22re problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 89 toyota pickup with the 22re. it seems to have a lack of power untill i get the rpm's up a little then it "catches" and goes fine. then sometimes it works fine. ive read some other people have what sounds like the same problem and solution was the wiring for the injectors rotting. Except every one i read they had one cylinder missing, mine is running on all four. could the wiring still be the problem?

TPS may need adjusting and or replacement, Clogged fuel filter, dirty fuel injectors, weak fuel pump?

Codes? Have you started there? I'm gong to add a failed OX sensor to the above list.

I suspect it's not the infamous short to the injectors. Your truck would run rough all the time. Though, if you feel so inclined it can't hurt to take the time and dig into the harness and just fix it. There are several splices in the harness that are held together with pinch clamps. Injectors 1 & 2 are spliced together, and 3 & 4 are spliced together. Plus, the grounds are spliced in several places. The wires at those splices are more or less exposed and the wires rot. Your friend is solder and shrink tubing, along with some extra wire. Or, you should be able to purchase new injector connectors with a short pigtail (which is what I did). It is also easier to fix with the harness out of the truck on the garage floor. Pic shows a pair of new connectors with the splices.

But, I would start with the easy stuff before you tackle the harness. Usually problems have easy solutions.

IMGP5312.jpg

Last edited:
Make sure it's timed correctly. 22RE needs a Jumper so the timing ends up set properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom