24Volt Alarm System Help Needed HJ61 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.studio7designs.com
I just got back from a long day dealing with a local alarm company here in Victoria BC.

Originally they had told me that they could install an alarm system for my Diesel HJ61. Once the truck was their they totally backed out and said they couldn't do it at all, and they had not ordered a 24volt alarm system... apparently they say whatever they can to get you in the shop.

I have done a ton of research on the forums and online and I cant for the life of me find ANY real information on alarm systems for 24 volt diesel trucks.

Can anyone point me to someone who knows anything about this, and even better, any one in Victoria or Vancouver know someone who installs alarm systems for landcruisers?

Thanks for your time.

I'm not sure you will find a decent alarm system in North America that uses 24 volts.

I would run it thru a converter myself. Actually I would install an autoloc system. I just bought one for my BJ60(12v). I am half way thru the install.

Easy enough for you to do yourself. http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/Autoloc/detail.lasso?itemid=CA4000

if you already have power door locks you can get the wireless fob/transmitter with alarm. Minus the door actuators I got.

How about this.....is it possible to setup remote ignition that is timed by the glowplugs?

Thanks brownbear :)

I think that would work perfectly for me. I should have room soon to do some project type stuff on the cruiser.

If I went to a auto alarm installer and had them install a basic system powered by the solar 12v converter that is on the truck, you think that is enough for them to work with.

Can the solar converter handle an alarm system?

Also, are there any other options I have?

I heard about a kill switch, and using a steering wheel lock (those are so easily lock picked that they might buy 5 minutes max though)

Thanks for the info :)

Cheers
A

if your truck has a 12V source (mine had one for radio and some gauges), but the rest was 24V, i did relay-o-rama to activate the 24V lights, horn, locks, etc.

Alarm is an auto start with turbo timer. Ebay shizzat

I installed my alarm myself. Was also a 12 V system.
It's powered by a small dedicated powersource.
I provided an alternate switch for the hood.
In the doorswitch system I placed a relay. As soon as the domelight is powered (opening a door) the relay switches. This way I only needed one extra relay for all the entries (driver-, passenger- and rear door)
Found out that the contacts used by the system to steer doorlocks etc. where in fact relays steered by the unit. So the 24V needed for the accessoiries like moonroof, doorlock, ignition etc. could be feeded into and out of the unit directly.
Maybe the alarmsystem you are looking at is build the same.
It's easily checked by looking (multimeter) or there is a connection between the in's and out's and the powerleads of the alarmbox.
If not, it's no problem to use it.

I got a Vigil GPS system installed, they have 24V alarm since the install those on alot of industriel equipment.

http://www.vigilgps.com/index.asp?lan=en

It has a battery for something like 48-72 hours, so if they disconnect it it will continu to track. If the system alarm hasn't been removed and the thing move a few meter you get a call from the central and they send police...can't get anything better...but it is not cheap..

I even receive SMS message on my cell when i disconnect the battery.

A distributor in Vancouver
Ralph's Radio
220 East 1st
Vancouver, BC
V5T1A5
Tel : 604-873-4281

Holy sweet system setup eleblanc!

I now have quite a few options to look at.

Also, for anyone interested here is an email I got from another member in Vancouver regarding a professional "24volt alarm" install (quotes for people to search on later and find this thread)

"I went to Beam Riders in Abbotsford.

I have a 12V converter installed, so that is what powers the alarm. But... I
also have PDLs. So, they installed 12-24V relays that trigger the locks thru
the remote. Nice job."

http://www.beamriders.com/

I will prob go to beam riders in a little bit to install, I don't trust myself with electrical work, absolutely no understanding, and if all the local alarm install companies here cant do it then Ill just go to a pro in Vancouver.

Thanks for all the help!

Ok, because this is my old truck I guess I should help you out :flipoff2: The solar converter you have in there should do it. Just take out the glove box and you'll see a panel strapped to one of the air ducts. One side is switched 12V the other is non-switched 12V. I'd just do the wiring yourself man because people around here don't know 24V and will just f it up.

However, if you want my opinion, I think alarms are pretty useless. I would prefer a switch under the dash to cut off the fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom