235/85r16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tojezakon.com
I know everyone wants to go bigger and wider, but most of LC105 are using this tyres. BF Goodrich allterrain in this size has load index of 120 and is S rated. The tyre is just slightly taller than 275/70R16. This tyre size is interesting as I carry only 1 spare and it's easy to buy spare tyres in this dimension in Africa where LC105 is very common. For this size new rims are also needed, as the maximum rim width is 7".
This tyre also has the same diameter as 7.5R16 which is THE tyre of Africa - abused on all old Toyotas and Defenders - so getting a spare is even easier.

Anyone using such tyres on a LC100 or LC105?

Regards

Samo

What type of floatation do you get in the sand with those skinny tires? I wouldn't think they would do well in soft sand at all. Hardpack stuff they would be great.

Regarding split rims, one of the Mud vendors is selling the narrower split rims I think. Shipping would kill you though, and I'm sure you can find them somewhere closer and save on shipping.

I don't want wider, just taller. I feel the 285's I have are the perfect width for a vehicle this heavy. I wouldn't mind a tire that was taller though.

LC105 is about 100kg lighter then LC100 - that's no big deal. Usally the cars are packed with tourists with their luggage on the roof. But it's true - they don't do a lot of dune driving.
For driving in the dunes it's more important to have large diameter of tyres. But as these tyres have almost the same dyameter as 275/70R16, they should perform worse in the sand. I might just stick to 275/70R16 and use 235/85R16 in case of emergency. I was able to buy a 275/70R16 in Morocco, but if I would be driving anything bigger, I would have to carry two spares.

Regards

Samo

Well if your not doing much dune driving then skinny should be fine. And people have certainly crossed the dunes with narrow tires before. Driver skill, yank straps, and sand ladders carry the day. Too much reading of expedition books and such on this end. I've never been stuck in the sand more than a couple miles from a major interstate hwy:D

I think the 275-285 width is a nice compromise for overall performance on these heavy vehicles, but terrain can certainly play a huge part in tire selection. I also see some people running the 255 85 r16 tires, but usually not on the heavier vehicles. Not sure of the availability of that size in other parts of the world?

Perhaps you could carry one mounted and one unmounted spare to save a little weight.

So did you ship your truck to Morocco?

255/85R16 is hard to get as All Terrain tyre - not produced by BF Goodrich (only M/T). But it's an interresting tyre - used on many Defenders. The tyre for the desert has to be tall and strong. Width is not so very imortant - you just air them down a little bit more ;). Perhaps the most interesting tyre is Michelin XZL which are available in following dimensions: 7.5R16, 8.25R16, 9R16, 255/100R16,...
The tyre is heavy and extremely durable. The only drawback is the low speed index (you can only dream about Q :( ).

Regards

Samo

A 275/85r16 (as I've mentioned in a few other posts) would be the perfect size tire for me, but alas no one makes such a size. A 255/85r16 is a NICE size tire albeit a touch on the shorter side of my liking. Our rims in N.A. however are all 8" wide and a 255 width in my opinion bulges the sidwall out too far.

But in Europe I can get 6.5" steel rims from LC105. And the nice tyre in 235/85R16 is the famous Michelin XZL (found here for a nice price):
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/reifenbestellen.pl?typ=D40367&dsco=0
I would use this tyres only for trips into Sahara, but even then I have to drive at least 2000 km on tarmac - and these tyres are not what you want for that.

Regards
Samo

I also live in the desert and thus the tall & skinny tires are best. Though I do have some pavement driving to get off-road, it doesn't take too much. Michelin XZLs are nearly impossible to obtain here, and like tires are too small (Like Cooper's Courser Traction).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom