265/70/17 rubbing ... just a wee bit, need suggestions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrTorgue

Grizzly Clint
Threads
Ok folks, here's where my 265/70/17 Ridge Grapplers are rubbing. As you can see it is just a wee bit and mostly on the bolt head. So, any suggestions that are inexpensive to try first? I suppose I could cut the mudguards at an angle and see about finding a lower profile bolt? I don't want to remove them yet as I don't have the wheel well or vehicle coated yet. Are there any aftermarket mudguard solutions I should consider or is my redneck science thoughts on the right path? Haha.

All nascar or political jokes aside, I do more left turns than right turns it seems. Oh and I know they aren't technically mudguards but meh, I couldn't find a better name for them because its Monday and I'm sleep deprived.

IMG_0695b.jpg

IMG_0696b.jpg

Reactions: r2m
Let me take a pic of mine in a hour or so and I'll show you what I did, but it did involve cutting a vertical strip out of the inside edge of the running board piece in red.

Let me take a pic of mine in a hour or so and I'll show you what I did, but it did involve cutting a vertical strip out of the inside edge of the running board piece in red.

I'd like to see it. Though, I solved the problem by accident on purpose. LOL

Fun fact. I ended up solving the problem on accident but on purpose.

IMG_0698.JPG

My bad, one hour turned into many, but better late than never. What’d ya come up with?

I trimmed the running board inside edge and the inner fender liner with a razor blade. Then screwed the fender liner to the seam weld to stop it from flapping (since I remove a bolt that held in and the top inside corner of the running board).

I used the rubbing marks to determine where to trim, gave it a good 50% extra clearance too. Then I had to flatten/bend the seam weld at the bottom edge and BMC. All just for 285/70R17s.

E394ABC1-E334-4D5A-9C0F-BE036E49D132.jpeg
8E9B5B05-34B9-42F9-BEA4-A35CB338A205.jpeg

What’d ya come up with?

Completely removed the running boards. Problem solved. Been meaning to do it but didn't have the time so I took a quick "lunch" while at work and walked outside and spent 10 mins removing them. It was so easy and I had a ton of space to do it with.

I did the same as @jmanscotch. Get some sliders and the problem will resolve itself lol.

I did the same as @jmanscotch. Get some sliders and the problem will resolve itself lol.

Took the boards completely off and I'll run that way for the 460 for the foreseeable future. The 470 will get the sliders and lift since it will be the overlander. The 460 is more of a "drive off-road to the cabin" or a "oohhhhh lets see where this dirt road goes" kind of thing. Off-road capable yes, but it won't be doing any rock climbing or insane articulation sort of thing.

The only issue with that is that the only thing keeping dirt, mud, water, etc. from entering your cabin via the bottom of the doors now is the door seal itself. The side steps tie into the lower body side skirts acting as a direct secondary barrier prior to the door seal itself. You'll likely see a lot more dirt and debris inside the area surrounding the door seals now.

The only issue with that is that the only thing keeping dirt, mud, water, etc. from entering your cabin via the bottom of the doors now is the door seal itself. The side steps tie into the lower body side skirts acting as a direct secondary barrier prior to the door seal itself. You'll likely see a lot more dirt and debris inside the area surrounding the door seals now.

For sure. I'm thinking about a solution, either some rubust weather stripping or something else. I'm still mulling over the options in my head.

Update, I still rub, ever so slightly. I have to now figure out where...

Under what circumstances are you rubbing? Lock-to-lock backing out, pulling in, driveway, speed bump driving slowly?
If you can duplicate the rubbing, have someone either drive or watch standing outside. I'd prefer to be the person looking for the rubbing, having a better idea of where it may be and have my wife to the slow drive. Repeat back and forth until you lock in where it's rubbing.
Although, I'm sure you already knew this.

Under what circumstances are you rubbing? Lock-to-lock backing out, pulling in, driveway, speed bump driving slowly?
If you can duplicate the rubbing, have someone either drive or watch standing outside. I'd prefer to be the person looking for the rubbing, having a better idea of where it may be and have my wife to the slow drive. Repeat back and forth until you lock in where it's rubbing.
Although, I'm sure you already knew this.

The rubbing comes under full lock either when I'm braking (nose dive) or full lock when I'm pulling up an incline. I thought about rednecking a test where I put white shoe polish on the tires and see where it shows up in the wheel well. Haha... The rubbing definitely got much much better after removing the running boards.

If you've got kiddies, wonder if some of their "sidewalk" chalk might work instead of shoe polish? It wouldn't last as long but easier to use and remove.

If you've got kiddies, wonder if some of their "sidewalk" chalk might work instead of shoe polish? It wouldn't last as long but easier to use and remove.

That's a good idea. I do have a power washer so that should get the shoe polish off no? I like the chalk idea. I can reproduce this rubbing right outside my driveway.

Update, I still rub, ever so slightly. I have to now figure out where...

I don’t think your tires are big enough to think it’d be the body mount or seam weld behind the fender liner, so I’m going to guess either the front of the inner fender or the back of the inner fender where your removed the top-inside running board bolt.

If that corner of the liner is dangling loose, it could easily bend out a touch and contact the tire just as the bolt in that spot did.

I also rubbed on the front side of the liner on mine due to some missing fender liner fasteners that let it sag. Wore a hole and had to cut some excess off in the middle and then fasten it back up.

I don’t think your tires are big enough to think it’d be the body mount or seam weld behind the fender liner, so I’m going to guess either the front of the inner fender or the back of the inner fender where your removed the top-inside running board bolt.

If that corner of the liner is dangling loose, it could easily bend out a touch and contact the tire just as the bolt in that spot did.

I also rubbed on the front side of the liner on mine due to some missing fender liner fasteners that let it sag. Wore a hole and had to cut some excess off in the middle and then fasten it back up.

That's an interesting thought... I'm hoping it isn't something that will require a bunch of work to remedy. Would getting a small spacer help? It'll be a while before I get my lift on this rig as the wife's 470 is first since it's the overlander.

Spacer would be more hassle than the alternative 5-10 minute fix.

I support what Richard said, since you can reproduce the rub even entering the driveway, have the wife drive and watch the tire to see where it rubs. I was just offering some suspected places to keep an eye out when doing that.

With 265/70 17s, it’s gotta be something plastic or at worse, the pinch weld, and a big hammer or some vise grips will fix that. I just barely needed the body mount chop and mainly decided to go ahead with it since I have a welder and could DIY it. I don’t imagine you’re even close to one with rubbing entering the driveway and not at extreme flex and turning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom