275 70 18 or 275 65 17 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I need new tires and I feel like the stock tires look too wimpy. I have my heart set on Michelin defender ltx m/s. I have a lexus lx470 which its sole purpose is for road trips and weekend camping. I live in fl and have no intention of going off road. So my two choices are 275 70 18 and 275 65 18. My main concern is with the 70 series only comes in E rated tires. I'm afraid it'll take away from the comfort of the Michelin . I really want the 70 series but will it look odd with a highway tire 33. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

If your LX is still on AHC, and the pressures are within spec, you’ll barely notice the difference on ride comfort on E-rated tires. As long as your tires are inflated in the 32-35 PSI range it’ll ride the almost the same, I can attest to this becoming this is my current wheel-tire setup. However, the E-rated tire is 35% heavier. That said, you now have increased rolling resistance and will significantly affect your MPG (if you are conscious about that at all). E-rated tires also give you stronger tire side wall giving you more predictable tire behavior when you air it down if you go off-road (if you’re in to that kind of recreational fun). It’s all about how you will use the tire and ultimately if you want to compromise in some areas. You gain some you loose some.

Thanks for your response. I wish florida had the places and roads for the recreational stuff. Its a flat land. I decided to go with 275 65 18. I want comfort. And quietness. My have stock ahc. My pressures are within spec. 6.6 upfront and 6.5 rear. I can probably tweak that. Need some time.

For what it's worth, I just mounted 275x70x18 on my LX470 (AHC). I have 275x65x18 on my G500. They are both, E rated, BFG AT tires. The LX470 had the Michelin Defenders you noted, in the stock size (275x60), before the new BFGs.

Just did a 4hr road trip today and didn't notice much of a difference in comfort/noise. However, the speedometer is off by approx 5 mph (speedo reads 70 / gps is 75). The 70 series tires REALLY fill the wheel-wells. Personally, I wouldn't want to go bigger with a stock setup & I think the 65 series would have also been great.

Based on your intended use, there's no functional argument for the bigger size & I think you made the right call. Minor benefit is that your speedometer won't be as far off as mine, and you'll get a bit better mileage as @OEMGUY0720 noted.

Enjoy your rig!

I really wanted the Michelin defender ltx . Maybe I was overthinking the E rated tires. Ive been doing research and most people cant tell the difference unless its the lower mpg and the speedometer being off but thats because of the 70 series side wall. Before this car I had a lifted 2008 4 runner 3inches on nitto ridge grapplers 285/70/17. My speedometer was off about 5mph and I did notice worse gas mileage but none of that bothered me. What really killed it for me the car didnt feel steady on the highway. My wife hated riding in that car. So for the lx470 I didnt want to mess up the ride quality like the 4runner. Im sure this car will feel right at home with the 70 series tire. It currently has hankook 285/60/18 on there. It rides fine but theyre all cupped from bad cv joints the old owner neglected to change. I wanted a taller tire but without sacrificing ride quality. I ordered the 275/65/18 from a local tire shop which should get there today. I had originally ordered 275/70/18 same tire but E rated. Its like i want the 70 series but afraid it might not ride as smooth as the 65. Then have my wife in my ear saying I told you so. lol

I really wanted the Michelin defender ltx . Maybe I was overthinking the E rated tires. Ive been doing research and most people cant tell the difference unless its the lower mpg and the speedometer being off but thats because of the 70 series side wall. Before this car I had a lifted 2008 4 runner 3inches on nitto ridge grapplers 285/70/17. My speedometer was off about 5mph and I did notice worse gas mileage but none of that bothered me. What really killed it for me the car didnt feel steady on the highway. My wife hated riding in that car. So for the lx470 I didnt want to mess up the ride quality like the 4runner. Im sure this car will feel right at home with the 70 series tire. It currently has hankook 285/60/18 on there. It rides fine but theyre all cupped from bad cv joints the old owner neglected to change. I wanted a taller tire but without sacrificing ride quality. I ordered the 275/65/18 from a local tire shop which should get there today. I had originally ordered 275/70/18 same tire but E rated. Its like i want the 70 series but afraid it might not ride as smooth as the 65. Then have my wife in my ear saying I told you so. lol
I had a 4th gen 4Runner V8 before my LX. I had a Donahoe Stage 2 kit (now it's called Icon), with the caster set to max on the UCA, my 4Runner was smooth as silk on the freeway. The maxed out caster also fixed the rubbing issue I had with the front tires. I ran BFG KO D's on it.

I had a 4th gen 4Runner V8 before my LX. I had a Donahoe Stage 2 kit (now it's called Icon), with the caster set to max on the UCA, my 4Runner was smooth as silk on the freeway. The maxed out caster also fixed the rubbing issue I had with the front tires. I ran BFG KO D's on it.
I had dobinson uca. They had set the caster as much as they could. Maybe they were not up to the task but I could never get that car to track right on the highway. Now I'm here with a lx that runs beautiful. So you can see I'm scared to overdue anything.

20210119_171157.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom