Builds Elsie the FJ61 (12v LHD 60/61 hybrid)... It all started with a 2300 mile road trip (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think I fixed it (Fingers crossed). I just loosened the water pump belt that I had tightened pretty hard and the knocking seems to have gone away. Will know if actually fixed once we get on the road.

Nope. She had a valve adjustment just before we left Little Rock and I found 4 nuts on the rocker arms today that needed a smidge of tightening as compared to the rest (arms 1-4 from the front). Seems better will see on the road (fingers crossed).

Bonus first time lifting the valve cover - turns out not a big deal. :)

59FC2B48-3976-4252-8CEC-D296981F2228.jpeg

604EC4A7-9701-4846-8FA7-C29BF6989EB3.jpeg

You know I am actually the reverse of what is being suggested for roads tools and spares. I say skip it all. You're underway now so this is moot. But for future reads.. I think part of the problem is stressing over all the spares to bring. You know you can't plan for every darn thing and most stuff can be over nighted Fed Ex from somewhere. Every town has an auto parts store. You are not in the boonies. I say on remote travels it is different. But not going across country.

I say a cell phone (AAA), a real map, and standard roadside safety equipment. Flares etc Small toolkit. I like to also carry some water and blankets. Most of know what our cruisers consume (oils fluids etc). So we can plan that too.

My 60 I would not hesitate to jump in and drive 2000 miles. I trust it. That said my clutch master failed a couple days back :( But you cannot plan for it all.

We made it home safe and sound. We finished up with a long run from Emigrant, MT to Seattle in one day after spending a couple of days with our friends Jeff and Robin at their amazing Reedfly ranch. Sitting in their back yard watching the yellowstone river flowing by listening to all of the wildlife was simply amazing.

Thanks again for all of the advice and well wishes.

p.s. I would be in physical therapy right now with 5 days of driving without the manual throttle :) @joebattle1 installation pictures are much better than mine.

Onwards. :)

-Ophir

IMG_9863.jpg
IMG_9967.jpg

IMG_9862.jpg

Last edited:
What a great trip. Good to see another 60 series in Seattle!

I think I fixed it (Fingers crossed). I just loosened the water pump belt that I had tightened pretty hard and the knocking seems to have gone away. Will know if actually fixed once we get on the road.

I’ve had the same symptoms from a loose belt being overtightened.

You’ve got to find that perfect balance.

The best tool you could possibly carry is a 1970's Honda CT90 on the back. That way you have a lifeboat that is the most reliable vehicle in the history of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom