$2300 Quote from Maaco....what do you guys think?

Francis K

SILVER Star
OK.

Now you need to post the name, address, phone number, and exact person you negotiated with on this paint job.

Define exactly what you did to keep costs down, then ask the owner for another discount because he's going to get a line of Land Cruisers in front of his door...........

Didn't negotiate anything, pulled up the truck the guy listed what needed to be done for the paint to look nice and then I told him some extra things I wanted done like some holes filled, rust cut out and treated....things like that. I took off the stock rack (they did the ribs on their own), took the lights and grill off, the ARB front off and my rear bumper was already off because I'm putting an NWTI one on there and that was it. They actually did extra prep on their own, the wipers, door handles, mirrors, rack ribs as mentioned.....they really went above and beyond for $2100. How about this, when I dropped the truck off I asked the guy who did the quote with me how much people usually tip the guys doing the work and he said "don't worry about that these guys get paid well", he was actually pretty adamant that I didn't need to tip.

To be honest with you I would have been happy with a lot less but it looks great, the only thing that looked crappy was where the flares are going but I knew that going in because they were going to be covered up anyway. It's not perfect by any means but it's a hell of a lot more than "trail paint" that's for sure.

There are a bunch of Maaco's in the area and they all have garbage reviews but this one had good reviews, it's just a good shop I guess.

EDIT: Also removed all the decals, I was changing them out anyway

Last edited:
Didn't negotiate anything, pulled up the truck the guy listed what needed to be done for the paint to look nice and then I told him some extra things I wanted done like some holes filled, rust cut out and treated....things like that. I took off the stock rack (they did the ribs on their own), took the lights and grill off, the ARB front off and my rear bumper was already off because I'm putting an NWTI one on there and that was it. They actually did extra prep on their own, the wipers, door handles, mirrors, rack ribs as mentioned.....they really went above and beyond for $2100. How about this, when I dropped the truck off I asked the guy who did the quote with me how much people usually tip the guys doing the work and he said "don't worry about that these guys get paid well", he was actually pretty adamant that I didn't need to tip.

To be honest with you I would have been happy with a lot less but it looks great, the only thing that looked crappy was where the flares are going but I knew that going in because they were going to be covered up anyway. It's not perfect by any means but it's a hell of a lot more than "trail paint" that's for sure.

There are a bunch of Maaco's in the area and they all have garbage reviews but this one had great reviews, it's just a good shop I guess.
So, please be specific on which one.

We like to reward good work with more work.

Oh sorry didn’t know you were serious, it’s in Farmington Michigan. Tell them Francis with the landcruiser sent you, ask for Joe or Tim both good guys…

Your be surprised how many people read this forum and are looking for good work.

I know I will easily drive 70-100 miles to get known quality work done on something I can't do myself.

Mdej3

SILVER Star
Happy you had a HAPPY experience!!!

Anybody looking for paint / body on Florida or close let me know :cool:

Tampa Cruisers is waiting for all the IH8MUD business!

Manny.

I think the OP"s 80 looks good for the money.

Having said that it might help the Mud community if someone with work experience (painting vehicles) could start a FAQ level thread.

Something like "what to look for when having your 80 painted" or "how to paint your 80" to include which components/supplies to ask for, paint brands (what is good, what is kerapp), clear coat, primers, metal trreatments, bondo or not, addtiives, ----. Discuss removing the flares, door handles, roof rack, rear dust deflector, painting door jams, removing glass, ----

Would be nice to see the entire process with a list of supplies/recommended components/brand names, written down in one place from beginning to end.

There was one nice write up by someone who did it himself (with his son), I forget who it was, changed the body color to a Desert Tan with ?black hood section. He removed the doors, lift gate, and rear hatch IIRC.

Last edited:

Francis K

SILVER Star
Hey Francis, can I crash at your pad while my cruiser is being painted? Also, can I drive your Ferrari since my cruiser will be down for paint? Thanks in advance!

You would have to ask the 17lb rabbit that I live with, he runs the show at the house and the two extra bedrooms are his but he's cool just requires payment in banana. I wouldn't burden you with the Ferrari brother I have that $200 a month Nissan Frontier lease ready to rock for you!

IMG_0331.PNG

Paint job looks great! Wish there was a Maaco like this in every state - I'm off to find one that can do similarly priced (and comparable quality) work to my LJ78. Perhaps I should just drive it over to Michigan!

Mdej3

SILVER Star
I think the OP"s 80 looks good for the money.

Having said that it might help the Mud community if someone with work experience (painting vehicles) could start a FAQ level thread.

Something like "what to look for when having your 80 painted" or "how to paint your 80" to include which components/supplies to ask for, paint brands (what is good, what is kerapp), clear coat, primers, metal trreatments, bondo or not, addtiives, ----. Discuss removing the flares, door handles, roof rack, rear dust deflector, painting door jams, removing glass, ----

Would be nice to see the entire process with a list of supplies/recommended components/brand names, written down in one place from beginning to end.

There was one nice write up by someone who did it himself (with his son), I forget who it was, changed the body color to a Desert Tan with ?black hood section. He removed the doors, lift gate, and rear hatch IIRC.
I would be happy to help in this process. Don't have the time to be on the forum on a daily basis but always happy to share my knowledge on Cruiser paint and body. 27 Cruisers in the last 24 months!

Manny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom