22re running rich (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys.i'm finishing my94 pickup project right now and just pull the truck outside to test the ride, it starts fine and runs good when cold but when it worms up a little bit it hesitates on take off and it looks like its running rich with black smoke coming out of tail pipe. im new to 22re engines so im asking whats the most common problem with them running rich? also i have a inline aftermarket fuel pump and a fuel cell,maybe it puts out to much fuel pressure and the regulator can't keep up?
thanks.

Could be several things:

- Cold start injector could be leaky, any or all injectors could also be leaky. You could look at your plugs to see if any one of them are more sooty than the rest.

- Could be your o2 sensor. I'm not really sure how to test this, I know you can ohm out the heater and you could monitor the voltage that it sends back to the computer, but I'm not expert on o2 sensors.

- My truck had the VAFM flapper stuck open which made the computer read too much air and dump a lot of fuel into the cylinders. That's a free and easy check to do. 4crawler has a procedure on his website for troubleshooting the VAFM with an ohm-meter.

- How is the air filter?

the air filter is new. and the vafm seems to be free and moving fine. thinking of running some injection cleaner this week on it. i was thinking it could be the o2 sensor but didn't have time to check it yet. the check engine show up but i don't know how to check the OBD1 codes.

the air filter is new. and the vafm seems to be free and moving fine. thinking of running some injection cleaner this week on it. i was thinking it could be the o2 sensor but didn't have time to check it yet. the check engine show up but i don't know how to check the OBD1 codes.

How many PSI is your aftermarket fuel pump putting out? For the check engine codes you need to jumper the test port under the hood then count the blink pattern the check engine light does.

ok John. ill try that tomorrow. the fuel pump is some generic junk that my friend gave me with the truck, no name,
see u in two weeks. hopefully my junk will be running fine by then, we will try to shoot the moon on friday.

so checked the check engine light yesterday, code 27-O2 sensor. just changed the sensor and still was running rich, checked the vafm flapper and it was stuck open more than it should be on idle. sprayed some pb blaster on the hinge part and moved it free.Now starts and runs like a Toyota. Now i need to erase the O2 sensor code, tried to disconnect the battery but check engine still on. is there a procedure to clear the codes?

ok i will try that today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom