24-12v transformer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i hooked up a 24 -12v transformer and stereo yesterday. when i connected the positive to the battery there was a spark, suggesting a draw. no accessories where on so there would be no draw.
is this just the transformer energizing ? and should i install a heavy-duty switch, to power down transformer when not in use, as to prevent battery drain? just wondering how other guys have done this.
no stereo for three years, already blew one set of speakers...

so i hooked up a 24 -12v transformer and stereo yesterday. when i connected the positive to the battery there was a spark, suggesting a draw. no accessories where on so there would be no draw.
is this just the transformer energizing ? and should i install a heavy-duty switch, to power down transformer when not in use, as to prevent battery drain? just wondering how other guys have done this.
no stereo for three years, already blew one set of speakers...

Oddly while checking some wires today, the same happened to me, a spark when reconnecting the converter. But in my case the stereo and alarm system are connected directly the converter. Maybe they do energized or something.

My 24V-12V Solar Converter does the same thing every time I reconnect it. Hasn't caused any problems in the 3 years I've run it.

Howdy. I live near Montreal, and I shop in New York State. Where would I obtain a decent 24v-12v converter?

I took a volt meter to the 2-prong outlet under the glovebox: 25 volts. That would explain why my 12-volt inverter (12V-110AC) was not happy, and how I blew the fuse for the truck dome light (that is the fuse for the outlet). I figured that outlet was 12 volts because the light from Toyota says "12 volts only"... and it works.

If it's a switching converter, it will draw. Not a lot, maybe 0.1 A or so but there will be some.
So if it's not your DD and not running for two or three weeks at a time, make sure to disconnect the converter to avoid draining you batts during stand still.
If you drive it regularly, no worries.

My 24V-12V Solar Converter does the same thing every time I reconnect it. Hasn't caused any problems in the 3 years I've run it.

BTW what is your truck?

Hi again:

My truck is the one described in the sig. below my posts. I was looking at 12, 24, 30 amps, wondering what I need. I charge my cell phone (using a 110-volt charger) and run my laptop (again on AC, using an inverter).

That circuit is on a 7.5-amp fuse, which ... is this right... would become 15 amps at 12 volts?

I will got check the Web site link you just put up. Thanks!

I looked at Hutton's selection. Of course their Canadian prices are higher than the US prices, despite dollars near par. I poked around and found 24 volt to 12 volt DC/DC converters (fully regulated) from 100 to 700 Watts non-isolated and isolated.. Their 30-amp model for $116 US looks like all I need, and I need 2, maybe 3 (might be a 3rd LC in the family soon), so will order when I know how many we need.

I think Hutton wants over $200 for something similar. I have a place in Upstate New York, so I order to that address. If you have to deal with Customs, maybe the higher Canadian price at Hutton amounts to the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom