24V Float/Maintenance Battery Charger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hoser

SILVER Star
Threads
What are you folks using for your 24V float/maintenance chargers. I'm looking at the Noco G7200. Any other recommendations?

NOCO - 7.2A Battery Charger and Maintainer - G7200

7.2 Amp UltraSafe Battery Charger and Maintainer
The G7200 is a portable and automatic battery charger. It can be used for both 12V and 24V lead-acid and lithium-ion batteries. The G7200 is designed for charging cars, boats, RVs, SUVs, diesel trucks, motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles, personal watercraft, lawn mowers, and much more. It also can be used as a battery maintainer to keep both starter and deep-cycle batteries fully charged. It also monitors battery activity for safe and efficient charging without any overcharge. The G7200 is complete with a built-in battery desulfator in order to rejuvenate under-performing batteries.
  • A 12V and 24V battery charger and maintainer.
  • Charges lead-acid and lithium-ion batteries up to 230 amp-hours.
  • Recovers deeply discharged batteries down to 2-volts.
  • Spark-proof technology and reverse polarity protection.
  • Built-in battery desulfator to recover worn-out batteries.
  • Safely monitors battery actively with zero overcharge.
  • Suitable for start-stop and CANbus vehicle systems.
  • Advanced diagnostics indication for damaged batteries.
  • Progressive repair mode for heavily sulfated 12V batteries.
  • Constant power supply for changing a car battery or powering 12V devices.
noco-genius-g7200-interface-charging-modes.jpg

Buy this Vann-Guard 70-100M equalizer dirt cheap and never worry about your batteries again. I offered 165$ and got it. A little more than your charger but worth every penny. Just be sure to have two batteries of same chemestry and capacity. You can continuous draw 100amp 12v from one battery without hurting it and you can draw much more amps once now and again.
If you just need a maintenance charger for prolonged periodes you don't use your cruiser, then I am sorry but there I don't have any good suggestion. I just use a crappy 24v 10amp charger and let my equalizer do its job and it does it just fine :)
Sorry if this ain't readable but my spell check fell out :/

I must have an older version on that one (Noco 7200 but no AGM/Lithium lights, they are used for other things) and have been using it on my BJ42 while in winter storage for a couple/three years now. Before that I was disconnecting the two batteries and using an individual charger on each.

The batteries in the BJ42 are wet cell and quite old. Surprised they are still going. That said, they have a slight imbalance through the summer when on the alternator. I was concerned that imbalance (0.5v) would increase with time and through the winter with the Noco in 24V charge mode. They have not, and in fact have come closer together in charge when checked individually. I leave it on "cold" in fall, through to spring even though it does not get that cold here.

Been happy with it.

hth's
gb

@Lasse Yes, I'm looking at a maintenance charger but I have looked at those battery equalizers to run my 2M radio and in-dash.

@Greg_B Thanks for the feedback. I figure it's a versatile charger for both 12 & 24v set-ups... and one I could use when those Lithium Ion batteries become affordable.

If you look at what retail are for one of those equalizers you will see that this are a bargain. What I like about mine are that it take care of everything electricity wise. There are no need for any other fancy converter, 12v trailer light logic converter or any fancy or expensive 24v float charger. My 24v charger are just as dumb as a 12v charger, it pumps out charge and dosen't care which battery that get what charge. For all it cares one battery gets charged at 12.4v and the other 16.4v if there are an unbalance. But there my equalizer jumps in and make sure both batteries are charged equally at the same voltage and amps. It is kind of an all in one box that so that you doesn't need an x number of other expensive "boxes".
And yes, my charger has to be set at float/maintenance charge, my equalizer aren't that smart.

Been down the road with lots of converters and many failing, never had memory power for my head unit and so on. Now I jusy tap off the 12v battery and even if I demand more than 100amps 12v thats fine as long as I doesn't demand 100amp continuous. As soon as my ex. 150amp load are over the equalizer goes in too "healing mode" and equalize the batteries back to balanced and healthy. But if a smart 24v charger are what you want then go for it, but I would recommend a good equalizer of adequate size.

Just read a bit further into the Vann-Guard equalizers and I might give it a go.

Where did you mount the unit?

Specs say operating temperature:
-40°C to +75°C (-40°F to 167°F)

Engine compartment seems a bit hot but that is where I have space. Under the front seats isn't possible as I have suspension seats. Interior space is at a premium. Perhaps it can go into one of the rear quarter panels.

Last edited:
You should have as short wires as reasonable from the equalizer too your batteries. In my 61 I used the free space left over after I removed my stock airfilter box. The 100amp unit are quit largebut you could go for a smaller model if you don't frequent demand high 12v loads. Just don't buy those small black chinese boxes promising you everything a good equalizer stands for :p
I bought the 100amp unit as that were the cheapest deal around, a 30-50amp unit would have been more than enough really for my use. I used 0 gauge wire as that was what I had laying around and thats what the 100amp unit are build for.
Haven't used mine all thst much as my cruise now are temporarily dead, but mine didn't suffer from beeing frozen nor overheating. So far I haven't got to really strain it with high loads either. Most my accessories are 24v.

Last edited:
I bought this genius unit about a week ago, and so far I'm happy.
Fit's my purpose of maintaining my 24V battery setup, in an 8 step cycle.
Plus from what I've red, the repair mode for a single battery should be quit good as well. Haven't tested that mode yet though

I use the Noco Gen 2 dual bank charger. Works well. its supposed to be able to mount inside the engine compartment. Haven't mounted it yet, but since I use the military type battery terminals, its a cinch for me to simply attach the charger and leave it running when the truck is not in use.

Bump!

I bought the G7200 with the purpose of leaving it in my BJ74 to keep the batteries charged as the truck sits the majority of the time.

Question 1: are people still having good luck with these units?
Question 2: is the wiring as simple as connecting the positive of battery 1 and negative of battery 2? The manual references charging a 24V battery in our case we have 2 12v batteries creating a 24v system.
Question 3: any reason I couldn't wire this into my fuse panel instead of directly to the battery? I ran a 4# ground and power back to the cargo area which feeds a SafetyHub 150. I would like to permanently mount it back there. Looks like the 24v draw is only 3.6amps.

Thanks in advance for any help!

https://noco-thenococompany.netdna-...se-car-battery-charger-sell-sheet-g7200_3.pdf

1) so far so good
2) that's how I've been doing it.
3) no idea

I have one of the Noco Gen2 waterproof chargers under the hood of my HDJ81, wish they made a 24V version.

Hi Norm! Thanks for the quick reply.

Regarding question #3, according to my basic electrical knowledge I don't see how hooking it up to the battery would be any different than hooking it to the fuse panel. Hopefully someone smarter than me knows the answer!

Coming out of the NOCO charger is a ~16 gauge wire with a 10 amp fuse close to the battery connections. I am thinking I can either connect this directly to the input on the Bluesea 150 (at the same location I will connect the 4# power and ground) like this:

IMG_2669.JPG

Or I can run it through one of the fused buses with a 10amp fuse, like this:

IMG_2670.JPG

I've two G7200's now: One for the BJ42 and one for the BJ74. All good so far. Mine are not installed full time. I simply hook up to the positive highside and negative lowside. Not sure about hooking it up the way you intend: For the internals of the smart charger to work, does it need to be hooked up right to the batteries? I don't know the answer to that question but perhaps an email to the manufacture with diagram of the batteries and your intended hookup might get an answer.

hth's
gb

Last edited:
I already admitted to reading the manual. Now you want me to email tech support?! :)

Sent them a message, hopefully I get a response in the next day or so.

@titanpat57 Paging Pat! Didn't you hook up your battery and charger in your trailer system similar to this? I seem to remember chatting with you about that when we first met and you gave me the trailer tour.

I already admitted to reading the manual. Now you want me to email tech support?! :)

Sent them a message, hopefully I get a response in the next day or so.

@titanpat57 Paging Pat! Didn't you hook up your battery and charger in your trailer system similar to this? I seem to remember chatting with you about that when we first met and you gave me the trailer tour.

I use a Iota 45 and two 12v batteries just switched out two 6v were done)...I also use solar to charge.

Got a response from NOCO. Sounds like it needs to be connected directly across the battery terminals.

JUL 07, 2017 | 08:26PM EDT
Dan Brown replied:

Hello Ben,

Thank you for contacting NOCO support. For best performance you should connect the charger directly to the batteries. The charger creates a “circuit” between the connected terminals and reads/charges whatever is between the negative and positive charger leads. Connecting to the battery by connecting to other extensions may interfere with how the charger detects the batteries and provides the charge. The G7200 can safely charge two 12V batteries in series using the 24V charge mode.

Sincerely,

Dan Brown | Support Agent
The NOCO Company

Thanks for posting their response. Maybe a techy will read and post up the "why" of it at at some point in the future.

"may interfere", so not a blanket "will". Be good to understand the "why" as it may be possible to make it work the way you want. But the manufacturer will not stand by it that way, which is understandable.

gb

Got a response from NOCO. Sounds like it needs to be connected directly across the battery terminals.

JUL 07, 2017 | 08:26PM EDT
Dan Brown replied:

Hello Ben,

Thank you for contacting NOCO support. For best performance you should connect the charger directly to the batteries. The charger creates a “circuit” between the connected terminals and reads/charges whatever is between the negative and positive charger leads. Connecting to the battery by connecting to other extensions may interfere with how the charger detects the batteries and provides the charge. The G7200 can safely charge two 12V batteries in series using the 24V charge mode.

Sincerely,

Dan Brown | Support Agent
The NOCO Company

I wonder if there is a problem "cooking" the high side battery when hooked up in series like the factory alternator can do? As the charging system doesn't know which battery needs what voltage therefore it just sends 24v to both.

Was not my experience. Would be good to hear from others who leave hooked up in 24v mode and check each battery on occasion.

hth's
gb

Was not my experience. Would be good to hear from others who leave hooked up in 24v mode and check each battery on occasion.

hth's
gb
Hey, I just bought the G7200 at CT and not yet home with it to test hook up in 24 volt mode but I don't think the cable clamps will reach my high side positive and low side negative battery posts. Looks like they will be 1 foot too short. How do other get around this problem? I too want to leave it hooked up for extended time as I don't drive my HJ60 much.

Thanks Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom