1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

24v winch vs 8274 12 v?

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by Zekester, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Zekester

Zekester

Looking to add a winch on my BJ40, 24v...I 've been told to use an 8274 hooked up to one battery, ie 12 volt....is this advisable? should I be looking for a 24v winch? if so any comments on a model??

2. 70sguy

70sguy GOLD Star

Conecting a 12v 8274 to the 12 post of a 24v system is a massive parasite load.
    So unless you work in a battery factory, best to get a 24v winch or convert the 12v
    8274 over with a new 24v motor and cont duty solenoids.
    Not much will outpull a 24v 8274.

Sheldon

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  3. OILERSrule

OILERSrule

X2 hooking up to one batt is not a good idea. I am not sure about the availibility or price of a 24V winch but might be pricy. All other 24V seems to be. Solar converters are available up to 30amps. this might be another option. alot of people on here have used them for other 24-12 accesories so why not a winch?

4. The Dude

The Dude

I have a 8274 that was 12 volts hooked up to 24 volts. It runs like a champ. I figure go till it blows. A used motor isn't worth very much, so why replace it right away with a 24V motor.

5. Ron R

Ron R Drive a Landruiser, enjoy life

I agree. Hooking up 12V equipment to one of the batt's in a 24V system should prohibited by law ;) :D

Well, ever looked into what amount of amps a winchmotor draws just spooling? And under load? 200-400 Amps is normal.
    No way a converter is going to keep up with that!!!

6. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

pulling hard the 8274 with XP motor ( mod ) can get 500 amps !

7. skoki

skoki

Media:
    Albums:
    I've got a 24v warn 8274. Some think it's a little light for a 60 series but that didn't stop me from pulling 6 semi's, a Parks Canada garbage truck, 2 skidsteers, 1 snowmobile and dozens of cars and trucks out of the ditch in the 2 years I lived in the mountains. The fast line speed can't be beat. My winch was a factory installed option but they are not that much more expensive than a 12v.
    http://www.warn.com/truck/index.shtml
    part #375832

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  8. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

I like that phlisophy, But if you wheel lots alone and want to depend on your winch in the middle of nowhere....... I would not want it failing when I need it most.'

That said you should not get yourself in a situation alone your life depends on one sole piece of equipment with no back up........:doh:

9. bluerock

bluerock

24 volts

do the 24 volts. i once thought i was smarter than i currently am and i hooked a 12v power source to the system. IT IS NOW a frozen yard ornament. the worst part is i gave another person advice that it would be fine to hook a 12v device to a 24v system to this i apologize profusily. the 24v is only like 100 bucks more (market myself) and well should never break (NATO USMC and others spec) forgot what :beer: oh yeah just buy the right part and carry on desert,jungle, big hills.