23x1.5 ends to fit Trail Gear relay rod? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought the Trail Gear tie rod and relay rod. They both utilize M23x1.5 threads. I already had the ProForged TREs. The ProForged ends for the tie rod were correct. However, it appears the ProForged relay rod ends are 21mm instead of 23mm. Who makes the relay ends in an M23 thread? Everything I see is 21mm (555 and ProForged). I emailed TG about the issue and, misunderstanding, they told me the rods are M23x1.5.

Another response from Trail Gear and they said they don't have the end that ties in to the damper, they use a u-bolt application for that.

Last edited:
The OEM relay rod threads are 21mm, so you're not going to find 23mm ends. I would send that relay rod back and get one from Budbuilt. Bud makes HD replacement steering linkage that uses OEM ends.

The OEM relay rod threads are 21mm, so you're not going to find 23mm ends. I would send that relay rod back and get one from Budbuilt. Bud makes HD replacement steering linkage that uses OEM ends.

Thanks!

Well, not really. Where can I get 21mm jam nuts? No results from the usual sources. McMaster doesn't even carry them.

Well, not really. Where can I get 21mm jam nuts? No results from the usual sources. McMaster doesn't even carry them.

Did you contact BudBilt?

All of Bud's links come with jamb nuts. I'm sure if you asked him nicely he'd send you a set.
Strange because they list the relay/drag as: J80 Drag Link, M21RHT/M21LHT with the note:

• On pickups and 4Runners, you must upgrade to the beefier M23x1.25 thread FJ-80 rod ends on all versions - Left and Right hand.

Marlin sells 23mm ends

Marlin sells 23mm ends

and 23mm jam nuts

He's not looking for tie rod 23mm ends and nuts, he needs 23mm drag/relay rod ends. Marlin uses standard (555) 21mm for that and I don't see 21mm jam nuts.

All out of stock too.

Strange because they list the relay/drag as: J80 Drag Link, M21RHT/M21LHT with the note:

• On pickups and 4Runners, you must upgrade to the beefier M23x1.25 thread FJ-80 rod ends on all versions - Left and Right hand.
Fwiw, I've been running a Budbuilt tie rod and drag link on both my 91 and 97 for years now. They both use the correct OEM ends for the application. No muss, no fuss. Why anyone would cobble parts together that don't quite fit is beyond me, but it's your truck.

Fwiw, I've been running a Budbuilt tie rod and drag link on both my 91 and 97 for years now. They both use the correct OEM ends for the application. No muss, no fuss. Why anyone would cobble parts together that don't quite fit is beyond me, but it's your truck.
Oh I don't doubt that! I'm just pointing out some weird discrepancy in their listing is all.

I think the kit from Cruiserteq.com has the 21 and 23 tie rod ends. I confirmed it via an old email between Cruiserteq and myself.

Cruiser TEQ 555 TRE

I would reach out to them verify thread pitch though.

Slee sells heavy duty steering links as well. Pretty simple stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom