22re Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All:

I admit, no expert here with the 22re motors as I’ve owned numerous F, 2F and 3F Landcruisers. I looking to purchase a 85 SR5 Xtra Cab 4x4. It has 185k miles on the clock, owner maintained, new head gasket top end about 5 k miles ago, timing chain, owner is a straight shooter, long maintenance documentation. It does however burn 1 qt of oil about every 1000 miles or so. It’s in Nevada, I’m in California so there has been a lot of texting back and forth. Is the burning oil a deal killer?

Thanks

Mike

Is the burning oil a deal killer?

Not at 185K, and you are willing to dump some in on occasion. Keep in mind that syn oil will pass the rings faster than conventional, so you might ask him what oil he is using.

I wouldn't worry about it. Hell, I had a new 22re Performance engine built and I use Mobil 1 5w30 and it burns about 1 quart every 2500 miles. It's not burning it and it's not leaking, it just that Mobil 1 is so thin it cooks off.

I used some Rotella for one oil change and it didn't cook a bit, so I know it's just the Mobil 1. However, I just can't quit the stuff.

Synthics just burn off in the 22re for me, but I like the protection so I run it.

That’s about how much mine (87) burns or leaks also. As long as it isn’t going anywhere else other that up in smoke or on the driveway, that’s fine for an old 22RE.

Problem for me, non-California emissions approved. So glad I had someone look at it.

6C17FC62-455A-425B-8593-1EAB267BCE8A.jpeg
1DE435EF-F657-43DF-90D5-E9B8E5293151.jpeg
6D920162-2762-47C4-9453-543B33F508B8.jpeg
7E9033B6-A317-4ECA-AA61-C8CB6BAA4682.jpeg
I was so wrong on the emissions, it’s now sitting in my driveway. 1st non-Landcruiser Toyota for me.

Man that is sweet, congrats. Not too keen on the dash pad color, though.

If you want to figure out where the oil is going, do a leak down test. Could be something as simple as valve stem seals, especially if they are original.

Man that is sweet, congrats. Not too keen on the dash pad color, though.

If you want to figure out where the oil is going, do a leak down test. Could be something as simple as valve stem seals, especially if they are original.

Yup, just going to cover it with a dash mat for now. Nice that it doesn’t have a single crack, I completely restored my FJ62 dash, SEM makes high quality paint that works great. Drove it home from Vegas to LA, ran great, passed emissions. Love that it’s an 85, solid front axle, fuel injected, xtra cab. Love it.

modern oil doesn't have enough zinc in it for the old engines. i would suggest you run some Rotella T5 10w-40 diesel oil in it. the 40 will be a little thicker (compensate for the wear over the years and help reduce the oil consumption). the zinc in the diesel oil will help minimize bearing wear which will increase longevity.

It was nice meeting you Mike. I hope you enjoy the truck! I've really enjoyed the truck but now can focus on my 95 FZJ80 that I bought last year. The group of guys here in the forum are very helpful if you need anything. Thanks Pappy for all of your help.

modern oil doesn't have enough zinc in it for the old engines. i would suggest you run some Rotella T5 10w-40 diesel oil in it. the 40 will be a little thicker (compensate for the wear over the years and help reduce the oil consumption). the zinc in the diesel oil will help minimize bearing wear which will increase longevity.

Not sure about that. I know it's true for old lifter/push rod engines like the F/2F/3FE, but I don't think this applies to over-head cam engines. Bottom line is, zinc doesn't hurt.

Disclaimer: I do run ZDDP in my 2FE.

2C4A8800-F357-49EA-8F90-17362DCB30A5.jpeg
F4689DD7-0E93-48E7-BA17-32F3ACADBDCF.jpeg
It was nice meeting you Mike. I hope you enjoy the truck! I've really enjoyed the truck but now can focus on my 95 FZJ80 that I bought last year. The group of guys here in the forum are very helpful if you need anything. Thanks Pappy for all of your help.

Thank You Pat, very excited about the pickup. Thanks for making it happen, good luck with the 80. It looks nice next to my 40 and 45.

Best

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom