260K Miles 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

255k on mine. Just took a 3400 mile trip, 300 off road, without cell coverage, and never touched my toolbox. I’d drive to Alaska tomorrow without hesitation.

Now, that doesn’t mean I won’t take my toolbox on trips.

I also would not have made that claim the first few months I owned it. I needed to bring a few things up to speed and get to know it. Whatever you buy, I would plan on a few thousand of “get to know you” repairs, but for me the truck is worth every penny and then some.

You should also factor in the convenience of parts available/mechanics available for the us 4.7L. that Jdm truck is cool but you really cant walk into an autozone if you're stranded far from home. also big ticket motor repairs might not be as easy as walking into your local mom n pop shop.

You should also factor in the convenience of parts available/mechanics available for the us 4.7L. that Jdm truck is cool but you really cant walk into an autozone if you're stranded far from home. also big ticket motor repairs might not be as easy as walking into your local mom n pop shop.
Yeah, I looked up the availability and cost for some of the parts especially for the diesel engine. Given the thousands it can cost to baseline a normal truck, adding the JDM-specific complexity doesn't make a lot of sense for me. I am kicking myself for waiting this long to pull the trigger on a LC. And also for buying an 03 4Runner that is 2WD last year. It only had 60K miles - in excellent shape - and was a good price but it's just a shame it's not 4WD.

That's obvious. I'm referring to the not so obvious things. Like the early 1GR-FE had a head gasket problem that was later corrected in the 4th gen 4Runners. It may have been less forgiving if you didn't change the oil and coolant on time.

Although, I haven't seen any high mileage LCs with the 40+ oil change records you'd expect on Carfax or the Toyota owner's portal. Not to say it hasn't been done but it's a crap shoot whether it's really been done often enough.
Well, you never mentioned anything about not so obvious things in your first post. Even 1GR-FE with not so obvious things can go beyond 300k miles. I wouldn't worry about 260k miles if it was my car. I would be very careful when buying one with 260k miles because it could get very expensive very fast.

I have owned a couple 100 series and love them, but they are not worth what they are going for today. You could buy a newer LR3 for half the price. A well maintained newer Land Rover is just as reliable as a 100 series with 200,000 plus on it.

I don't think these trucks going 200,000 plus is a matter of quality as much as a matter of passion. There is pride in a high mileage 100 series and therefore money is spent on maintenance. Not so with LR owners.

I'm thinking long and hard about cashing out on my current LX and going back to an LR3 or 4.

Jim
I had a 2002 P38 Range Rover with only 105,000 miles. It was a piece of garbage. Cruise didn't work, rear wiper didn't work, headliner sagged, heater core leaked from the o-ring behind the dash which was a nightmare to replace, brake accumulator failed, the door handles wore in such a way that you had to pull them so hard it felt like they would snap off every time you opened the door, the radio would make a screaming beeping noise if you tried to use the Nav, sometimes couldn't shift it into park because the linkage was junk and hard to adjust, all air bags were replaced and it still leaned to one side over night, the cylinder liners were known to slip in the later years turning the car into a paper-weight. I sold it for half of what I paid because I wanted things to work and they never will. But I miss it and I still love it. LandRovers are beloved but it's an abusive relationship. I've heard good things about the LR3-4.

1625883931040.png

There is almost no other brand produces reliable cars as consistently as Toyota/Lexus. From my friends' and my own experience, all ours cars with >200k miles without major issues are Toyota/Lexus. I've had Lexus LSx2, ES, LX, Toyota LC, Corolla, Camry, 4runner x2, all bought very used and drove to reach well above 200k miles, none had major issues. But we often hear complaint from friends who own other brands after a few months into ownership, even sometimes shortly after bought new 😂 Wouldn't trust any other brand than Toyota/Lexus for high mileage vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom