26 February 2011 Day Trip Trail Ride Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SAS

Seeking higher vistas
Threads
Thanks to everyone for a great day on the trails--with one notable exception--it was a great day!

Below are some images from the trail ride.

The day started with breakfast at Mom's Country Kitchen in Front Royal. To my surprise, there were nearly 20 in attendance! It was a pleasure to meet some new folks, and great to see a couple CLCC members who don't frequently make it into the city. I'm glad we chose to make a breakfast gathering outside of the metro area.

Many of us then convoyed down to Harrisonburg--and arrived at the Ottobine Country Store at HWY 257 and HWY 613. We filled their parking lot, but finally everyone got fueled-up and stocked-up on snacks; after a brief trail orientation, we moved out to the trail head--15 trucks in all.

Once on the trail, we stopped to make any final adjustments.
100_3384.jpg

100_3385.jpg

100_3386.jpg

100_3387.jpg

100_3388.jpg

100_3394.jpg

We made a long and gradual climb up one mountain, and soon started down. We found the first significant rock obstacle, which everyone negotiated without problem. But it was quite exciting for a few new-to-offroad drivers.

100_3389.jpg

100_3391.jpg

100_3393.jpg

A short distance later was a hill climb--with a small rock ledge at the top. Again, everyone negotiated this obstacle with no problems.

100_3395.jpg

100_3398.jpg

100_3401.jpg

100_3403.jpg

100_3405.jpg

100_3411.jpg

100_3414.jpg

100_3419.jpg

100_3420.jpg

100_3421.jpg

Moving from there, we arrived at Meadow Knob, and took a break to allow the kids to get out and expend some energy. I think there were nearly 20 children (age 12 years or under)! This was great--to see families sharing a good time on the trails.

We were making good time--roughly 1/2 through the trail with plenty of daylight left.

We drove for another 20-30 minutes and arrived at Bald Knob. There was a great flex spot which was very muddy. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures!

We didn't stay but perhaps ten minutes, and then continued. We started down the mountain, and came to a point where there are three trails that merge up a hill, arriving at another small meadow. I stayed at the base of this hill, and told others who had not been to GWNF about the meadow. Several went up the trail, and others parked. To our dismay, there was a US Forest Service officer up there, writing citations for being off the approved "Forest Service Trail".

We had seen other areas along the trail which had small yellow signs indicating "No Vehicle Traffic"--and of course, we avoided those sites. The area in which several drivers were cited, had no such markers. Naturally, we were disgusted.

The process of writing citations seemed to last forever--and one by one, the cited drivers returned down the hill. A lot of time had expired, and we were losing daylight. We moved hurriedly down the remained of the trail, maybe two miles, and arrived at HWY 257.

From this point, most everyone was in a rush to get headed home. The USFS citation incident put us well behind schedule, and put a gray cloud over what was otherwise a fantastic day on the trails.

Last edited:
great trip, great turn-out and great write up Tracy.

it was a blast, despite the $225 fine, which i will be headed to Harrisonberg to protest. It was a great group and a great time.

ps. if you have to pay $225 for a fine as a first time rider, does this go to CLCC membership dues??? ;)

Thanks for the invite!! We will be at the next one.

ugh...that sucks about thinking you're on a trail and not being on a trail...

who's 55? Why was Vince allowed to drive?

That is Cam's Aussie pig

Fun times. The kids had a blast and the trails were just hard enough to keep it interesting...

hey i didn't flop or anything!!

we had a great time. it was nice to see so many rigs/families show for a trail ride.

Nice Piggy! Looks like you had a (mostly) good day and a good turn out.

That stinks about the fines. I guess it was a blessing that my truck wasn't running right or I'd been another added to the list. Other than that it looks like you had some great weather

Last edited:
poser shot

geo wash natl forst clcc trail ride 050.jpg

and our dear friend

geo wash natl forst clcc trail ride 054.jpg
geo wash natl forst clcc trail ride 050.jpg
geo wash natl forst clcc trail ride 054.jpg

I would've told 'em "I'm Cam Beasley and Fxxx You!"

Just a quick question - did everybody get the fine, or only those that took the wrong turn?

I look my 7 day old 4Runner Trail around that area with my wife and 18 moth old - I wish I'd have known you were driving there yesterday.

If only unlucky folks got fined, is there interest in another one?

Was that Cam Beasley - Amateur Rock Racing legend?

We had a great time and it was great meeting all of you guys. My wife took some awesome pics that I'll get up loaded to picasa and post a link. Everyone needs to get CBs and get them working correctly!
DSC02360_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom