the front? I would guess all to keep the track the same. And exactly what did you have to trim or move(mudflaps, fender liner, pinch weld) to make it work with the oem 20 inch rims?

Theoretically, let’s say one wanted a 295-305 width and somewhere in the 32.5”-33” diameter...is there an optimum offset oem rim available to maintain proper scrub radius and requiring no massaging and trimming of plastic?

i would be curious to find the “perfect” size tire and rim sans spacers for the platform with all terrains.

This question is tougher than it seems as there's not a lot out there. If we're talking about tire analogues of similar overall dimensions, then the 17" Rock Warriors being designed for a 32.7" tire with +50mm offset is it. Once upon a time, there was a BBS/TRD forged 20" wheel that came in +45. I've not seen it since but it was of this style
1611073709696.png

I like the 305 set up a lot. Which 1 inch spacers did you run and did you run them on all 4 corners or just the front? I would guess all to keep the track the same. And exactly what did you have to trim or move(mudflaps, fender liner, pinch weld) to make it work with the oem 20 inch rims?

I ran 1" spacers all around (effective offset +35). I still run them now with 35s. They were sourced back in the day before wide availability and came from Ebay as "TRD" 1" Tundra spacers. Everything you need to know about fitment here

This question is tougher than it seems as there's not a lot out there. If we're talking about tire analogues of similar overall dimensions, then the 17" Rock Warriors being designed for a 32.7" tire with +50mm offset is it. Once upon a time, there was a BBS/TRD forged 20" wheel that came in +45. I've not seen it since but it was of this style
View attachment 2558282

I ran 1" spacers all around (effective offset +35). I still run them now with 35s. They were sourced back in the day before wide availability and came from Ebay as "TRD" 1" Tundra spacers. Everything you need to know about fitment here
Perfect. Thanks for the link and the info. Stuff like this is why this forum is so good

Congrats. How do they compare on all the variables: Noise, Handling, Comfort, off road etc?
So far, very happy.

Keep in mind, I own an LX which has the usual LX sound abatement. With that being said, the noise, handling, comfort, and off road use have been great so far.

We had snow last week here, which is rare, and I'd put them a bit below the KO2s in winter weather driving, but still very good. I had no problems safely driving when most others were stuck at home.

I'm pleased with the purchase, and if I could go back and do it all over again I would change nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom