23 yo cruiser.. How soon will I need a rebuild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you are going to med school sell it and walk away.

You have bigger fish to fry.

Find something u can drive and run the piss out of. Save your money and collect very min debt.
OR, forget med school, go to trade school, keep the cruiser and skip the 500k debt.

The way it looks, late model Toyotas are wayyyy too rich for my blood. I can't come up with an extra 5k

I can consider using transportation budget from student loans for making payments on a 2012ish when theyre 10 years old but I know how fast that adds up.

And Im also not sure it would be THAT much more reliable with the luck that some people have had with later model stuff.

If Im wrong please say so

The way it looks, late model Toyotas are wayyyy too rich for my blood. I can't come up with an extra 5k

I can consider using transportation budget from student loans for making payments on a 2012ish when theyre 10 years old but I know how fast that adds up.

And Im also not sure it would be THAT much more reliable with the luck that some people have had with later model stuff.

If Im wrong please say so
Suck it up and live close enough to use public transportation. You have the cart in front of the horse right now.

OR, forget med school, go to trade school, keep the cruiser and skip the 500k debt.

Gotta pay to play. There's absolutely nothing wrong with trades, but with medicine is all I can see myself doing.

Suck it up and live close enough to use public transportation. You have the cart in front of the horse right now.

I'm apt to agree with you until I wonder what Im going to drive in 2 years that will be dead nuts reliable and doesn't cost 8k+ plus interest with no guarantees

Gotta pay to play. There's absolutely nothing wrong with trades, but with medicine is all I can see myself doing.
And that’s a great thing which I respect. I’m thinking that if I were you, I wouldn’t be fussing over a car right now.

I don't know, I wouldn't sell personally. The MPG is s***ty, but other than that I'm pretty blown away as a newish (1 year) owner by how little attention 80s need. I always change my oil and with this vehicle I have done coolant and am getting ready to do the differential fluid, but really it's pretty shocking how well it runs for a 22 year old vehicle. Sure I'd love to get better mileage or have a bit more power in the engine but a good number of my friends drive significantly newer used cars and they just run like s***: all kinds of rattling, parts breaking, and power loss - legitimately serious problems.

It's hard to say when it's your only vehicle. If you're experiencing major issues like the stall regularly, get rid of it, but otherwise, why not keep it? Sounds like you got a deal.

I'm apt to agree with you until I wonder what Im going to drive in 2 years that will be dead nuts reliable and doesn't cost 8k+ plus interest with no guarantees
Deal with one day at a time. Planning is good but it can reduce our effectiveness in the now.

And that’s a great thing which I respect. I’m thinking that if I were you, I wouldn’t be fussing over a car right now.

Trust me, I think you're right.

In two years I have to pay an avg of 1000 to the 8-10 schools I apply to.

What do you recommend I drive from that point on? Because I will need something and having a crap disposable beater would harm me more then, than fussing about it now.

Is making a payment on a 15yo vehicle once Im accepted the best route to go? It would be 20+yo as well when I start really needing 100% reliability for the last 4-5 years.

I'm all ears and thanks all for your thoughts

I'm still gonna puke if I sell the fzj for a lot less than I think I should get. I've had 15yo vehicles or newer that gave me lots of trouble and weren't as mechanically solid.

Maybe leasing with student loan funds is the way to go at that point.

I think the answer to me if I'm in your shoes is simple: I'm selling it and getting a 90-95 Toyota truck. You can grab them all day for $4k or less. You won't need to worry about the snow because it will be a 4x4, the 22re is pretty effing legendary, timing chains are a worry, but I think they're easier to work on than a land cruiser is. I've had 3 of them in the last 15 years, and every time I sell one, I hate myself.

I'd also be working my tail off in the summers and any spare time I had. Don't wanna sound like a dick, but you chose this route, so work your tail off and see it through.

Also, what price point are you looking at to sell it?

Financing a car with student loans makes no sense at all. Are you currently working? Sounds like you graduate in two years? If so I am not sure I understand why you can’t get a job and save some money? And please don’t tell me you’re working too hard in undergrad.

If you pick up a part time job and work 15-20 hours a week at $10-12/hr in the next two years you can make $15-24k.

I assume you’re taking out student loans now? Going to med school is going to be very expensive and there are very few loans that don’t start accruing interest the minute you accept payment. So if you use them for school, living, financing a car, bills, etc. they will compound interest quickly and it’s not likely you’ll make any substantial payments during residency since you’re only making $55k for 3-6 years and you’ll end up with a mountain of debt. I know a surgeon with $470k of total student loan debt.

If I were you I would 100% suck it up now and work part time, work as much as you possibly can and save as much money as you can. Drive the 80 for the next two years and then when you’re sitting on $15k you’ll be in a much better position to ask this question. Plus you’ll know where you’re going to school and if you need 4x4.

If you get a good job I might even postpone med school for a year and continue to work and live at home, save money. The more cash you can bring to the table the less you will be financing and accruing interest under the Plus loans at 7+% for 7-10 years.

That first year of school at $100,000 @7% compounded over 10 years (4 years med school, 3-6 years residency, 6-9 months deferral period) will be $170,000. So the more of the first year you can pay the more you’ll significant reduce your financial load later.

I’d be looking for best toyota or Honda small car I could afford.

Financing a car with student loans makes no sense at all. Are you currently working? Sounds like you graduate in two years? If so I am not sure I understand why you can’t get a job and save some money? And please don’t tell me you’re working too hard in undergrad.

If you pick up a part time job and work 15-20 hours a week at $10-12/hr in the next two years you can make $15-24k.

I assume you’re taking out student loans now? Going to med school is going to be very expensive and there are very few loans that don’t start accruing interest the minute you accept payment. So if you use them for school, living, financing a car, bills, etc. they will compound interest quickly and it’s not likely you’ll make any substantial payments during residency since you’re only making $55k for 3-6 years and you’ll end up with a mountain of debt. I know a surgeon with $470k of total student loan debt.

If I were you I would 100% suck it up now and work part time, work as much as you possibly can and save as much money as you can. Drive the 80 for the next two years and then when you’re sitting on $15k you’ll be in a much better position to ask this question. Plus you’ll know where you’re going to school and if you need 4x4.

If you get a good job I might even postpone med school for a year and continue to work and live at home, save money. The more cash you can bring to the table the less you will be financing and accruing interest under the Plus loans at 7+% for 7-10 years.

That first year of school at $100,000 @7% compounded over 10 years (4 years med school, 3-6 years residency, 6-9 months deferral period) will be $170,000. So the more of the first year you can pay the more you’ll significant reduce your financial load later.

Really great advice, but I am in fact working so hard in undergrad that I'm burning the candle at both ends.

Brutally hard work and an incredible amount of hours studying is the reality of university level science courses.

This isn't business or humanities. Suggesting that it shouldn't be very hard is a little out of touch to begin with, before remembering that merely graduating isn't good enough and only top grades make the cut.

Many can't imagine the amount of work that goes in to classes so tough that the avg exam scores are consistently 61-63%.. It is no joke and not easy to stay on top of it all, plus the volunteering I do each week, plus research.

Yes, I am working that hard and yes, it is necessary. Working too much and sacrificing my grades would ruin everything so it's a fine line. It takes every available hour to get the grades I do and it is in fact very hard work. 60-70 hrs every week just for class time and studying

I will be tutoring the last 2 years as an on-campus job, because trying to work labor jobs at night has caused my grades to slip

I think you're right about everything, except about the time and effort required

Really great advice, but I am in fact working so hard in undergrad that I'm burning the candle at both ends.

Brutally hard work and an incredible amount of hours studying is the reality of university level science courses.

This isn't business or humanities. Suggesting that it shouldn't be very hard is a little out of touch to begin with, before remembering that merely graduating isn't good enough and only top grades make the cut.

Many can't imagine the amount of work that goes in to classes so tough that the avg exam scores are consistently 61-63%.. It is no joke and not easy to stay on top of it all, plus the volunteering I do each week, plus research.

Yes, I am working that hard and yes, it is necessary. Working too much and sacrificing my grades would ruin everything so it's a fine line. It takes every available hour to get the grades I do and it is in fact very hard work. 60-70 hrs every week just for class time and studying

I will be tutoring the last 2 years as an on-campus job, because trying to work labor jobs at night has caused my grades to slip

I think you're right about everything, except about the time and effort required

@scottryana just finished Med school........ he also rebuilt two trucks while going to school.

I think the answer to me if I'm in your shoes is simple: I'm selling it and getting a 90-95 Toyota truck. You can grab them all day for $4k or less. You won't need to worry about the snow because it will be a 4x4, the 22re is pretty effing legendary, timing chains are a worry, but I think they're easier to work on than a land cruiser is. I've had 3 of them in the last 15 years, and every time I sell one, I hate myself.

I'd also be working my tail off in the summers and any spare time I had. Don't wanna sound like a dick, but you chose this route, so work your tail off and see it through.

Also, what price point are you looking at to sell it?

I have mine listed at $1500 but I live in an extremely poor area so nobody has even come to look at it. Just the standard 800 dollar offers.

I considered your idea about a 22re previously but Im not sinking 3x as much money into something even older

Well lets be completely honest, I only started on 1 truck while in school and it is far from being done. But I did work a full-time job, 55-60hrs a week while doing my prerequisites and then worked in the hospital during school as basically a CNA (WHICH I WOULD HIGHLY ENCOURAGE TO ANYONE THINKING ABOUT MEDICINE. Get on different floors, go work in the Surgical ICU, go to the ED, go to Burn, go to Medical ICU, go to Gen/Surg, go work in a clinic, etc) most major hospitals will have a Float Pool that has CNA's it is the best way to see what you are getting yourself into before all the Med School debt. It is flexible, I worked 12-20hrs a week and still maintained my studies. I have several friends now that have mountains of debt and are saying they don't want to be doctors.

I don't think anyone should work during grad school given the choice, but having 4 degrees I would say if you cannot find any extra time during undergrad you will need to reevaluate your habits for grad schools. Just my $0.02.

@scottryana just finished Med school........ he also rebuilt two trucks while going to school.

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the very informed replies. It means a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom