24 volts glow plug controller (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need some advise with those controller.

I don't have any controller on my BJ40. I want to build one with a little 8 pins microcontroller of microchip(I have the programmer with mplab ide and ccs compiler), a LM317 for 5 volts regulation, an tl081 (amplifier) to driver my 24 volts 40 amp relay.

First of all.. I have all part for 10$ when you seach a little bit on internet. It's really cheap when you think that it's cost 150$ for a normal glow plug system.

Second, I need to know how mutch current that my 24 volts glow plug system take. It's not the superglow system with 8 volts glow plug.. but fully 24 volts with a big relay near the helper seat.

After that, your glow plug system keep the glow plug how long ?? With my swicth it's about 15 second before I turn the key.. and I push the swicth 3 second each time I see some with smoke. I need to know how long I can keep it on ?

I want to do something like, 15 second before it's start... and after 5 second and wait 5 second.. for about 2 minutes. Your controller seem to do something like this ?

If somebody else do something like what I try to do and have some trouble before make it work good send me a pm with the trouble you had.

Nobody know How long the glow plug system is on or off ?? or how mutch current it's take to run the glow plug system ?

For and other part of the problem. This is my little program that will work good enough for a PIC10F222AT --- the AT is for -40 to +125 degree Celcius---. As you will see it's start at 15 second for heating and stop 10 seconds cooling.. after that it's on 5 second and off 5 secondes + 1 second every cycle...

do you think it's enough ? or maybe I need to put more time for heating all the system ??

/***********************************************
MAIN.C
Francis Gravel
20/10/2010

This little program is for a glowplug système.
It's keep a relay on and off for 90 seconds
and turn in sleep mode after. During this time,
a LED is on and off during the glow system is on
or off

OUTPUT : PIN B2 for LED AND B3 for RELAY
***********************************************/

#include "C:\Users\Gravel\Documents\glowplug\main.h"
#include <stdio.h>

#define LED PIN_B2 //CHANGE PIN_XX TO YOUR LED PIN NUMBER, EX: PIN_A5
#define RELAY PIN_B3 // PIN THAT ACTIVATE THE RELAY
void main()
{
int i;

setup_adc_ports(NO_ANALOGS);
setup_adc(ADC_CLOCK_DIV_4);
setup_timer_0(RTCC_INTERNAL|RTCC_DIV_256);

//Example blinking LED program

output_high(LED);
output_high(RELAY);
delay_ms(15000); // ON FOR 15 SECOND
output_low(LED);
output_low(RELAY); // OFF FOR 10 SECOND
delay_ms(10000);

for (i=0; i<6; i++)
{
output_high(LED);
output_high(RELAY);
delay_ms(5000); // ON FOR 5 SECOND
output_low(LED);
output_low(RELAY); // OFF FOR 5 SECOND + 1 SECOND EACH CYCLE
delay_ms(5000+(i * 1000));
}
sleep();

}

The circuit schematic will follow in 1 or 2 days.. with all componant that I will need to build this little controller.

wilson switch

just read a post on the wilson switch which seems to be a how to bypass the controller mod (search wilson sw)

just curious why use a controller at all and if you want to have a preset limit why not use a time delay relay, switch, and light?

not saying I know better, just asking-- I have not read up on the system yet and am just delving into the specifics myself doing a 1hdt into my fj40

it is referenced to in the first reply in my post on "1hd-t into an fj40 wiring tasks" post

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/426288-1hd-t-wiring-tasks-into-40-a.html

hope that helps a little--I was thinking time delay and a press and release button but I might just keep it manual and hold the button

for the wire size you should be able to work off the oem fuse rating
Wire GaugeRecommended
Maximum Fuse Size 00 awg400 amps 0 awg325 amps 1 awg250 amps 2 awg200 amps 4 awg125 amps 6 awg80 amps 8 awg50 amps 10 awg30 amps 12 awg20 amps 14 awg15 amps 16 awg7.5 amps These are the recommended maximum fuse ratings for the corresponding wire size. Using a smaller fuse than what's recommended here will be perfectly safe.

heres the link for the table probably more out there to compare with

FUSES

can you fill me in on the controller--any reason to prefer it or this is just something you want to do

just notice the table lost it's formatting in the post so just go to the link to see an easier version

I do it because I don't want to stay in the truck at -30 celcius this winter in Quebec.

The relay will stay on enough long to keep it run for a good amount of time and not burn all my glow plug. ... and during this time I will be outside trying to remove snow on truck hardtop. I don't have money to buy a complet glow plug relay system..

My truck already have a swicth to do it by hand but if I want to add a automatic starter system in near futur.. I need something that will turn on and off my glow plug before it's start and keep it running with a certain cycle to not burn my glow plug.. but keep it warm for a minute or two.

The Wilson switch is good when you live in warm place.. or good winter temperature like alberta. Or when you don't have choice.

I think it sonds like a really good idea! I have a Wilson on my HJ45 with a 2H, but have forgotten to switch it of a number of times... I know, stupid! But the only thing that happened was that I drained the batteries and had to charge the before I could start.
So I welcome any solutions that take my forgetfulness out of the system!

For my 1KZ-T conversion in the 6X6 Volvo I used a 12v controller made for Mercedes, the glow time is regulated by ambient temp and the afterglow likewise... But 12v unfortunately...

For my 1KZ-T conversion in the 6X6 Volvo I used a 12v controller made for Mercedes, the glow time is regulated by ambient temp and the afterglow likewise... But 12v unfortunately...

12v for the controller but I have a 24 - 12 volts regulator. easy to put a 12 volts relay that switch on and off the 24 volts glow plug ;)

Never think about that before... but maybe a easy trick to do. How mutch and what the model of your mercedes controller ?

Im not sure it would work though, but it was from a Mercedes Vito, can't remember the exact parts number, but will look it up.
It was approx. 150 USD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom