26 February 2011 Day Trip Trail Ride Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did the same, and found nothing to indicate that specific trail was off limits. Ant the fact that most other trails we passed were marked would lead one to believe that trail was ok. It is sad, but i really think we had an officer looking to make a little money and pad his ego. That behavior really gives law enforcement a bad name when the majority of officers out there are trustworthy and well intentioned.

Either way, it was a very fun day, and i look forward to the next. Thanks Tracy

Those pictures do not do justice to the MASSIVE ledge (in the eyes of this off-roading newbie) at the top of that one climb ;) I am actually surprised I was able to negotiate that with stock sagging springs and stock 29" street tires. I can't wait to go back after installing my new springs and tires so I'm not bumping my diff on every rock sticking up more than 6" off the ground.

I had a great time, and thanks to all who posted pics for posterity.

-b

The one thing I always like to watch is a stocker doing what the engineers designed it for. Not beating it (although I do like watching that too) just the amazing terain a stock Toyota Land Cruiser will go throw.

That's what the Land Cruiser community is for to show people how capable these vehicles are. And have fun doing it.

When you get those springs on there you should attend a gathering up at Roush Creek there are some good semi-tame trail to do there.

Chris

Great pictures and I wish I couldve made it. I camped in that exact spot a few months ago in the fall (complete with a midnight "deer" aka bear visit). Is the off the trail portion the small loop with that little mudhole if you drive past the fire pit? Did you all go through that hole or was he ticketing just for cresting the ridge to the opening. (Look past the ole Disco. :eek: )
DSCN1537.jpg

the "off trail" portion is the trail going to the fire pit. yea. . . really off trail - you were in the ticket zone. what happened with the bear?

the "off trail" portion is the trail going to the fire pit. yea. . . really off trail - you were in the ticket zone. what happened with the bear?

Really? So the two track going up that little hill to the almost cul de sac around the fire pit is off trail? That's insane. There was no signage there at all, there were about 10 others that came up to set up camp and were quite dismayed by ours already being set up. Its a fantastic, well sort of, place to spend the night. Around midnight a "deer" paid a visit and was sniffing the tent hard. I have never seen my girlfriends eyes open so wide. I told her it was a deer but at the same time reached down to grip the axe next to the cot. About an hour later, a wind storm rolled through and being the wide open top of a hill that it is, it made sleeping a chore. In the morning, I got out before her and in my walking, discovered and quickly kicked out the "deer" tracks. If I hadn't said it was a deer, the odds of her ever coming out with me again would amount to zero.

Is a Ranger coming to the meeting tomorrow? It'll be my first one and I want to hear the explanation. I guess in the future, the truck will have to be parked and everything hiked in?

Not me. I wasn't on the trail ride. I was stuck at home with intense envy. :crybaby:

OBTW, I design public safety radio communications systems. My radios work very well. ;)

Ed

My mistake. It was Steve (also with a red 40).

Great pictures and I wish I couldve made it. I camped in that exact spot a few months ago in the fall (complete with a midnight "deer" aka bear visit). Is the off the trail portion the small loop with that little mudhole if you drive past the fire pit? Did you all go through that hole or was he ticketing just for cresting the ridge to the opening. (Look past the ole Disco. :eek: )

Blasphemy!!!!!!!:flipoff2:

Only if you drove it off a cliff or something.... :D

wait. . . arent land cruisers and land rovers the same thing?;p

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Sorry about the tickets that everyone got, certainly a downer for what looks like a great outing.

my wife did a double take today when she saw my new bumper sticker (magnet)

"Land Rover Support Vehicle"

not as direct as the "jeep recovery vehicle" magnet, but she thought the 'Rover one was more "on par" with an LC, vs. the rif-raf that are jeeps...

from a fellow mud member, ah here it is: https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/455093-funny-lc-magnets.html

I saw that sticker last night and laughed. One thing you cannot notice is the rear wheel seal that chose that spot to give up the ghost and the puddle of 80/90 on the inside of the wheel.

I went up there on Sunday and that section is now marked.

Many of the off trail mudpits are not marked still, but the overlook is....Brilliant.

The area is unchanged. Some areas are marked with small yellow signs which state "No Vehicle Traffic". The place where the citations were issued had no such signs.

After Saturday, I searched the NFS web-page for any indication of constraints/restrictions. I may not have searched well enough, but I saw no clear indication of what existing trails are "legal" and "not legal". There is no "map". The only thing I can infer is to stay on the Forest Service Roads--meaning all trails and paths aside from the FS Road should be considered "No Vehicle Traffic".

The MVUM is the final word. Basically assume closed unless posted open :eek:.

I have spent a lot of time negotaiting the twisted world of GWNF travel management... mainly for dual sport riding. I need to come along with you all on your next outing.

George Washington & Jefferson National Forests- Maps & Publications

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom