235x85 R16 or 245x75R16 tires on 2.5" lift; opinions on size, brand, comfort, pics? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I have the original 15x5.5 wheels on my fj, and have watched the available tall skinny tires for this rim size slowly evaporate. I know 31x10.5 is an option, but really want a tall skinny for my rig as it now has a 2.5" lift. So, after searching exhaustively for a tall skinny "C" load rated all terrain tire (which doesn't exist), and spending many hours reading through Mud posts and opinions, I've thrown up my hands and decided the 235x85R16 is probably the way I'll go. I toyed with the 245x75R16, but opinions seem to be that it would be a bit small for a 40 with a lift.

I'm a little reticent about getting an "E" load rated tire, so if I'm going this route, what is the consensus out there? For an "E" rated tire, do some brands offer a more comfortable ride (I realize comfort and fj40 are generally mutually exclusive), springs aside.

I plan to drive quite a bit on roads, but also enjoy some mild offroading.

Anyway, would love any thoughts out there. and pictures of 40's with a 2.5 inch lift and 235x85R16 and 245x75R16 tires would be much appreciated!

Thanks fellow mudders!

See post #5

Bridgestone Desert Duelers...bought by the PO, worked over by me for 11 years now.;)

235x85x16. 2.5” lift.

That is whatyou requested.

?????

You should be able to fit 33 X 10.5 R15 with that lift. I run 33 X 10.5 BFG KM3 Load rating C tires on my OE steel wheels with hub caps with my 4" lift and have gobs of room. CCOT has pics of 2.5" lifted rigs with 33X10.5's I believe with their 'designer' lift. Helps with the highway RPM's as well as the larger tire counter acts the stumpy gearing (rubber overdrive). You may have to find a smaller tire shop to install the tires on the skinny wheels though as the 5.5" wide wheels are technically to skinny for a 10.5" tire. I'm running ~28 PSI or so to flatten out my contact patch a bit, but the tires and my Bilstein shocks makes it ride really nice and stable. I have been really happy with performance and looks of the 33's on my stock steel rims with hub caps.

You should be able to fit 33 X 10.5 R15 with that lift. I run 33 X 10.5 BFG KM3 Load rating C tires on my OE steel wheels with hub caps with my 4" lift and have gobs of room. CCOT has pics of 2.5" lifted rigs with 33X10.5's I believe with their 'designer' lift. Helps with the highway RPM's as well as the larger tire counter acts the stumpy gearing (rubber overdrive). You may have to find a smaller tire shop to install the tires on the skinny wheels though as the 5.5" wide wheels are technically to skinny for a 10.5" tire. I'm running ~28 PSI or so to flatten out my contact patch a bit, but the tires and my Bilstein shocks makes it ride really nice and stable. I have been really happy with performance and looks of the 33's on my stock steel rims with hub caps.

Im going to go out on a limb here and guess his rig is an ‘81, with the 3:70 gears.

That’s a really nice combo with the 16s.

I know it’s not the same rig, but similar in size and lift and tire size.

88 BJ74 and I run 255/85r16. Just a little taller, more like a true 33” tire which should fit great with your 2.5” lift. GiveS you some rubber overdrive with just a 4 speed, I think they work great with my 5 speed.
I picked Yokohama MT G003, and almost 5,000 miles I’m impressed. Great on road, off road, sand, snow and mud. Ice the are ok, but that’s any mud tire. Lots of people are starting to run these on mud with great reviews.

Personally, on a 2.5” lift, I think the 255s are the way to go.

Here’s the Yokohama 255/85r16 next to an older bfg 235/85r16. BFGs run way small. In reality there should only be an 1” or so difference in size.
55201A9B-57F4-47E6-86A9-12FCD4D0D22F.jpeg

Not a 40, but a new “40” i suppose. :cool:

495CE4EF-29AB-456A-BAB5-AF2B5F154046.jpeg

DDF92080-D011-4EEE-8057-A4F39AFD4203.jpeg

That combo looks really nice and symmetrical, not too small, not too big.

These 255/85-16 Yokos are 2” taller (32.5” on the truck)

This truck is running a 2” lift. To me it’s the perfect tire.

View attachment 2209223
What is the overall height of the roof with 255 85r16? I would rather run the 255s vs the 235s but I want to make sure I will still fit in the garage. Also curious how the handling compares between the two sizes, I am currently without Power steering and probably will be for some time.
I currently have 33x9.5x15 bfgs with OME lift of some sort.
thanks for any advice, and I have read your reviews on these Yokohamas and am thankful to you for the recommendation.

So just to be sure... Dang it's been a while since this geezer shopped for tires. Always ran 33x9.50x15s, but I gotta say that about 8 years ago I ordered a set from Les Schwabb (a big NW tire chain) and they told me there were only 60 of them left in the system.... So I ordered 8 instead. Still kicking myself for later mounting the extra set on a 60 that I sold. So now to get a comparable tire it's a new 16" rim. Ain't cheap!, but the clips are drawing me in along with the relatively inexpensive factory style caps. I have gone through two sets of factory 16" split rims, one set I put clips on and ran the caps like the FJ 45 UK style in the front of the haynes manual. I have also taken chev 16s and reamed out the center using the vehicle as the lathe. (but no caps) and didn't look the same. If I bite that big ol bullet, could they mount the yokos and ship them that way?

rav at wheel.JPG

Yer killin' me.....

My '78 has a 2.5" lift and I just went through all the debate on this topic... Today I put 235/85r16s on....

Before (BFG A/T 33x10.5r15 on OE 15x5" steelies):

After (General Grabber A/T 235/85r16 mounted on new City Racer 16x5" steelies):

Photos of other 235/85r16 rigs, and specs, led me to believe these would have a smaller outer diameter from the 33x10.5r15 BFGs. But they are almost exactly the same size.

Both measured almost exactly 36" to bottom of fender front and back (these pics were taken with the BFGs):

Width is almost identical as well:

While I didn't succeed in reducing my gearing with a slightly smaller outer diameter, I'm happy with a) the slightly darker gray of the City Racer wheels, because it's more OE, b) the winter/snow rating, c) knowing I'm not on 17-year-old tires, and d) knowing I can find new tires that fit much easier due to the 16" rims.

If anyone in Utah wants my old tires (5x 17 year-old BFG A/T 33x10.5r15s with ~10k miles on them), contact me. I've had them dis-mounted and they are now being stored at a local (Salt Lake City) shop. Happy for someone who wants to use them to just have them; you just have to pick them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom