23 mpg over 600 miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did it again last week. Drove from somewhere in Montana to somewhere in Wyoming. Most of the drive was through extensive prairie and very sparse in terms of gas stations, so I didn't push it to 600 miles on the clock before getting fuel. I might have stranded my self next to some buffalo had I done that. But I can assure you I would have clicked past 600 miles on this one tank: View attachment 920179View attachment 920180View attachment 920181View attachment 920182

Btw, I don't draft. It's a good way to eat the back of a semi trailer. Tires are set to 57 psi cold.

Was that using straight gas without ethanol?

Unfortunately no. Some of the time it was 10% ethanol 87 and I actually had to pour 85 octane (not to be confused with E-85) into it when nothing else was available. It's sparse out there. If you haven't traveled through Montana and Wyoming, you haven't felt true loneliness

Now that I have my front air locker installed and diff repaired and the front prop shaft is hooked back up I wanted to try one more run with the truck in normal awd mode. Uploading these photos real time. Currently just outside of lincoln Nebraska and heading east.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406311526.413103.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406314887.463188.jpg

Do you think the gauge moves particularly slowly in that range?

Hold on... I thought you were giving me this rig? Now that it is 4WD again, you're going to hate it. Especially with that ARB!

Here's the deal, filled up finally tonight and calculated the mileage. 23.14 mpg. What's special about it this time, is that we ran the a/c the entire run (it's 100 degrees in Nebraska today) and the drivetrain is all put back together. Not running around in 2wd anymore. I'm getting over 600 miles out of tank.
I've done this three times now. But honestly, it's a pain to do. Was fun doing it. I don't think it's possible to squeeze a better number than 23 out of this truck. Anyway, as elhefe said, I am now triple locked so I'll be entertaining myself other ways now :)

Elhefe, the gauge isn't linear but it shouldn't be reading half a tank at 400 miles on the odo. That pretty much never happens unless you're trying to make it happen. And, now that I've fully absorbed the $3500 hit, I'm falling back in love with my 100 again.

That's still awesome mileage Bean. How are you making this happen? Just running at a steady 55 MPH the whole time?

I think we need pics of your floor boards to confirm you're not running the Flintstone drivetrain mod.

I wanna try hypermiling like this on my next trip to Oklahoma City. It's only about a 4 hour drive, so I figure the difference between 55 and 75 shouldn't be too noticeable.

It's roughly a 25% difference. So your 4 hour drive becomes a 5 hour one.

it's not a solid 75 the entire way though, 75 is more the "max" speed. It's a little over 200 miles door to door, so my average speed over the whole trip is only barely above 50. I'm guessing that the trip will take about 4 hours and 30 minutes if I cruise at 55 instead of 75.

Pretty much just set the cruise at 55 or slightly under and never floor the throttle, never allow RPMs to get above 2000 on acceleration, and park your rear in the slow lane for the duration of the trip. Air up your tires too. I can't emphasize enough how much of a difference it makes running 57 psi versus my normal 35.

Can you calculate the dollar per hour "earnings "that the increased fuel economy would gain you?

We just left for ouray, 24 hours of driving in front of us, trying to figure out if the savings would be worth all the extra time spent in the car!

In round numbers, doing 55 miles an hour versus the 72 that we are averaging now on our trip would take an extra 7+ hours.

We are getting 14 miles per gallon right now and let's assume that we would get 21 miles per gallon doing 55. If gas is four dollars a gallon, that's an additional 40 gallons or $160.

That's about $22 an hour, not considering that an extra 3 to 4 hours in the car each day might cost us another meal. Or our sanity!

Lol. That's actually a brilliant calculation. What's your time worth? In our case, my next concert was 8 hours away and we had two days to get there haha. So I took my time. It's pretty relaxing chilling in the slow lane. Here in MO the speed limit is 65 anyway so 55 is doable. But trust me, I normally average 16 mpg the way I typically drive, so this was more for fun than anything.

My best mpg out of the 80 on 255/85's was 19.7 through yellowstone country
My best mpg out of the 100 has been 19.
Good job getting 23. 23mpg out of a 100 is totally doable. A real hypermiler with P&G techniques could get 25 mpg from a hundy. Those who don't believe it are uninformed.
Our hundy doesn't spend a lot of time on road trips anymore getting good mileage. It's for just around town use now. I get 13-15 around town like everybody else.
With 4 kids we had to get something bigger for road trips. I found a rare crew cab conversion p-pump cummins with a 5 speed. My last road trip was 22.6 mpg with a bed full of gear and I've never tuned it up. 25 mpg will be fully possible in this old dodge. Living in wyoming helps a lot. Not many cars on the road and nobody is in a hurry.

Diesels low end torque is a whole nuther ball game in terms of killer mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom