270 Awning on stock LC200 roof rails? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to get a 270 awning for an upcoming trip to west Texas and Utah. Has anyone used universal brackets to mount eezi-awn 270 batwing or any 270 awning on stock roof rails? Main concern is the wind out that way is treacherous. Not looking to purchase a roof rack just yet. Looked into ARB universal brackets and some homemade options, any advice helps. Or you can just tell me I’m a ding dong, however which way.

Definitely possible.

FWIW they'd be far easier to fab out of 1/4" thick by 2" aluminum angle.
I'm working right now (parts ordered) to move the batwing up 40mm to try to get it above the rear hatch wind dam when the hatch is open.

Totally doable, and 1 foot of 2" angle is like $10. I just bought an 8 ft piece a the local metal supply for $40.

FWIW they'd be far easier to fab out of 1/4" thick by 2" aluminum angle.
I'm working right now (parts ordered) to move the batwing up 40mm to try to get it above the rear hatch wind dam when the hatch is open.

Totally doable, and 1 foot of 2" angle is like $10. I just bought an 8 ft piece a the local metal supply for $40.
I didn’t even consider if the awning would clear with the air dam, I’ll keep that in mind. I’ll fabricate it with aluminum for sure I have some angle in the garage. Have you had it out in high wind at all?

I didn’t even consider if the awning would clear with the air dam, I’ll keep that in mind. I’ll fabricate it with aluminum for sure I have some angle in the garage. Have you had it out in high wind at all?
I haven’t had any wind problems. If it’ll be up for a long time I stake it. The legs and staking are very easy to use. The leg length you only have to adjust on initial setup as they are left extended when stored. Of course can adjust for a hill if needed. The air dam on mine gets trapped behind the last rod, but it isn’t in the way with door open or closed, only if it was open and then I put the awning up. It’s close and I think another 40mm will fix it.

legless awning is definitely easier, but also heavier and more $

Thinking about doing a combination of arb universal brackets on the stock arms and aluminum fabricated brackets like grinchy in between, the eeze-awn 270 awning is almost 50lbs. Little bit of overkill but I’m all about it.

I used the brackets that came with my Rhino compact awning. Attached to 80/20 cross bar. Slides in channel and tighten down. Easy to put on and take off. With the OEM crossbars, you could source some Yakima oval mounts or something similar to secure it. Clears rear hatch fine while open.
61D48170-E987-4FF7-B324-9DD5730424ED.jpeg
37A8591C-F8DD-4D95-BB82-0E8FCD8403D8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom