24 volt Puma Air Compressors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have contacted Puma in the US about getting some PD1006 air compressors in 24 volt made up. As you may know the 12 volt PD1006 produces 3.0 cfm at 40 psi and 3.4 cfm at 90psi, has a 1 hp motor and 1.5 US gallon tank. It can drive an impact gun - no problem. It beats all the other - ARB, Viair and the like. The 12 volt sells for about $250 in the US, but I will expect the 24 volt be be more due to the small production run. Delivery would be 3-4 months

I am interested in a head count -who would be interested in a 24 volt Puma air compressor, if I was to order a batch of them?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-outdoor-gear/166969-puma-12v-compressor.html

Here is a picture of the 12 volt one

The 12 volt weighs 34 lbs, comes with pressure switch, gauges and pumps to 135 psi.
puma_1.jpg

Correction -it produces 3.4 cfm at 40 psi and 3.0 cfm at 90 psi..

Who is interested?

Couldn't you just connect as 12V pump to one battery, or would that bugger up a 24V system?

Who's is the one pictured? Mine did not come with any jumper leads, or is that a home fab'd conenction.

Bad idea :rolleyes: I guess it depends if you have a true 24V system. If it's 24V you will kill your low side battery, if you have a 24V starting only system I would think you'd be OK (but don't quote me on that)

I am interested.

gb

Last edited:
I know Robert is looking (flycruiser) and possibly Sopel might too at that point. probably should post in the diesel section unless you are planning on keeping it local only.
Steve - business interests?

the 81s are 12V, the starter is 24V, only for the starting they do a weird combining thing and the rest of the system remains 12V. So you don't have to worry and can hook up all the shiny LED bling bling lights, coffee makers, blenders anmirror balls you want till the batteries die.

How about a pneumatic blender, you already have the compressor. They used to be all the rage on the Rubicon a hundred years ago... when I used to wheel.

the 81s are 12V, the starter is 24V, only for the starting they do a weird combining thing and the rest of the system remains 12V. So you don't have to worry and can hook up all the shiny LED bling bling lights, coffee makers, blenders anmirror balls you want till the batteries die.

Please explain how they do this?. They must have a high capacity solonoid relay that takes series 2 X 12 volt to start the engine and then it defaults back a parrallel 12 volt? During series 2 X 12 volt start-up how do they protect the 12 volt system? Any HDJ81 electical genius out there ?

Hi Glenn,

I am intrested in the 12 volt version. If it is going to be worthwile to get an order together for the 24 volts, maybe you can put in some 12 volt units?

Ronald.

Hey Glenn, you got through to Puma finally, cool. If it's just a motor and solinoid change maybe they would be willing to sell the parts i would need to make mine 24V? Would you be able to check into that for me?

Thanks Glenn,

Rob.

Or maybe do a deal with Ronald, he's looking for a 12V model. I doubt Rob has many hours on his Puma...

Hi rob,
If it makes your decision any easier to get a 24 volts puma, i am sure we can work out something for your "old" 12 volt, if you're willing to sell. If so bring it with you to cruiser day and we talk further. You're coming right?
Ronald

My coffee maker is propane, so no worries there, but a blender ain't a bad idea!

Funny enough, when we went camping the other weekend with Makenna we used a little blender (hooked up to my 400 watt inverter) to make her food :D

The pic of that PUMA is someone here on MUD's... they didn't come with anything at all. I bought my hoses couplings etc from KMS tools. I can also speak to the PUMA, it's great. Glenn suggested it to me and I'm glad I paid attention.

The HDJ81 does have a funky black box solenoid thing that allows the batteries to run in series for the starter. I won't claim to even have the foggiest how it works... though it's likely in the 3,000 page Toyo 80 series factory wiring diagrams!:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom