255/85r16 mounted on FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnnyC

Long ago TLCA# 2231
Threads
I will be needing some tires at some point soon. I have been looking into different options in 255/85r16. There are alot of bias ply that i like but i need a tire for everyday DDing that will last longer.

My current tires Toyo M55's are great. but they no longer make the 8ply only 10 ply and the cost reflects the change....$300+ a tire.

I dont care for the open country by toyo...i like the more simpler looking tires now.

My tires before were SS's but they wear fast even the radials. and before that I had BFG MT's that I did not like them at all.

Looking for people's experiences with these tires and pictures on FJ40's if possible.

I have found a few choices in the 255/85r16 size:
Telstar TrailCutter Radial RT 255/85r16 I have seen these for $135 each
johnnyc-albums-tires-picture13681-untitled.jpg
johnnyc-albums-tires-picture13682-untitled2.jpg

Multi Mile Wild Spirit Radial TXR II 255/85r16:
johnnyc-albums-tires-picture13679-26fba436-45f4-466a-b6eb-ac1ecffdd7eb.jpg

Remington Mud Brute in 255/85r16:
johnnyc-albums-tires-picture13680-c6bcd796-19cd-4c69-80d3-14b12dde4b8e.jpg

Cooper Discovery S/T in 255/85r16 for about $200 each:
johnnyc-albums-tires-picture13678-8ce06612-4219-414f-becb-6a5590da8cee.jpg

I know some local guys are having some good luck with the Cooper's, but not on Land Cruiser's, only the Big 3 p/u's. Good luck with your choice.:steer: Brendon

i have a local place that sells the coopers....so...i dont have to pay shipping...but they would need to order them....they have noe that i would be able to check out and compare to.

BJEC69 had they had them on for some time? loud? quiet? good or poor wear? sorry for all the Q's

How about the Interco TrXus MT?

It's a nice looking radial 8ply tire. I think Jacket is running them.

I agree with the simpler tire choices - and am surprised that I like those Telstars - the price helps.

I really like the Radial Rovers on Roberto's build: https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/286519-1983-bj42-buildup-resto-13.html

I have a set of South African made Good Years on the 16" wheels on my Series Rover, they were Defender take offs with the Wolf wheels - price is right - I think $450 for 5 - but they have pretty big voids. Ride nice - will see how the mileage ends up.

I have a set of South African made Good Years on the 16" wheels on my Series Rover, they were Defender take offs with the Wolf wheels - price is right - I think $450 for 5 - but they have pretty big voids. Ride nice - will see how the mileage ends up.

the Goodyears that you have are they the G90 or Hi-Miler Xtra Grip? or?

in a 7.50x16?

most 7.50 that have any sort of good looking tread are always bias...were was it for $450 ebay? or online?

i have a local place that sells the coopers....so...i dont have to pay shipping...but they would need to order them....they have noe that i would be able to check out and compare to.

BJEC69 had they had them on for some time? loud? quiet? good or poor wear? sorry for all the Q's
Two guys put them on before winter for snow plowing. They are on diesel's, so I can't verify the noise. So far I think the wear is well, but not that many miles. I just put Dunlop Rover Maxx Traction on the Tundra. A bit loud, but not as loud as you would think they would be with such an agressive tread. Michelin has a new tread pattern on their LTX/AT2. They are usually expensive, but wear like iron, ride well, and are not loud. I would also recommend looking at Nokian Vatiiva. I had them on my 100, and were really impressed. Had 15,000 miles on them and could hardly measure the wear. They were also awesome in the snow/ice. I am sorry I didn't put them on the Tundra, but wanted to try something new. Sorry to ramble. Good luck.:cheers:Brendon

the Goodyears that you have are they the G90 or Hi-Miler Xtra Grip? or?

in a 7.50x16?

most 7.50 that have any sort of good looking tread are always bias...were was it for $450 ebay? or online?

I think they're the G90's - will look tonight when I get home...sending a PM with some more info.

I've got the Cooper S/Ts on my Tundra. They are louder than just about every other AllTerrain tire out there. They may not be quite as loud as an MT, but I haven't had MT's on the truck.

For mileage, I got an easy 50,000 miles out of them with 6/32 of tread left when I got a new set.

They've sailed through all the offroad I've managed to give them, never been rockcrawling though. The do mud, snow, sand, gravel, etc just fine.

Never saw BFG on your list?

:confused:

My tires before were SS's but they wear fast even the radials. and before that I had BFG MT's that I did not like them at all.

Never saw BFG on your list?

:confused:

I had good luck with the Remington mud brute tires in 255/85-R16 but that was on a full size pick up. I didn't know they were still made (or anybody carried them). BFGs wear out too fast on a DD for my taste. Coopers seem to rank a close second to the Toyo M55s with the logging crowd around here.

Coopers seem to rank a close second to the Toyo M55s with the logging crowd around here.

yep...toyo m55 was my top list...and i loved them while i had them....but...could not justify the price with a wife 3 kids and a mortgage :D

they lasted about 7 years on my DD however...great tires...

well see how the coopers compare in the long haul :)

i had mounted the coopers awhile ago...and are very pleased with the construction of the tire. I did notice 1st thing that the tires are abit smaller than the toyo's i had previously...they are the exact same size...and are listed as about the same on their sites...however the coopers are smaller.

a hair shorter and quite a bit narrower.

pics for comparison

cooper top pic and toyo bottom pic both 255/85r16's mounted on the same oem toyota

I was very pleased with the toyos over the long haul...they wear nice even considering i had a bent rim..i replaced the bad rim when i went to the coopers :)
IMG_4695.jpg
IMG_1436.jpg

Any chance to find out how well they do with snow and ice? When you do, I'd love a quick report.

Dan

sure...i know the toyos worked very well in the snow...these look as if the will also work well...i WILL report back :) snow will be falling soon enough :D

sure...i know the toyos worked very well in the snow...these look as if the will also work well...i WILL report back :) snow will be falling soon enough :D

Good. I need a good set of ATs for the 45, that will do great in the snow. I am personally a HUGE fan of the BFG A/T, but they aren't available in a 33" diameter, 16" wheel that isn't like forty billion inches wide. I have almost broken down and resigned myself to using 15" wheels on the 45 for the winter. But perhaps there's a way...

Please to be my guinea pig, kthanks?

Dan

Hard to tell from the pics, but they do look narrower...I like the black rims :D

Narrower would not bother me, as I prefer narrower tires for the sort of snow we get around here. Speaking of which, I had snow on my cars this past Sunday morning, so won't be long now :cheers:

Maxxis Bighorn in 255/85, mounted on 16x7 steel wheels.

matt_dc.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom