24 volt help please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Times like this I wish I had just kept my old 12 volt BJ70! So here is the nightmare with the BJ42. I had a branch with a nasty disposition tare out my speedo cable. I wen't to replace it and wound up with an electrical nightmare. While I had the dash out I replaced a few burnt out 24 volt bulbs, cleaned up the contacts and when I got it all back together, no power to the starter and the glow light seemed weak. The wisps of smoke coming from the instrument panel indicated either the Hardy boys were camping in the dash or something was burning. I pulled it all out and cracked open the instrument cluster to find the oil pressure gauge was cooked. I replaced it with a spare and then started blowing the 15 amp fuses in the box by the battery. I swapped out the whole cluster for another on I had and again had the Hardy boys show up. I'm at a loss and it's either stiff drink time of I need to reach out and as for help. I took the EDIC motor out long ago and have a manual shut off so I'm not sure why my oil pressure gauge would melt down as it doesn't work. I have a mechanical pressure gauge.

Thanks in advance

Dave

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

Nothing scarier then a problem that fixes it self. I cleaned everything again and taaa daaaa it works. Nearest I can figure is I got some grease on the back of the round multi plug that goes on the back of the instrument cluster. Maybe the circuit was jumping pins? who knows. The used speedo cable I put in is either seized or the spare speedo is stuck:mad:.A frustrating day and still don't know how fast I'm going. Not that I'm too worried about a speed trap in a BJ42.

So this $##@%! problem had reared it ugly head again. I got my new speedometer cable in the mail, installed it and once again have not power to the ignition system. I've swapped out all three instrument clusters and no bueno. Something to do with the instrument cluster not talking to the ignition circuit. There are two plugs, the only go on once way ...... I'm done for tonight before sorting gets broken. Stiff drink time. I'm hoping someone has a suggestion.

Thanks

I wish I could help, but that all sucks. The only thing I can suggest, which you've probably already done, is to clean and tighten all the grounds.

So when I use a test light I have no power to the ignition pin on the bottom of the round plug but power to one three up. The bottom of the three pin plug makes clicking sounds under the dash when I test it and activates the timer when the key is in the on position. I've done the same checks on the BJ40 project I have and I get power to the lower pin on the round plug and none of the shenanigans with the three plug pin. I'm wondering if this is a stuck relay but the head lights coming on is weird to say the least. I'll try and post a video.

I wish I could help, but that all sucks. The only thing I can suggest, which you've probably already done, is to clean and tighten all the grounds.
Yeah. working through those but this is a weird one for sure.

Soooooooo the relay that clicks when I test the single horizontal prong on the three prong plug is the dimmer relay ..... This keeps getting better. All the wiring looks very good, stock and unmolested.

IMG_1216.JPG

Well took the column apart and I had no power to the ignition. After much tracing I found the problem. I broken lead off the battery that was hanging together just enough to get power to the starting circuit. Move it just a little and the connection was lost. BUT IT'S FIXED and I know how fast I'm not going. Actually with the turbo and 5 speed it will pull highway speed without too much of the right foot. It never ceases to amaze me how a 15 minute job can turn into a whole day nightmare sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom