255/80 R17 (33 x 10.50) options: Toyo or Nitto (A/T)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 5 choices from local dealer in 255/80x17 and I have narrowed it down to the Nitto ridge grapplers (1st choice) or the less sexy Toyo A/Ts. I prefer all terrain tires for quiet ride and handling on road. I travel to remote places with heavy loads, and put my tires through the harshest conditions but do not put too many miles on them annually (no longer DD).

Wondering if someone can offer their 2 cents on experience with these 2 types of tires. I drive a mostly stock 80 series, that will be getting 4.88s soon. I know I cant really go wrong with either of these but I have concerns about the Nitto's because this tread model hasnt been around a while, and possibly too much road noise. I do not want to go with the bottom end Falkens.

Any other tires out there in this size? Not interested in widths greater than 10.50

The Toyo AT is a new tread design and is noted to be very good in snow and cold. Blocky tread design but side walls may be week. I have been very happy with the cooper ST Maxx. Very good road feel, better than expected off road and proved very durable when off road with fully loaded 80 Series LC. Tread wear is very good. I sold first set with 25k miles and they had about 2/3 tread 13-14/32's left. Bought another set of the same.

I run Ridge Grapplers on 2 of my trucks and have 45k miles on a set and not load at all.

Same carcus between the tires.

either tire is a winner.

Nittos on nationwide back order :(

st maxx in stock. I think these are too agrressive for my taste though. Reports of rough ride/Bad noise after wearing too. At 3k a year maybe not a bad thing...

I would add that the st maxx were the tires I spec’d for the 40 after reading an overwhelming number of positive reviews for this tire...

still no tires on the 40 though. Work in progress

Last edited:
I’ve been running toyo LT at2s. 60k mile warranty. I’d say I put them in good use. Never had a problem with them and most of time I’m pulling my trailer on moderate trails definitely using abusing the side walls. Toyo is the parent company of nitto. Both are well regarded.

I have ST Maxx on my 06 Tundra in 255/85r16. Loved them but lasted just shy of 40k. Also got a little (lot) loud as they wore. Replaced with the same

went with the coopers! Thanks guys! Super stoked. Will be taking them off pavement this weekend to grab a load of wood. So far they are super smooth around town and look excellent. Tread is deeeeeep on this tire
IMG-0638(1).JPG

I have the AT3s on the way. Should I be concerned about sidewall strength against rocks? I am in Socal and most of the difficult trails up here (low level Jeep rated trails) are VERY rocky.
I could get rid of them at minimal to no loss if I should be concerned about this

BTW, 255/80 is not 33x10.5 it is 33x10 - seems quite a few people say that its 10.5 but its not. If it was 10.5 it would be a no brainer at all as 10.5 doesn't even look very skinny on a wide wheel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom