Builds Elsie the FJ61 (12v LHD 60/61 hybrid)... It all started with a 2300 mile road trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey friends,

My son and I are embarking on a 2400 mile road trip next week to bring @slacker24-7 and subsequently @LoRide's '85 up from Arkansas to Seattle...yes this is the reason for the experimentation with the hand throttle ;). She'll be getting a once over from the mechanic prior to starting the journey and getting fluids, fuel filter, valve adjustment, and general once over.

I would appreciate any advice/suggestions from the collective regarding tools/spares I should bring.

Thoughts so far -

Tools --
1/4" Metric socket set with extensions
Wrenches - 10,12,14,17,21
Duct tape
Electrical tape
Spool of wire / crimper
Flathead/philips screwdrivers
Headlamp

Spares --
Hoses / clamps
Belts

Thanks!

lc2-12.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 9.09.19 PM.png

Not to be a pessimist, but I would get a AAA membership before leaving.

Looks like a great trip!

Not to be a pessimist, but I would get a AAA membership before leaving.

Looks like a great trip!

That's not pessimism, that's being smart. :)

I've got AAA Plus locked and loaded.

We did a similar trip last year from Atlanta to Seattle (Bow). I hit the first Harbor Freight I could find and bought some cheap disposable tools. Get some spare fuses- needed those after a bad rainstorm in Omaha. Don't ask.... Check your brakes before you go. Make sure the jack is there. And absolutely yes on the AAA.

Make sure your spare tire is good. Bring a roll of gorilla tape and enough tools to do a roadside repair. AAA for anything greater. Coolant hose failure or belt failure is most likely problem. Spare coolant and extra belts.

along the lines of the spare tire, do you have a lug wrench that fits? and a jack that will go tall enough.

I'd go 3/8" drive. And have spare belts for that long a trip.

Hey friends,

My son and I are embarking on a 2400 mile road trip next week to bring @slacker24-7 and subsequently @LoRide's '85 up from Arkansas to Seattle...yes this is the reason for the experimentation with the hand throttle ;). She'll be getting a once over from the mechanic prior to starting the journey and getting fluids, fuel filter, valve adjustment, and general once over.

I would appreciate any advice/suggestions from the collective regarding tools/spares I should bring.

Thoughts so far -

Tools --
1/4" Metric socket set with extensions
Wrenches - 10,12,14,17,21
Duct tape
Electrical tape
Spool of wire / crimper
Flathead/philips screwdrivers
Headlamp

Spares --
Hoses / clamps
Belts

Thanks!

View attachment 1981318

View attachment 1981319

along the lines of the spare tire, do you have a lug wrench that fits? and a jack that will go tall enough.

Great point - there's a hi-lift + wrench on board. :)

Bring the tools needed to check/retorque the manifolds. Day after day of driving will put the hurt on manifold gaskets and bolts, and the ability to torque them if they start leaking is nice. I speak from experience!

I would pack an alternator. Most parts stores will not carry the correct clocking of a 10 o'clock unit.

Chances are, its been replaced by a normal rebuilder quality unit. I had a 1 year old one go bad on my last trip and I bought a spare that wasn't the right clocking.

Wow. It is a paradox. What do I risk financially to my treasured 60...verses the cost to get the vehicle transported from Arkansas? And AAA ain't cheap! Carried it for years until I shifted to having my insurance company's roadside assistance coverage (USAA). I have to bow to all you guys who use these vehicles as daily drivers, much less undertake such a trip.

I love the idea of the road trip with your son, though. Best wishes for a safe trip.

I usually overkill the spares and tools. but aside from what you have maybe a big hammer , C- clamp, gasket maker, lock tight, a breaker bar, volt meter, and a lipo jump pack
Aside from what was mentioned already for spares, I would also take a spare oil filter, thermostat, fan belts, fluids, I have a spare smog pump and alternator ( i would take it on a long overlanding/ off the grid trip but not something that everyone else might take) . Also don't forget a tow strap.

If you need anything in or around Casper, WY, let me know.

agree with the tip - AAA.

you're spot on with your tool list.
rags/shop towels
gloves
tarp to lay on (just in case)

and then this...i've road tripped across wyoming many times...since you're in the area - I highly recommend Ten Sleep Brewing
ten sleep canyon is gorgeous - the brewery is pretty festive, they provide 2 dollar showers for the rock climbing community that lives there all summer long. Beer is good too!

also - good to know that if you're in need of service that you can't handle from the road - there's a Toyota dealer in Lander Wyoming:
Fremont Toyota - Lander . WY: Fremont Toyota Lander.

I had some work done on my Tacoma while I was in Wyoming for a month. they were fair.

Lander is not a bad place to be stuck if you had to be stuck...there's a city park that lets you camp free for 3 days - all they ask is that you move your tent every 3rd day so they can mow and water the grass. its full of rock climbers as well - great community of eclectic folks and a nice stream running through the park to let the dog run around/swim. if you had to limp into some random town - Lander would be a good one.

lastly - since you're in Wyoming you might as well pass through Tetons! (and maybe yellowstone??)

doesn't change your total mileage much.

i've spent a TON of time in Wyoming - PM me - I could give you pin drops for places you can camp for free - and also some great bars/restaurants in town too.

super jealous of your trip!! keep us posted along your adventure.

agree with the tip - AAA.

you're spot on with your tool list.
rags/shop towels
gloves
tarp to lay on (just in case)

and then this...i've road tripped across wyoming many times...since you're in the area - I highly recommend Ten Sleep Brewing
ten sleep canyon is gorgeous - the brewery is pretty festive, they provide 2 dollar showers for the rock climbing community that lives there all summer long. Beer is good too!

also - good to know that if you're in need of service that you can't handle from the road - there's a Toyota dealer in Lander Wyoming:
Fremont Toyota - Lander . WY: Fremont Toyota Lander.

I had some work done on my Tacoma while I was in Wyoming for a month. they were fair.

Lander is not a bad place to be stuck if you had to be stuck...there's a city park that lets you camp free for 3 days - all they ask is that you move your tent every 3rd day so they can mow and water the grass. its full of rock climbers as well - great community of eclectic folks and a nice stream running through the park to let the dog run around/swim. if you had to limp into some random town - Lander would be a good one.

lastly - since you're in Wyoming you might as well pass through Tetons! (and maybe yellowstone??)

doesn't change your total mileage much.

i've spent a TON of time in Wyoming - PM me - I could give you pin drops for places you can camp for free - and also some great bars/restaurants in town too.
View attachment 1981629

super jealous of your trip!! keep us posted along your adventure.

Will do! thank you. :)

Shifted route :)

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 10.49.38 AM.png

Last edited:
Most of my kit is already built and ready to go.

Tools --
1/4" and 3/8 Metric socket set with extensions and ratchet (for 1/4 you can use an adapter from 3/8-1/4)
Breaker bar (or extended ratchet)
Wrenches - 10,12,14,17,21 (make sure you do not have any odd nuts)
Adjustable wrench (while most hate this, I find they work well when used right and in a pinch)
Pry bar (short)
Duct tape
Electrical tape
Spool of wire / wire stripper, side cutters, crimper / Electrical kit with ends, fuses
Hammer
Small drift or punch
Various Vice grips and pliers
Flathead/Philips screwdrivers (large and small lengths)
Headlamp (also get a good magnetic LED lamp as well)
Everything to change a tire and make sure it all is in working order
Good jumper cables
A sharp knife (utility, or otherwise)

Other
Rags or 2 rolls of shop towels
Bailing wire or stainless wire (in case you need to hold something in place)
Tie Wraps (Metal, plastic whatever)

Spares --
Hoses / clamps
Belts
Fuel filter (x2)
Vacuum line (small roll)
Plugs
Dist cap/ rotor
Fuel pump

Fluids
WD40
Kroll or PB blaster type of break oil
Engine oil
Gear oil
PS fluid
Brake Fluid
Coolant (50/50 mix)
Gasket maker
Crazy glue (works great to stop bleeding)

Extras I bring (I am going on a 4K trip this summer so I carry a few extras)
1/2" sockets with ratchet (common size)
Hub socket and rear axle socket (I have a FF)
Extra fuel
Washer fluid (hate running out)
Extra bulbs (front, rear external and head lights)
Tire repair kit
Extra engine, gear and other oils
Manual (paperback)
First aid kit
Tarp

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom